Gransnet forums

Relationships

I just don’t know what to do.

(113 Posts)
LibbyR Mon 20-Feb-23 11:00:36

My husband is 8 years younger than me. We’ve been together for 25 years. I have grown up children from my first marriage. He made it perfectly clear that he didn’t want children when we met and that suited me as I didn’t want anymore. Due to this fact we have always kept our finances very separate, just having a joint account that we each pay an amount into to cover household expenses. We have a beautiful home which due to us both having full time jobs, we have contributed to equally. We now have no mortgage and our house is my husbands pride and joy as he built it. When the children were at home I paid in more than him to our living expenses but since they left home over 10 years ago we now pay the same but all other finances are separate. His family are very well off whereas I don’t have any family other than my children. I have always had a very stressful job and about 2 years ago I became quite unwell due mainly to work stress, with this as the main factor I looked into taking early retirement (aged 56). This meant losing quite a chunk of my pension however when I tried to discuss it with my husband he just said that I should do whatever I wanted to do, my finances were none of his concern and as long as I could ‘pay my way’ it was my decision. I’ll admit that for the last few years of my working life we grew apart, mainly due to the fact that I was working 50-60 hours every week, I was tired and unwell and made no effort in our relationship. He also didn’t support me when I was stressed and I felt resentful of this, he works in his family business and comes and goes as he pleases, hasn’t really known a day of stress in his life. I’ve put on a terrific amount of weight, sleep badly and feel miserable and unattractive. I’d hoped that removing the work stress would make me feel better however it’s been almost 2 years and our relationship has fallen apart. He has never been one to talk about his feelings and any kind of discussion I try to instigate gets immediately shut down either by him walking away or just refusing to engage.
For many years he has had an interest in vintage cars and travels around locally to meetings, weekend rallies etc. Several years ago we bought a caravan (paid exactly half each) so we could make a bit of a holiday of these meetings however most of the time he makes it clear that he wishes to go alone and I’ve only attended twice in the last couple of years. The last time was in August last year. At the event I became aware of a woman who was all over my husband, I was watching them giggling and chatting for several hours from my vantage point in the caravan. The feeling I had in my stomach was dreadful, I felt so upset as he basically ignored me for the whole day and spent his time with her right under my nose. When it was time to do the parade of cars, she jumped into the car with him and off they went. When he returned I said to him I thought I was going to go on the parade with him and he looked a bit sheepish but said that X was there and wanted to go so he didn’t like to say no! I promptly packed my bags and went home. He sent me one message saying what’s the matter, I replied with a very long message telling him how upset I’d felt watching him laughing and chatting with another woman when he can barely speak to me most of the time and he said he didn’t know what my problem was and they’re just friends. I confided in a friend about this and she said that a mutual friend who also attends these events had commented on how much time my husband and this woman spend together. When he returned after the weekend I tried to talk to him about it and he was very defensive and said that there was nothing going on between them and they were friends who had a common interest (this has always been his hobby but I have tried to get involved). I talked a bit about how I felt unloved and lonely in our marriage and he did little to reassure me apart from to say I had nothing to worry about. I asked if he’d consider some counselling sessions to help us to communicate better and get back on track but he flatly refused to consider it. Since then we have just limped along, living in the same house, sleeping in the same bed but there is no emotional connection between us, in fact most of the time I feel that I’m irritating him. I think if it wasn’t for the fact that he knows he’d have to split our assets with me he’d be quite happy to divorce however when I broached the subject he said it’s not what he wants.
This is my dilemma and I feel very ashamed to admit it but a couple of weeks ago when he was in the shower I had a look at his phone and there were lots of messages between him and this woman. It was all jokey chat, no I love you or kisses but lots of messages going back a couple of weeks. I think he’s probably been deleting the chats every so often in case I see his phone. They talked about the new vintage car that he’s going to buy, how she’ll be able to help him with it when they go to meetings etc. she referred to things that weren’t in the chat thread so I got the impression that he’d deleted previous messages or they’re communicating another way, possible via text message or telephone calls. I felt sick to the pit of my stomach and I don’t know what to do. If I confront him I’ll have to admit to looking at his phone and he will go ballistic and I’ll be the one in the wrong. I looked again last night and all chat with her had been deleted so my suspicion is that he has been in constant contact with her since last year behind my back and I just don’t know how to approach it with him without admitting I’ve been checking his phone. I’m afraid to be on my own but my jealousy is eating me up and I feel stupid and unloved and like I’ve wasted my life. sad

Liza115 Mon 27-Mar-23 19:24:38

Tough love here. You need to stop saying that you are tired, overweight, a mess, can't interview, etc. This is your life and it is crashing down on you. You can either pick yourself up, lose weight (if that bothers you), and get a job, or spend the rest of your life feeling sad and resentful. If you had retirement at your previous job, see if you can go back to that company (in any capacity) so that they can bridge your service and add to your retirement. Your husband's behavior will only get worse. Get a divorce attorney and get out. You are only 58, and although I'm sure you don't want to go back to work, you must, or you will end up old and lonely. Just remember that right now, you are funding his glorious lifestyle. Get your 50% out of the marriage and move on. Trust me (I know), you will actually have more money once you get this loser out of your life. God Bless..

silverlining48 Sat 25-Feb-23 20:27:42

Hope you are enjoying your night out Libby. Here’s to more of the same in future.

Norah Sat 25-Feb-23 18:02:08

LibbyR

Thank you all so much. I’m going to a quiz night tonight with my best friend. My husband looked a bit shocked when I told him that I’m going out tonight but didn’t ask where or with who. I’ve spent today making a list is any assets I can think of and I’ve also wandered around the house making notes of each room and what is mine to take.

Take pictures for your solicitor as well as notes.

Of the pile of pound notes you found, furnishings, clothing, car, all of it - lifestyle choices on minimum wage. hmm

LibbyR Sat 25-Feb-23 17:54:27

Thank you all so much. I’m going to a quiz night tonight with my best friend. My husband looked a bit shocked when I told him that I’m going out tonight but didn’t ask where or with who. I’ve spent today making a list is any assets I can think of and I’ve also wandered around the house making notes of each room and what is mine to take.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 25-Feb-23 13:02:00

Find the weakness and exploit it, dogsmother!

Chloejo Sat 25-Feb-23 11:51:20

Some really good advice on here for Libby there is a better happier life waiting for her. You will get half the house and also the family are committing fraud take photo of the money proof of anything. The inland revenue will investigate his tax affairs. Hold ur head up high and move on take care of yourself go and see doctor he will give u something to help your anxiety. We’re all on here trying to help you lots of us have been in your position and come put stronger and living peaceful and happier lives you can do the same

dogsmother Sat 25-Feb-23 11:33:14

Super advice GSmum.

faye17 Sat 25-Feb-23 10:09:00

Wonderful helpful advice here for you from very sage gransnetters.

I have just one piece of advice for you Libby and I beg you to put your walking shoes on you right now and get outside.

Start walking.

The first step will take you forward to a new and more realistic view of yourself

You have let yourself down by accepting such poor treatment of you.
You know that has led you on a downward slope.

Many of us experience and understand comfort eating and what it does to us; the weight you have gained you will shed just as you will shed the idea that this is the only life you can have

Focus on you.

You are a strong beautiful woman.

Get out into this big beautiful world.

Take the life you deserve.

I'm rooting for you Libby sunshine

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 25-Feb-23 09:30:09

I think HMRC would be interested in your husband, Libby. And in his father. They won’t want their financial affairs pored over in court but that’s exactly what will happen. The threat of that might just enable you to get a very favourable settlement.

Patsy70 Fri 24-Feb-23 19:40:46

LibbyR and Gossamer. Please take the advice offered by these supportive people. I was physically and emotionally abused by my husband when I was in my twenties with two young children. I was young and strong and had family & friends to support me when we left. I never looked back and have had a lovely life with my children, grandchildren and OH of 20+ years. Please keep a diary, evidence of everything so you can produce it for your solicitor. So sorry you are going through this trauma. 💐💐

HousePlantQueen Fri 24-Feb-23 19:15:57

The land registry showing that you both jointly on the property is a relief I am sure.

LibbyR Fri 24-Feb-23 19:12:40

I’ve just checked the land registry and paid for the documents and they show that we both own the property. The £10k has come from cash jobs that he does and has always done. I have never benefited from anything he’s earned but over the years he’s probably earned £10k+ every year in cash. He paid £20k cash a few years ago for a vintage vehicle but he’s also bought vehicles via his family business so they’re probably not marital assets. He has no paper trail for anything much as he deals in a lot of cash.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Feb-23 18:42:37

Paying less than the minimum wage is a crime, as is paying someone more than you account for and that person thereby evading tax. Someone on minimum wage doesn’t just have £10k lying around. Take a photo of whatever you find. Have you checked on the Land Registry website who the house belongs to?

Chloejo Fri 24-Feb-23 18:41:14

Private message sent

LibbyR Fri 24-Feb-23 18:28:35

I know for a fact that his dad asks him to opt out of the NEST auto enrolment pension as I’ve seen the paperwork. I also know that he received a letter from HMRC saying it appeared that he was on less than minimum wage. His father got around it by telling HMRC that OH only works part time. There is 10k in cash in his wardrobe that I have found but I can’t access his bank accounts. I’ve found his premium bonds and they are minimal, £1200. They are aware that his parents need to live for 7 years otherwise the children will have to pay inheritance tax on a sliding scale depending on the length of time between the gift and their death so I don’t think they’re doing anything that I could prove as criminal.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Feb-23 18:02:00

Giving away money in the hope of avoiding inheritance tax isn’t criminal - but stating that an employee is paid less than they are definitely is. Tell your solicitor all about it and leave them to pounce at the appropriate time. In the meantime get hold of such information as you can, as I said. You say your husband doesn’t have a pension - employers are required to provide pensions nowadays. Believe nothing. I speak from experience. You may even find wads of notes, as I did. If so, count and replace. It will have to be accounted for in due course. Also consider how your lifestyle would be achieved by someone on minimum wage. It’s all relevant and your solicitor needs to know.

eazybee Fri 24-Feb-23 17:38:14

LibbyR you can't go on like this.
Your husband,and particularly his family, are verging on the criminal in their financial activities, and if they are caught you will all lose everything. If, of course, what he has told you about lump sums and inheritance tax is true.

Check that the house is in your name, not registered as a business asset. A friend who married into a wealthy farming family discovered that their marital home was not owned by them, as she supposed, but owned by the family and her husband had simply paid a peppercorn rent, in case she should divorce him. (They didn't approve of her.)
You need to lay everything before the solicitor and follow his advice; the girlfriend relationship is the least of your worries, although it is deeply hurtful.

LibbyR Fri 24-Feb-23 16:51:46

Unfortunately his family have been very underhand and he works for his family business and is on paper as a minimum wage employee. I know for a fact that he has no pension and definitely no life insurance as he doesn’t consider it necessary due to the fact that he will have a huge inheritance. His parents are in the process of giving him a massive lump sum to minimise inheritance tax but they definitely won’t give it to him if they think there’s a divorce on the cards. His father is a very savvy businessman who has money and property everywhere as well as a prosperous business but he’s made sure that us daughter-in-laws are as far away from it as he possibly can. Yes you’re right I am heading for a nervous breakdown. I just don’t know what to do with myself, I’ve been reading his messages again and he’s arranged to go out with his lady friend tonight but has messaged her to say he can’t go as ‘Libby isn’t happy with me, I don’t know what I’m supposed to have done now’. She replied that she was disappointed and he said ‘so am I’. So he’s obviously picked up on my anxious mood but he hasn’t asked me what’s wrong but then he never asks me anything about how I’m feeling or in fact anything at all. I could have a raging affair and he wouldn’t know, if I went away for a night he wouldn’t even ask me where I’ve been.

Jaxjacky Fri 24-Feb-23 16:30:23

I didn’t hide my money when I divorced, he was feeling guilty so I set the wheels in motion and he agreed and actioned a lot he probably regretted later.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Feb-23 16:22:56

Look through his papers when he’s not around. Sneaky I know but needs must. Not everything is online. You should find, at least, names of banks and maybe financial advisers, insurance and pension providers. Maybe statements of shareholdings. Your solicitor will require him to disclose his assets but it will help if you have just a bit of information which will show if he ‘forgets to mention’ something. It happens surprisingly frequently.

Jaye53 Fri 24-Feb-23 16:09:08

Get legal advice and as soon as possible. sorry but you seem to be heading for a nervous breakdown I'm afraid.contact your doctor too.

Norah Fri 24-Feb-23 15:54:50

LibbyR

How do you find out what money they have and how would you know if what they’re telling you is the truth? No one gets paper statements anymore and all banking is online and I don’t have any access to his personal account. I know he has a savings account and also premium bonds but no idea how much is in each.

This is my assumption, no knowledge at all apart from what my brother tells me - may not pertain.

You list your assets with your solicitor.

You tell your solicitor what assets you assume he may have (bank, bonds, home, business, pensions, etc) and your solicitor ascertains the truth from tax records and sources available through disclosures.

I could quite easily be wrong - ask your solicitor.

HousePlantQueen Fri 24-Feb-23 15:44:34

Well done on taking the first, most difficult steps LibbyR. From what you have said so far, you sound as if you are in an emotionally abusive relationship, the indifference shown by your husband to anything other than his own finances and home comforts and hobbies is breath-taking.

LibbyR Fri 24-Feb-23 15:17:22

How do you find out what money they have and how would you know if what they’re telling you is the truth? No one gets paper statements anymore and all banking is online and I don’t have any access to his personal account. I know he has a savings account and also premium bonds but no idea how much is in each.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Feb-23 08:19:31

Don’t hide your money. You’re obliged to disclose what you have if you divorce. But make sure you do your best to find out now exactly what he has in case he tries to hide his money - as my ex did.