Gransnet forums

Relationships

Manfriend

(73 Posts)
User7777 Wed 23-Mar-22 10:12:08

Hi, need advice. Manfriend of 3 months although I knew him in my 20s.
Forgot my birthday, talks endlessly about old girlfriends, cuts our calls if someone else rings on his other line. Always morose, about everything, always reason he cant do something. Such as chores . Calls too much. Any thoughts... not in relationship yet. He's pushing for relationship to happen.

Madgran77 Wed 30-Mar-22 14:08:34

User7777

Well, I have not met him since my 20s. It's all phone calls from him. I decided to block as I was feeling uneasy. Although he was a family friend back then. I am not easily swayed. Been alone and happy for decades.. someone mutual gave him my number. Changing it tomoz. I find it sad how he turned out. I was being supportive due to his ill health. Havent dated him or anyone else for long time so was unsure if his comments re, girlfriends was the norm now. Clearly not, thank you for your comments. I made a decision based on your answers.

Wise decision! flowers

Startingover61 Wed 30-Mar-22 11:40:30

The only answer to this is - get rid! Everything is on his terms. Do you really want or need someone like that in your life? Look at all the positives in your life and tell yourself what you’d be giving up if you took this person on.

timetogo2016 Thu 24-Mar-22 13:26:29

Change your number and don`t invite him to your house.
He sounds like hard work.

Katie59 Thu 24-Mar-22 13:22:05

One subject should be taboo is any detail about a previous relationship, any comparisons are very offputting.
In my case my OH knows my husband and I knew his wife, we both avoid any references.
BTW we knew each other before getting together, there was no prior relationship.

Janamax Thu 24-Mar-22 09:33:37

Not exactly a charmer, is he. Give him the push. You don't need such negativity in your life.

DaisyAnne Thu 24-Mar-22 07:32:38

Oops, sorry. Just seen the OP has decided.

DaisyAnne Thu 24-Mar-22 07:31:31

User7777

I have not said I want a relationship with him. In our 20s we all loved him as a person. Meaning my entire family. I feel very slow to reciprocate but he is very keen for a full on relationship whereas my initial intention was to be supportive. But he is very weepy, especially at night. On the phone of course. I have had a blow by blow account of previous girlfriends antics in his bedroom. Very off putting , even asking what I would do in bedroom. I feel cornered

Shouldn't he be paying for that sort of conversation? If you want him just for sex I would say go ahead and make sure you get just what YOU want. Otherwise, what exactly is he offering you?

LadyStardust Thu 24-Mar-22 07:27:37

H1954 - Full! Of course. blush

LadyStardust Thu 24-Mar-22 07:24:48

Lilypops - RTFT = Read the * flippin * thread. grin

H1954 Thu 24-Mar-22 07:21:48

Lilypops

FannyCornforth

Lucca

OP. Has already said she has blocked him and made her decision !
RTFT

Oh no, is it one of them ?
If the thread goes into the Newsletter email thingy we’ll never hear the end of it…

What is RTFT. ?

Probably.......Read the full thread....but I'd put money on it not being 'full', no doubt another word being with F that is extremely rude, seems the GN police are on duty already?

Katie59 Thu 24-Mar-22 07:19:40

You don’t need advice you just need to stop seeing him, this is not one of the good men

Lilypops Thu 24-Mar-22 07:17:46

FannyCornforth

Lucca

RTFT

If the thread goes into the Newsletter email thingy we’ll never hear the end of it…

What is RTFT. ?

H1954 Thu 24-Mar-22 07:14:55

It sounds like he is very needy and is hedging his bets for a relationship with someone, just anyone, which might explain him cutting a call to you to speak to someone else.

If he doesn't like doing chores then give this man a wide berth, he could be seeking a relationship with someone who will fetch, carry, clean-up, cook and generally be a dogs body.

You are far better than that and deserve so much more, he's definitely punching way above his weight.........walk away lady!

Shelflife Thu 24-Mar-22 07:11:17

Think you already know what to do. Get rid asap!!!!!

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Mar-22 07:03:40

Lucca

RTFT

Lucca Thu 24-Mar-22 04:46:15

RTFT

Lauren59 Thu 24-Mar-22 04:30:31

Much better to be single than put up with a man like that!

jeanie99 Thu 24-Mar-22 01:56:09

Did you say man friend, that's not how friends behave.
Tell him to take a long jump off a short plank.

FarNorth Wed 23-Mar-22 21:36:24

thank you for your comments. I made a decision based on your answers.

Well done.
Please think about why you were tolerating him at all.
You seem to have been much too polite and should have been able to decide, on your own, to give him the heave.

Tusue Wed 23-Mar-22 21:33:14

I thought most of us on this forum had learnt the hard lessons in life, if he doesn’t bring you joy of any kind and it honestly sounds joyless already then it’s time to pull on your big girl pants, turn and run for the hills wink

Serendipity22 Wed 23-Mar-22 21:23:16

Wow ! A definite no brainer.

For me I would put the block on THAT quick sharp.

smile

rafichagran Wed 23-Mar-22 20:43:00

Glad you are getting rid, he sounds a self absorbed bore. A cryer who talks about his antics in the bedroom.
Enjoy being on your own, as trust me, you do not want to be lumbered with him.

maddyone Wed 23-Mar-22 20:40:30

Just no!

Newatthis Wed 23-Mar-22 20:30:49

come on - you're worth than this!!

Fleur20 Wed 23-Mar-22 20:19:37

Have just read your update at 1714.. yuck!! He is gross!!
Glad you are getting rid.. enjoy the rest of your life.