Gransnet forums

Relationships

Concerned about worsening relationship between son and grandson

(27 Posts)
Grandmabatty Fri 21-Jan-22 12:00:41

You don't get involved except to listen to your son. It may be that your grandson is particularly difficult or it may be that he's acting as many teenagers do. Does your son ask for advice? If not, say nothing. If so, suggest he leaves the room if his son is rude. Ask him what he thinks he should do and how he could accomplish it. Are he and his wife in agreement on behaviour discipline? Be available for your grandson too. Listen to him but don't judge. If you get involved you risk falling out with your son, your daughter in law or your grandson. I was a difficult teenager and grew into a reasonable adult.

YankeeGran Fri 21-Jan-22 11:46:17

Grandson Jack is a volatile and spoiled 15 year old who shows no respect for his father and only does a little better with his mother. I believe this is because he was indulged from a young age and never reprimanded or pulled up short for what I call 'backtalk' or sassing. I remember saying to my son when Jack was 9 or 10, that if he didn't put a stop to this, it would only get worse. And hey ho! (I have NEVER said, I told you so.)
Now that Jack is a teen, the verbal battering his father gets is almost unrelenting. There are good days, but they are notable for being the exception. My son says that, of course, he loves Jack but this constant battering is driving him away to the point where he fears eventual estrangement. I am not a psychologist or a therapist and while I would do anything to help the situation, I am at a loss.
Suggestions, anyone?