Gransnet forums

Relationships

Desperate for advice please ..

(104 Posts)
DeeDe Mon 16-Jan-23 11:13:31

Really need some advice please
Around a 6 weeks ago I met really nice man in his late 60s same age as myself
I felt sorry for him as alone over Xmas, and invited him round for Xmas dinner he lives about 30 mins drive away
His popped over once or somtimes twice a week since, the last time yesterday
His now talking long term and should I want to move into his home etc I thought at first we may get along fine, but did try to slow him down,
I started getting my doubts about our compatibility, as there seems now not much we like the same, ie holidays, tv programmes, day to day running of the home etc and realised his a off for a drink while wifey cooks meals, then in armchair while wifey washes and tidies up .. very old school and says how his deceased wife did this and that, he leaves after around 3 hours and I’m then stuck with all the washing up he brings meetfree food he likes for me to cook, and did buy us fish and chips last week ..
he turns my tv up so loud, turns the big lights on, where I like just side lights, he doesn’t even like the same food as me.
It’s all only his way as his not unkind and somehow his very kind
But I’m now starting to dread him coming over, and his continuous daily phone calls
His told his family about me, and how lovely I am and their looking forward to meeting me
I’m dreading telling him, I don’t want to continue seeing him, how the heck do I tell and put it to him without being unkind
He even said yesterday I should think about getting a divorce incase I want to re marry again ..I’m in a pickle here
Appreciate any advice please

Warbler Sun 19-Feb-23 05:28:04

He's making you feel very uncomfortable, yet you seem to be making him very comfortable - making him meals, not allowing him to help with the washing up. Why? I'd be seething at the gills. Next time he calls, unexpectedly, answer the door with your coat on and say that you are going out and it is an inconvenient time. That's just for starters. I like ExDancers reply saying to him "I value my independence too much" to get involved further. Marrying him? No........hang on a mo. Get a divorce.........I think you know deep down you already know what you have to do.

WDYS Wed 25-Jan-23 13:46:54

Up front and honest works every time. Well done Deede. It was only a 6 week relationship so no real harm done. I'm sure he'll be moving on to the next one. You'll know the signs next time.

OnwardandUpward Sat 21-Jan-23 19:27:16

Isn't it funny when anonymous people try to tell other anonymous people what they can and can't do on an anonymous forum where we can all have the freedom of speech to do and say whatever we want as long as it's not unkind or breaking any rules. grin

It amuses me. I don't ever let anyone shut me down if I want to speak. They can hide the thread if they want to.

SeasideLili Sat 21-Jan-23 15:04:45

YUP RUN a Mile :-)

OnwardandUpward Thu 19-Jan-23 07:49:00

Well done Deede for having an honest conversation.

I'm not a fan of ghosting or head games, so respect for doing this head on flowers

Callistemon21 Wed 18-Jan-23 20:57:17

Thanks Aldom

Aldom Wed 18-Jan-23 20:19:35

Callistemon21

*IT'S SORTED* 🙂

This is not shouting. Just in bold in order to make the post noticeable.
It's accompanied by a smile, indicating good humour. smile

Jaylou Wed 18-Jan-23 20:10:38

Callistemon21 - To quote Violetsky who succinctly put - OK, I don't agree with you though -

The subtle difference between shouting and using a loud hailer are lost when writing in capitals. It is common knowledge that writing in caps is akin to shouting.

I am not getting drawn in any further, othewise poor Deede's thread will be in danger of being deleted.

Hopefully Deede you have a good night's sleep tonight and an even better day tomorrow

Callistemon21 Wed 18-Jan-23 18:48:21

Not shouting at them, Jaylou

I put it in CAPITALS AND BOLD to alert posters to the fact that the problem has been solved.

There is a difference between shouting at people and using a loud hailer so that they can hear.

WELL DONE DEEDE! 👏👏👏

VioletSky Wed 18-Jan-23 18:27:14

OK, I don't agree with you though so... there's that

BlueBelle Wed 18-Jan-23 18:07:53

violetsky I don’t need your advice to press buttons thanks
I just want people to read what Deedee has subsequently written and congratulate her instead of plowing on with their own agenda That’s the rude part

Jaylou Wed 18-Jan-23 18:02:36

Callistemon21

It's just that posters might be wasting their breath time when DeeDe might have left the thread, or might feel obliged to keep answering kind posters.
We're only trying to help, no need to be rude.

If you know it is finished, there is no reason to continue reading the thread surely?
It just keeps popping up top of my "I'm On" list.
I will do as I'm told and ignore it now. 😁

But yes, VS, it could help someone else.

Not sure who you are accusing of being rude, but I guess it's me.
Seems we may have different definitions of being rude, you say it's me for defending people who continue to post and having a go at shouty posts, while you shout at them. Hmm

VioletSky Wed 18-Jan-23 17:51:30

Press the little arrow in a red circle, top right, then press "hide thread"

Or it will die off without help after a while

I wouldn't let it bother you

BlueBelle Wed 18-Jan-23 17:49:12

It annoys me that people don’t read the subsequent posts
and just keep on keeping on delving in further and further.
It would be fine to say
Great that you ve solved it that’s what I would have done or you could have done a b c but to just completely ignore
Deedees great news is plain uncaring because it’s not acknowledging her achievement

Callistemon21 Wed 18-Jan-23 17:31:43

It's just that posters might be wasting their breath time when DeeDe might have left the thread, or might feel obliged to keep answering kind posters.
We're only trying to help, no need to be rude.

If you know it is finished, there is no reason to continue reading the thread surely?
It just keeps popping up top of my "I'm On" list.
I will do as I'm told and ignore it now. 😁

But yes, VS, it could help someone else.

Jaylou Wed 18-Jan-23 17:16:26

VioletSky

jaylou

It's a bit:

MERE MORTALS, THY GODS HAVE SPOKEN! SHUTETH UP!

Lol

I'd rather be a mortal than a God.
Someone with a similar problem may gain help from the later posts, they are doing no harm

VioletSky Wed 18-Jan-23 16:47:39

Speaking for myself, red flags in a relationship is a useful thread to keep current

VioletSky Wed 18-Jan-23 16:46:29

jaylou

It's a bit:

MERE MORTALS, THY GODS HAVE SPOKEN! SHUTETH UP!

Lol

Jaylou Wed 18-Jan-23 16:35:36

Well done DeeDe a weight off your mind.
Not sure why some people are getting angry and writing shouty posts about the problem being resolved, when people are only trying to help, maybe they are in a rush and haven't time to read them all. If you know it is finished, there is no reason to continue reading the thread surely?

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 18-Jan-23 16:07:25

Well done DeeDe diplomatic and firm honesty is always the best.

HowVeryDareYou Wed 18-Jan-23 15:45:37

grin

BlueBelle Wed 18-Jan-23 15:19:09

For crying out loud the lady has sorted the problem
READ THE MORE RECENT POSTS PEOPLE PLEASE

REXF Wed 18-Jan-23 15:16:55

I can see that you are a kind person, but he doesn’t seem to be right for you, and I can appreciate that you need to let him down gently - but firmly.
Love, despite our age, should still be looking forward to seeing him and not wanting him to go. It should still be doing things together and laughing. If you don’t have that, you might not even have a friendship.
Go and visit someone, if you can, and just not be there to open the door, after telling him, of course.
Value yourself. We need to be treated well. Age doesn’t come into it.

Callistemon21 Wed 18-Jan-23 15:09:00

IT'S SORTED 🙂

IrishDancing Wed 18-Jan-23 15:01:55

Big girl knickers on here. Meet him for coffee and say it’s not working out - least said soonest mended, don’t hurt him more than you need to. Good luck!