Gransnet forums

Relationships

Upset at Family moving abroad

(37 Posts)
DollyD Fri 01-Apr-22 14:08:15

I know there are many Gransnetters who have family living abroad so I thought I would ask for advice.
My sons partner is from Italy and they have talked of one day moving there and I thought I was ok with it but they are now intent on going this year so that Grandson can attend school there.
They are going today for a week to look at the school etc. When he told me on the phone I was surprised to start shaking and had what I think was a panic attack, my anxiety is through the roof and I’m waking in panic in the night.
My son has always lived close by and calls round quite often in the week and helps me quite a bit with advise and things around the house and I’m panicking that I won’t be able to cope on my own.
I feel selfish feeling this way and of course wouldn’t dream of mentioning it to him, it’s just the fear of not having him around that I’m dreading.

pascal30 Tue 25-Apr-23 16:55:07

In my experience Italian families are really warm and inclusive once you're part of the family,which of course you are, I imagine you'll have wonderful times over there.. and big family get togethers if your daughters family go as well.. enjoy

BlueBelle Tue 25-Apr-23 17:02:01

Bunny that is so unfair on your poor son putting your whole life’s unhappiness on his shoulders You need professional help and quickly you will be ruining not only your life, your husbands and your sons…
you cannot build your happiness on someone else life

Get help asap Bunny your reaction to a perfectly normal happening is way, way, way over the top and indicates you have a really big mental health
problem

Madgran77 Tue 25-Apr-23 17:31:15

Bunney I am so sorry that you are going through this. As others have said you need professional help to work through all the physical and mental issues. I hope you feel better able to cope soon flowers

MerylStreep Tue 25-Apr-23 17:40:55

tanith
I’m slightly envious, I love Gibraltar.
The last time I was there was 2019.

varian Tue 25-Apr-23 18:02:32

Very few of my friends do not have children and grandchildren living abroad.

We are so lucky to have Whatsapp, Zoom, Googlemeet, etc so we can, not only speak to them, but have long face to face conversations online, whenever we want at no cost!

If your family are living in Europe, you should be able to afford an Easyjet flight for a visit.

More difficult if they are on the other side of the world but, if you can afford it and you are retired, make it a long visit. Someone I know whose family are in Australia reckons she has spent more time with her grandchildren than she might have done if they'd been in another part of the UK.

Fleurpepper Tue 25-Apr-23 18:07:44

Chardy

Italy is a couple of hours away on a plane. If they are not too far from an airport that has flights to somewhere vaguely near you, you could do less travel time than if they were moving to an inaccessible bit of UK. Good luck.

Indeed. DollyD wrote about this 1 year ago- it would be nice to hear how many times she has visited them and how she is doing now.

bunnykins' story is very different. Again, Gibraltar is easy to fly to, and with assistance for physical disabilities. Dialysis is fairly easy to organise. But her severe depression and other issues make things so so much more difficult. Let's hope you will be able to find solutions.

red1 Tue 25-Apr-23 18:09:24

ive been there with family moving while suffering depression,it really hurts,it can bring up difficult feelings and thoughts. as i look back it was like a bereavement.Lots of people seem to breeze through it,and happily wave them off.From my meetings with people who have family that moved away, underneath the smiles there is often an aching heart.I agree with others that it may benefit to ask for some help with this,good luck ,i hope things become easier.

Fleurpepper Tue 25-Apr-23 18:14:12

Very very different to have family moving to NZ or OZ, or any location on the other side of the world, or to Europe. Northern France is far nearer to London and SE England, than many regions in the North.

tanith Tue 25-Apr-23 18:22:19

Can i just point out that Gibraltar isn't near Italy its attached to Spain but i know the people are just as friendly.

Fleurpepper Tue 25-Apr-23 18:30:30

Well of course!

And of course some parts of Italy are much easier to get to than others. You can get to Milan, Verona, Florence from London with fast speed very comfortable trains in a day. And some are near airports. others not to.

BlueBelle Tue 25-Apr-23 18:36:23

My son went to NZ 27 years ago, just for a look around, he never returned apart from 3 week holidays every 5 years He is a NZ citizen now as is his English wife