Gransnet forums

Relationships

My Friend.

(38 Posts)
beautybumble Wed 24-Nov-21 23:12:04

Hi. My best friend and I call each other several times a week and we get on so well. He lives 240 miles away from me, he's a widower and still mourns his dear wife. I've supported him as much as possible considering we can't meet up very often and always will. He's very lonely and so am I. We are so close that I do sometimes wish we could be together, but neither of us can move because of certain commitments. I've been alone after divorce for 25 years, that long because I was very unhappy with my cruel and selfish husband. My friend and I have recently been talking about how nice it would be to be held and have someone to go out with, etc etc. I feel so very much alone all the time and wish he lived closer, but sadly nothing can be done. There are no answers but it would be nice to hear your opinions. We're both in our early 70s and have known each other since we were 18.

muse Thu 25-Nov-21 10:43:41

I knew my DH when I was 18 and him 19. We lived quite a distance apart then so the relationship stopped after a few months. Like you beautybumble I then went on to have a very unhappy marriage and eventually left my ex.

My DH and I discovered each other again after 44 years but the distance apart was even greater (350 miles). We talked on the phone for hours and after 4 weeks we decided to meet half way. A lovely B+B was booked with a room each. After two wonderful days I invited DH to visit me and I then visited him.

After four visits we decided to live together. I sold and moved to live with him as he still worked. One year later we married. This year we've celebrated 5 years together.

My family were over the moon that I had found such a lovely person and encouraged me to grab that happiness. I left all my family and friends behind to be with DH. I do still miss my friends but family come to stay with us. I occasionally visit my DD.

You've had short visits to each other. Try that visit for a month beautybumble. I wish you so much happiness. DH and I are in our early 70's too.

Calistemon Thu 25-Nov-21 10:49:31

That proves that where's there's a will there's a way, muse.

I think you should take the plunge and suggest meeting, make arrangements, beautybumble then at least you will know one way or another and can move forwards.

DiscoDancer1975 Thu 25-Nov-21 12:26:29

You need to think more of you, and less about commitments. I’m sure if he feels the same, he could lessen his workload. It may mean you spending more time at his place, but why not?

The point is...you’re lonely, so something is missing in your family’s commitment to you.

Just do it beautybumble. You’ll regret it if you don’t.

All the best?

beautybumble Thu 25-Nov-21 19:05:04

No Lucca, 8 hours door to door.

beautybumble Thu 25-Nov-21 19:13:36

DiscoDancer1975. You've hit the nail on the head. I will rethink it all and do something positive. Thank you all for your kindness, its made things seem clearer.

Lucca Thu 25-Nov-21 19:59:01

beautybumble

No Lucca, 8 hours door to door.

Goodness how far are you both from a station ? Just asking !!

GillT57 Thu 25-Nov-21 20:46:36

Maybe a nice long weekend in a country hotel somewhere and spend a bit of time somewhere neutral where nobody is hosting or cooking or worrying. Life is short, grab it. Muse, your story is lovely as is yours peas blossom.

LauraNorderr Thu 25-Nov-21 20:54:12

Now that’s a lovely romantic tale muse, perhaps that’ll inspire you beautybumble, go for it.

Puzzled Fri 26-Nov-21 16:14:07

There is no rehearsal for life.
Yesterday, we attended the funeral of dear S i L.
I regret the things that I did not do for M mi L F i L and my parents.
If you want to do something; find a way to do it!
At least you will have a better knowledge of how things stand between you.
You might be denying the companionship that you both crave.
Find out!

DiscoDancer1975 Fri 26-Nov-21 17:15:22

beautybumble

DiscoDancer1975. You've hit the nail on the head. I will rethink it all and do something positive. Thank you all for your kindness, its made things seem clearer.

You’re very welcome. Hope things work out for you ?

MerylStreep Fri 26-Nov-21 17:27:27

My late mother in law was still travelling to Abergele from Southend in her 80s.
Her man friend ? would visit her. When he visited we were told not to visit mum as he was embarrassed.

Hithere Fri 26-Nov-21 17:33:14

OP

You seem to have romantized this "relationship"

Are you sure he sees the same way you do?

If anybody wants something or somebody, nothing stops that person from achieving it