Gransnet forums

Relationships

Losing it.

(67 Posts)
Peartree Sat 28-Jan-23 18:04:45

I was at my DN yesterday and was telling something that happened to me and half way through the story I completely forgot what I was talking about. I had popped round to see her as Im going to look after her baby for 2 days when she goes back to work. I was a bit embarrassed in case she thought I was losing it and if I would be capable to look after baby. I said I had baby brain being near hers she said its a thing. The thing is I can usually remember what I was saying a bit later but for the life of me it never came back. I think I need to exercise my brain.

BlueBelle Sun 29-Jan-23 22:51:26

Why would it be obvious Peartree DN could stand for anything how do we know your talking about your niece it could have even been dear nephew
If you feel more comfortable on Mumsnet then that’s where you need to be

So much easier if people can be bothered to write what they mean, thanks

MayBee70 Sun 29-Jan-23 23:03:42

My daughter seems to think that my memory is awful eg I looked after her boys the other night and she messaged one of them to check that I’d remembered to go round. But, from my experience, she’s the one that doesn’t remember things.

nadateturbe Sun 29-Jan-23 23:12:07

It's called getting older Peartree.
These made me laugh especially the wedding one. Hilarious.
I often do silly things, in spite of brain exercises. I often try to change channels with my phone. And sometines I lift my phone to Google something and forget in those few seconds what it was I wanted to look for.

crazyH Sun 29-Jan-23 23:21:36

MayBee70 - well said - same here with my daughter. She even suggested taking me to the memory clinic. What a cheek !!

Blossoming Sun 29-Jan-23 23:31:34

Peartree

I thought it was obvious that DN was Dear Niece!why would I write District Nurse or Dear Neighbour.?

It was obvious to me 🙂

MayBee70 Sun 29-Jan-23 23:37:20

crazyH

MayBee70 - well said - same here with my daughter. She even suggested taking me to the memory clinic. What a cheek !!

I do always say to both of my kids when they want me to do something please remind me closer to the date’ but that’s because, since I retired, I lose track of where we are, calendar wise.

CanadianGran Mon 30-Jan-23 00:05:40

I was wondering what DN was as well, thought it was a place or meeting, like U3A. But then I have translation issues sometimes not being from UK!

Back to topic, I once was in a meeting and had a lapse of memory for a co-worker's name, and I had to reference her while I was speaking to the group. Total silence from me mid-sentence, and someone filled in blank. I was so embarrassed, and thought about it all night long. This was a few months ago, and I haven't had anything similar happen since, but I was definitely worried about it.

My memory lapses always seem to be names.

Juliet27 Mon 30-Jan-23 10:22:59

It's names I have problems with. Yesterday I was trying to remember Hugh Grant's name and couldn't even remember what he'd been in. This morning I easily recalled Bridget Jones and the other actor's names because I concentrated on them once my mind had retrieved them yesterday. I remember association being recommended for remembering names. I connected the word huge with Hugh Grant - can't think why!!

BlueBelle Mon 30-Jan-23 10:34:26

It gives me so much hope when I read others stories on here
CrazyH and Maybee I ve also had hints from my adult child that perhaps I should go to the doctor for tests
It s names with me too canadiangran and juliette I was lying in bed this morning and thinking about all our political troubles and Jeremy Corbyn came into my brain well his picture did but his name didn’t after about ten minutes Jeremy came forth then ages later Corbyn emerged

Katie59 Mon 30-Jan-23 12:29:13

Brain fade, trying to think about too much at the same time, occasionally I get it, not too often but it is embarrassing. More often I go to the fridge and have forgotten what I wanted.

Peartree Tue 31-Jan-23 05:05:47

Thanks BlueBelle your obviously are in charge of Gransnet.

Ginny42 Tue 31-Jan-23 05:45:45

Have you tried going through the alphabet until the name pops into your head? It works for me. I've never been great at remembering names, but faces and places I can remember very clearly.

I've begun having to plan a journey in my head to work out how to get from A to B. Not frequent journeys, but ones I may not have done for a couple of years, especially not during the whole of the pandemic.

Franbern Tue 31-Jan-23 16:47:58

Peartree

Well, if this sort of nasty sniping is how they respond on Mumsnet, then you are very welcome to stay here. What a nasty response to Bluebelle's honest comment!!!

By the way, the initials that are used on GN are set ones and are shown in a special thread for what they mean. Not one for Niece or Nephew. How long extra does it take to type those words?

So, if you want the same sort of sniping back I would say that YES/ you could well be showing very early signs of early on-set demential. Your spiteful comment to Bluebelle could be part of this condition.

Peartree Tue 31-Jan-23 16:54:29

Dear Franbern are you Bluebelles mum? And im far from demential I think you are much more spiteful then I could ever be.

AreWeThereYet Tue 31-Jan-23 17:07:45

If I were you I would stick with the 'demential'. No idea what that is but it may be some excuse for rudeness.

BlueBelle Tue 31-Jan-23 17:08:55

Peartree

Where did that come from ???

I was simply agreeing with you and with others that my memory’s not as good as it used to be and names and faces sometimes evade me However if your harking back to my first post asking what DN stood for at least 7 others didn’t know and all you had to do was say oh sorry it means ‘Darling Neice’ absolutely no need for spiky answers

And if franberns my mum I don’t know how she’s writing on here as I lost my mum 11 years ago

Puzzling post Peartree

sodapop Tue 31-Jan-23 17:16:57

BlueBelle

Why would it be obvious Peartree DN could stand for anything how do we know your talking about your niece it could have even been dear nephew
If you feel more comfortable on Mumsnet then that’s where you need to be

So much easier if people can be bothered to write what they mean, thanks

Agree BlueBelle lazy abbreviations

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 31-Jan-23 17:24:00

Blimey, lots of sniping today folks! I use very few abbreviations (OH anyone) and prefer to use the actual words. I thought GN was about a neighbour too. It could also mean Nutjob, Niece or Nice-person.

Ladyleftfieldlover Tue 31-Jan-23 17:24:38

DN!

Peartree Tue 31-Jan-23 18:22:35

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

AreWeThereYet Tue 31-Jan-23 19:32:41

I'm as batty as they come, I think. Can't remember what day of the week it is since I retired. Forget what I'm saying in the middle of a sentence. I know what I am trying to remember is in the old memory cells somewhere but I seem to have lost the hook to pull it out - it will surface some time later when I don't need it.

Rosina Fri 03-Feb-23 11:48:15

If you know you have forgotten what you were going to say, then I understand that there is nothing to worry about.
The main thing to remember is that we are all intelligent, witty, literate and wise women who have lived for a decent span of years, and therefore have so much information inside our sparkling brains that sometimes it takes a while to sort through and complete what we have started - imagine a large filing cabinet with many folders. Have a great day, fellow GN's

Pippa22 Fri 03-Feb-23 11:57:30

This spoils Gransnet all these letters to sort out. How could we know that DN was dear niece ? Why not just write it ? It’s not as if it takes long to write the proper words ? It takes longer to work out what could be meant than it might take the person writing to just write the word. This seems to be peculiar to Gransnet, other sites don’t seem to work in this way, thank goodness.

Yammy Fri 03-Feb-23 12:09:16

We, ve looked for a week for a spanner DH insisted I had moved and he had not put it back in its place. This morning he confessed it was in the toolbox he had put it away. Senior moment? No man fog too many things on his mind.grin

Tuskanini Fri 03-Feb-23 12:11:24

Haddock is nice, isn't it? :-)