Gransnet forums

Relationships

Losing it.

(67 Posts)
Peartree Sat 28-Jan-23 18:04:45

I was at my DN yesterday and was telling something that happened to me and half way through the story I completely forgot what I was talking about. I had popped round to see her as Im going to look after her baby for 2 days when she goes back to work. I was a bit embarrassed in case she thought I was losing it and if I would be capable to look after baby. I said I had baby brain being near hers she said its a thing. The thing is I can usually remember what I was saying a bit later but for the life of me it never came back. I think I need to exercise my brain.

SparklyGrandma Fri 03-Feb-23 12:19:00

I was telling some about a trip I took, and they went to interrupt I said ‘ Let me finish what I’m saying before I forget it’.

Dear me 😳

Peaseblossom Fri 03-Feb-23 14:03:59

Peartree I soon realised it meant dear niece, even if no one else did! you’re hardly likely to babysit the district nurse’s children, unless she was family of course!

JdotJ Fri 03-Feb-23 14:14:36

Peartree

Im going back to mumsnet at least they would know what I was writing about🤷‍♀️

Forgetful AND rude !!!!

Yellowmellow Fri 03-Feb-23 14:27:05

Very uncomfortable reading. This is supposed to be a friendly site. Peartree made a mistake. Other people use abbreviations. Lucky you knowing what the list of abbreviations is used. Peartree said she used another site more . A bit more kindness and understanding wouldn't go a miss.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 03-Feb-23 16:24:48

I sometimes forget what I'm on about when I'm talking to myself.

Yammy Fri 03-Feb-23 16:47:42

I look at the computer to see what is is on Amazon Prime then I try to use the computer to put the TV on and load what I want to watch I forget I need the TV controls.
It's not a new thing with me I wrote a question on an A-level General Studies paper 50-odd years ago, about what book you would take to a desert island. I wrote about a Town Like Alice but had to say the hero and the heroine, I could not remember their names. I still passed with a good grade the examiner must have been as daft as me!smile

Duvetdiva Fri 03-Feb-23 16:50:11

Yellowmellow

Very uncomfortable reading. This is supposed to be a friendly site. Peartree made a mistake. Other people use abbreviations. Lucky you knowing what the list of abbreviations is used. Peartree said she used another site more . A bit more kindness and understanding wouldn't go a miss.

Well said Yellowmellow. I think people on here were unnecessarily picky with Peartree, no wonder she threw her toys out.
I’ve always thought these ‘dear’ this and that abbreviations were a bit bonkers anyway. Plus I grasped immediately that she meant her niece.

fluttERBY123 Fri 03-Feb-23 17:49:38

Ever tried to turn the TV off with your mobile?

Jodieb Fri 03-Feb-23 17:55:07

Hetty, if your phone and tv are smart then you can!

pascal30 Fri 03-Feb-23 18:26:31

LRavenscroft

I was telling my husband something the other day while we were driving. I then forgot what I was saying and asked him to remind me and he answered 'I wasn't listening' so don't know.

this is so funny...

Coco51 Fri 03-Feb-23 19:49:38

It happens to me all the time (like going into a room and forgetting what you went for) My excuse is that I have a brain fogging condition/medication wink

HeavenLeigh Fri 03-Feb-23 19:55:45

Must admit I wondered what DN was and did think dear neighbour

OmaforMaya Sat 04-Feb-23 09:21:20

Peartree

I thought it was obvious that DN was Dear Niece!why would I write District Nurse or Dear Neighbour.?

You could have been going to look after a neighbour's baby...I did that to help out my neighbour until she sorted out a child minder. Not uncommon at all.

effalump Sat 04-Feb-23 17:02:41

When this happens, say to yourself "don't think about it, it will come back to you in 5 minutes". Works everytime. If you start stressing trying to remember it, it just won't come back but as soon as you put your mind on something else, Abracadabra!

Nightsky2 Sat 04-Feb-23 17:25:46

Pippa22

This spoils Gransnet all these letters to sort out. How could we know that DN was dear niece ? Why not just write it ? It’s not as if it takes long to write the proper words ? It takes longer to work out what could be meant than it might take the person writing to just write the word. This seems to be peculiar to Gransnet, other sites don’t seem to work in this way, thank goodness.

You could try reading Peartrees post properly. I didn’t think she meant that the district nurse or dear nephew had had a baby. It was clear to me wink

Nightsky2 Sat 04-Feb-23 17:35:08

Peartree. I think this is fairly common as you get older. . It happened to me a few weeks ago when I started to tell the taxi driver something and then completely forgot what it was. I did feel a bit embarrassed at the time. Don’t let it worry you.