Gransnet forums

Relationships

At a cross roads in relationship

(70 Posts)
Mattsmum2 Fri 23-Sep-22 17:59:45

I’m at a place where I don’t know where to turn. Ive been in a relationship with a man for 8 years. Before that I’ve been married 3 times. First one for 20years, 2 children. 2nd only 6 months and the last one 3 years. Every man I’ve had a long term relationship with has cheated on me. Only regretting their actions years later. I’ve been told I’m easy going, very giving and friendly. My current partner I know would be totally faithful to me and I’ve no reason to think otherwise.
We met on a dating site and hit it off straight away, emotionally and physically. He has no children. We’ve tried living together the most recent in 2019 when we renovated a house together (he owns the house and charged me rent!) over 200 miles from my family by the sea. I loved it but when covid hit my son was forced to come and stay with us through no fault of his own. This is when the problems started, my sons not the most tidy person, but he’s polite and would do anything I asked to help. One day my son did some cooking and my partner thought he had left a mess in the kitchen, in fact it was me, he went ballistic, accused my son of treating the house like a hotel and made it clear he didn’t want us around. My son was so frightened he called the police, which inflamed things more. We left the same day and I moved my son to his grandparents house. I went back a few days later. He was full of remorse and to cut a long story I decided that I couldn’t live with him, rented somewhere closer to my family and carried on seeing him, visits for weekends, family occasions and such like. There’s been a few instances where he throws back the past few years back in my face, in that the dream we were to have has gone sour, but I thought we were happy. He’s been unwell over the past few weeks with a chest infection, I’ve seen him a few times, me going to him and he to me. I now live with my son and daughter in law. They’re on holiday and my partner has not been very communicative over the past week or so. We normally speak daily but it’s not been like that, he says he’s tired, been gardening, walking our dog. I always ask how he is, recently he hasn’t asked how I am and even ignored messages. He doesn’t work. I work full time. I messaged yesterday to say I was lonely, he said ‘why?’ I said can we talk when I get home, he said yes call him when I get home. I’m thinking he wants to find out why I felt lonely. Well the call started off well. Then he accused me of being selfish, putting my family ahead of him, ruining our plans, that I had everything, he has nothing, threw everything from our past plans back at me. Told me I’d ruined his day after he was feeling better and told me I pissed him off. and he hung up. I really am not a selfish person. I’m a giver and make things special for him, buying him lovely gifts, taking him to events, sending him random cards and gifts and surprises. He never does that to me but I’ve got used to giving him a list and I get what I want.
I really don’t think unless he can put the past behind him that we will have a future. I don’t think he will ever accept the person I am and how to have a good relationship.
I really have shed too many tears over this and I’m tired, is it time for a break?
I had already planned to visit next Thursday for the weekend and I messaged to say I wanted to talk then and if he wants to talk before then message me. We used to speak every day, but that now seems impossible for him.
I have for sometime thought he has a personality disorder or autism. He’s very OCD at times.

Very confused, sorry for the long post ??‍♀️

Redhead56 Fri 23-Sep-22 19:45:09

You are not at a cross road you are reaching a dead end. Do a U turn and don’t look back life is too short there is just one shot at it.
Someone who won’t accept your family is not worth knowing. He takes you for granted and blames you when things go wrong do yourself a favour.
Wash your hands of him he is most certainly not worthy of a good and decent partner. Get away and you will be amazed how you will get your confidence back.

mokryna Fri 23-Sep-22 19:48:11

Run.
You paid him rent, he lost his temper when the kitchen was on a mess, sulks because your family have taken you in and now you have upset his day by phoning him. Don’t make excuses for him as it will only get worst.

Hithere Fri 23-Sep-22 21:36:17

I would start wondering why every partner you pick has cheated on you - you are the common denominator

Mattsmum2 Fri 23-Sep-22 21:39:03

BlushingSheep

You deserve more than this.
I can't help feeling that being single would be better.
Are you planning to get a place of your own, or is your current living situation a long-term thing? (Not relevant, just being nosy!)

I’m building an annex in my sons garden, self contained. Thanks for your comments. Don’t mind yiu being nosey ?

Urmstongran Fri 23-Sep-22 21:44:22

How are you feeling now Mattsmum? Less churned up I hope.

Allsorts Fri 23-Sep-22 21:58:14

Hithere, what an unkind thing to say.
Mattsmum, you sound tired and worn out and I would think maybe a break away from each other for just a couple of weeks might help. If the relationship has run it’s course, so be it, better than being unhappy, if you feel it’s worth fighting for that’s another option. Do what feels right, life with a partner shouldn’t be a battle,

Mattsmum2 Fri 23-Sep-22 21:58:31

Urmstongran

Thank you for asking, I’m calm at the moment but terrified of the conversation that I have to have with him next week.

Luckygirl3 Fri 23-Sep-22 22:01:08

I am widowed and live alone. I do not like it - but rather that than have to bear the burden of such a troubled relationship. You can live without a man.

GagaJo Fri 23-Sep-22 22:23:45

Hithere

I would start wondering why every partner you pick has cheated on you - you are the common denominator

That's the sort of thing an abuser would say.

Shinamae Fri 23-Sep-22 22:33:26

Luckygirl3

I am widowed and live alone. I do not like it - but rather that than have to bear the burden of such a troubled relationship. You can live without a man.

I have for over 30 years and I am quite happy…?.. mind you I am Asexual so that’s probably why I don’t want or need a man… Have been married twice, both very short marriages…. First one 10 months and the other five years, quite enough for me ?..(l am 70 in February)

VioletSky Fri 23-Sep-22 22:41:51

I think Hithere has been misunderstood...

Actually I know she has been.

Some of us are more vulnerable to meeting abusive partners. There is just something in us they sense, and it's not because we are bad people at all. It is just that certain boundaries and tools are missing that should protect us.

There are reasons for this and they can be healed.

Mattsmum the absolute best thing you can do is love yourself enough to get some help.

There are many organisations out there and it is well known that verbal abuse is just as damaging as physical abuse now.

You deserve better

Allegretto Fri 23-Sep-22 22:56:21

It sounds like the relationship brings you more unhappiness than it brings contentment or joy. I’m also concerned that your partner “went ballistic” to the point where your son was so frightened that he called the police and that the involvement of the police made things worse rather than leading to any realisation that he was behaving badly. It’s time to be brave and have the conversation. Life without this worry would be so much better.

BoadiceaJones Fri 23-Sep-22 23:06:22

The first red flag would have been charging you rent, especially when he is very comfortably off. What basis is that to start a loving relationship? By all means, share the expenses, but it's beyond mean if he has, as I suspect, no mortgage or other commitments.

Shelflife Fri 23-Sep-22 23:08:07

Run for the hills and don't look back .
You don't need him .

Hithere Fri 23-Sep-22 23:42:21

Thanks Vs

You nailed it

SunshineSally Sat 24-Sep-22 01:13:00

Mattsmum2

Urmstongran

Thank you for asking, I’m calm at the moment but terrified of the conversation that I have to have with him next week.

Actually Mattsmum you don’t have to see him if you don’t want to (especially if you are fearful about how he will react).

You really do have the power to take control on this situation - and it’s completely your choice how you decide to end it x

BlushingSheep Sat 24-Sep-22 01:47:12

Mattsmum2

BlushingSheep

You deserve more than this.
I can't help feeling that being single would be better.
Are you planning to get a place of your own, or is your current living situation a long-term thing? (Not relevant, just being nosy!)

I’m building an annex in my sons garden, self contained. Thanks for your comments. Don’t mind yiu being nosey ?

Oooh lovely! The best of both worlds. Your own space AND near to your DS!
Sounds daft but I'm excited for you lol

Mattsmum2 Sat 24-Sep-22 06:56:15

SunshineSally

Mattsmum2

Urmstongran

Actually Mattsmum you don’t have to see him if you don’t want to (especially if you are fearful about how he will react).

You really do have the power to take control on this situation - and it’s completely your choice how you decide to end it x

I do unfortunately as he has my dog which was planned I collect next weekend.

glammanana Sat 24-Sep-22 09:51:01

Hithere

I wondered that too

Esmay Sat 24-Sep-22 10:14:51

Hi Mattsmum ,

Please WALK away from this man NOW .

You paid rent as you hoped him renovate his house , he doesn't spontaneously buy you gifts and treats ,he's so terrifying that your son called the Police when he was thrown out for making the kitchen messy , he's jealous of time that you spend with your family , he throws the past in your face , he sulks and postures to get your undivided attention ...

Plainly , he has some mental health issues whether it's borderline personality ...
whatever .
It doesn't matter what you call it - it's totally unacceptable .

He's never going to make you happy .
You're going to walk on eggshells with him
As time passes and you devote more time trying to please him - you'll be less inclined to go because you've invested so much time in this one sided relationship .

If possible take a break , have a holiday and /or join clubs ,develop new interests and meet new people .

Wishing you well and happy .

Esmay Sat 24-Sep-22 13:31:55

Sorry for typos - just read your last text :

Please get a male member of your family for your safety as he's so bad tempered and get your dog back without allowing him to consider more emotional blackmail and options .

I don't want to frighten you , but one of my friends went through sheer hell to get her animals back .
Her ex actually hid them at a friend's house .
He was threatening all sorts of things .
Fortunately , one of his friends - upset and disturbed by the antics told her .

And his last resort - threatening suicide to get her back .

I'm sure that this guy has a history of intolerable behaviour , which has been all glossed over as everyone else's fault but never his .

Take a very deep breath and work out your game plan .
Take care .
Wishing you every good luck in walking away .

Bea65 Sat 24-Sep-22 13:50:15

Oh dear..why does he have your dog? I wouldn't leave my lovely pet with him.. Go get the dog !

ExDancer Sat 24-Sep-22 13:51:25

I felt the same as Hithere but didn't know how to say it. You do seem to have been unlucky in your relationships Mattsmum.
My gran (who was a whole less inhibited talking about love & sex than my mum) Once advised that as soon as you start having feelings for a man you should actively start to list what you don't like about him. For example - his irritating laugh, eating with his mouth open, his mean-ness with money, his short temper, selfishness - whatever.
It does sound like you have a tendency to fall in love quickly and marry in haste.
This one seems like a non-starter to me, you deserve better although have a think - do you really need a man?

yogitree Sat 24-Sep-22 13:53:27

Please get your son to collect your dog Mattsmum2.

Hithere Sat 24-Sep-22 15:14:57

Mattsmum2

You have so many threads in this board that show a pattern in difficulty navigating relationships in general (siblings, mother, etc)

This is more than a romantic relationship issue