Gransnet forums


How to access housing help for adult DC?

(29 Posts)
Bobblesack Fri 06-Oct-23 07:35:49

DS and partner, both disabled and in their 30s, have become homeless after their private landlord evicted them to sell the house.
Both on benefits, no deposit or guarantor, and no private landlord will consider them as tenants.
Local council won't help as they didn't live in the area for 2 years.
We can't see them on the streets, and all their "friends" suddenly and miraculously are not able to take them in. So they are now staying with me and DH, we cannot afford to support them and we don't get on. After 2 weeks life is hell and we can't see any way ahead.
You may think there are plenty of 'support agencies' and charities to help, but all say they are not eligible, don't qualify or that they are at capacity at the moment.
The stress is making us ill. Can anyone suggest where we might turn?

NotSpaghetti Fri 06-Oct-23 07:42:52

Adult Social care may help?
They may at least have access to a rent deposit scheme.
Could you check out the Vicar's Relief Fund.

I would also call the charities that work with their particular disabilities and local housing associations who may have their own schemes.

I'm surprised the council are saying 2 years residency - did they approach them before or after eviction? That may make a difference.

Can you go back to the council for suggestions?

What a mess.

growstuff Fri 06-Oct-23 07:52:51

My council has a 3 years residency rule, so that's not surprising.

In addition to the above, try Citizens Advice.

Good luck to you all!

MerylStreep Fri 06-Oct-23 07:55:21

I was involved in a small way with a similar situation some months ago. My friends daughter and family were evicted on the grounds.
Long story short the council told my my friend that she had to evict them. I took them to the council where lovey lady explained that all the while they are living with family the council won’t act.
The only place was a cockroach infested hostel. The council explained that you will have more chance of a property living in a hostel ( the couple have a child of 9 months)

BlueBelle Fri 06-Oct-23 08:00:08

I do wish you luck as it’s a minefield and so upsetting for you
I do take issue with you saying none of their friends have helped ! That’s expecting a lot if their own families arent rushing forward because of the difficulties
Having said that I can totally understand how difficult it is to suddenly have two adults who you don’t get on with suddenly descend on you
I would suggest Citizens advice if you’ve got one (ours only do telephone consultations now) or one of the disability charities

Jaxjacky Fri 06-Oct-23 08:11:55

I also have been involved in a similar situation, as Meryl says, you’ll have to evict them as they’re not homeless in the eyes of the Council.
The couple I was involved with then lived in a hostel for a short time before being rehoused, it’s harsh.

Nannarose Fri 06-Oct-23 09:14:58

As they are disabled (I presume registered as disabled?) then your initial best bet is Social Services - is either of them already known to the disabilities team? In my recent experience, housing and social care do not talk to each other much.
How much Social Services can help may be variable, but they will know all the local Housing Associations, charities, hostels etc. and they may be able to offer some sort of support to you. They may also have advice on taking specific approaches to charities & housing associations.

Some local authorities, recognising the 'catch 22' that you describe, have a category called 'homeless not roofless' or similar, which allows you to 'virtually' evict them, but give a roof over their heads whilst they wait. They don't always mention this, but you have a strong case given their disabilities.
What a number of people do in your situtation is evict nominally, secure the hostel place, but actually only spend enough time there to demonstrate they are using it.
If they are not even being offered that, then I suggest your local Councillor or MP should be involved.

Bobblesack Fri 06-Oct-23 09:24:32

Thanks for some very useful hints. We've spoken with Citizens Advice, Shelter are next on the list. Social worker says that as they no longer live on his patch he has taken them off his books.
Nannarose - thank you, I've never heard of "homeless not roofless" and will certainly look into that.

Primrose53 Fri 06-Oct-23 09:33:11

Contact your/their MP asap. Ours is excellent and usually rings same day or next.

Don’t fully understand your post but if you are saying your DS and partner now live in another area then you need to get them a new social worker where they are now.

Primrose53 Fri 06-Oct-23 09:34:56

PS it is quite usual for social workers to close case. As soon as you move or your current problem is solved, the case is closed.

Nannarose Fri 06-Oct-23 10:03:14

Bobblesack - if they are registered as disabled, then they can access Social Services wherever thay are living now. Social worker in Toytown can close the case if they have moved to Neverland - but now Neverland has an obligation to pick them up.
Thye should have been told that, but may not have realised.

Nannarose Fri 06-Oct-23 10:03:31

Apologies for typos!

Bobblesack Fri 06-Oct-23 10:12:47


PS it is quite usual for social workers to close case. As soon as you move or your current problem is solved, the case is closed.

Sorry not to be clear - we do not live in the same area as they did. By coming to stay with us they have removed themselves from their social worker's case load, and have not yet been assigned a social worker in this area.

Nannarose Fri 06-Oct-23 13:36:02

Yes, I realised that must have happened. But they may wait ages to be assigned a Social Worker, and I am not clear as to whether they or you have let your current Social Services department know where they are, and that they are in need.
They, if they can, should refer themselves urgently. You could also refer yourself / your family as being in need of support.
I think it would be important to try that first.
Also, get them registered on the electoral roll - if you need to involve Councillor or MP it helps.

Luckygirl3 Fri 06-Oct-23 13:40:28

Make a referral to Social Services Adult Team. If they are disabled they will be classified as "vulnerable adults" and as such entitled to a full care needs assessment.

M0nica Fri 06-Oct-23 15:57:51

Contact the charity Shelter?

Juicylucy Sun 08-Oct-23 11:36:54

Wow 2 year residency rule surprises me when so many eastern Europeans are getting housing in my area after much shorter period of time.

BlueBelle Sun 08-Oct-23 11:44:58

Oh please don’t start on that juicylucy there is no need at all it’s all hearsay and media reporting no proof of your statement whatsoever

Primrose53 Sun 08-Oct-23 11:58:50



PS it is quite usual for social workers to close case. As soon as you move or your current problem is solved, the case is closed.

Sorry not to be clear - we do not live in the same area as they did. By coming to stay with us they have removed themselves from their social worker's case load, and have not yet been assigned a social worker in this area.

You or they need to get on to the new S Services asap. You will wait forever if you think they will get assigned a SW. Doesn’t work like that any more. Good luck.

Maya1 Sun 08-Oct-23 12:07:39

We have a charity called the Freeman's charity in our area, Cambridgeshire. They help with situations like this, I would look to see if you have a similar charity. l would also contact your local town councillor, county councillor and District councillor. They all helped me recently with a very serious problem and were absolutely marvellous.
Juicylucy, that doesn't happen here, l worked for the District Council for over 22 years and it doesn't matter what nationality you are, it's a point based system. Inflammatory post in my opinion.
Good luck Bobblesack.

madeleine45 Sun 08-Oct-23 12:36:44

I wonder what your personal situation is? Are you working or retired, are involved with lots of things or have been leading a quiet life up until now? You obviously want to help them all you can , but this will have been a very big change to your own life and you do not see a time limit on it , which adds to stress. I have a married couple friends , who suddenly had to be in charge of a quite serious situation, and they were just retired and coping with their health but various problems. The situation was making them argumentative and upset between themselves. I suggest that they might first have one weekend a month off each. They worked it out and did do it. The man went to a yha and went walking, with gave him that little personal time, the woman had a friend of long years standing and a couple of times they got a twin b/b at the sea and another time in a city and went by train and it was a real break from driving and shopping etc etc. That did help them to get through the patch . and we tried to help the person staying at home. So I took their charge out for a day etc etc. Even if you only had 1 day out on your own, I think you would find it very destressing and does not need to cost a lot. I go to art galleries, parks to just enjoy sitting with a book if it is warm enough. If you have a river or stream nearby , I find the sound of water very soothing and when I am not able to walk properly I take my chair and sit by the water. This does not appear to be any assistance but I do think if you have these little breaks it allows you to cope with the rest of the time in a better manner and on bad days you can at least look forward to your "day off " If you have any health problems yourselves this would seem to be important to let you continue helping the situation. All of the other peoples suggestions seem very good, but if these young people have a specific disability I would look in the library for the contacts in your area. If you get to the right people they should be able to help you through the maze and tell you of any local help that may be available. Often local churchs have coffee mornings and get togethers and sometimes have people who are prepared to be supportive , whether spending a couple of hours at your house , allowing you to get shopping or get out for a walk etc. I hope some of the ideas given are of help to you.

Delila Sun 08-Oct-23 12:58:18

I think the advice for evictees used to be to stay put until there’s a court order against you. I don’t know if that still applies, and in any case it’s too late now for your relatives.

Shelter/local authority housing advice centre are probably the best next stop, and yes, your MP, but it might still help if you tell them they have to go, and put it in writing. It might help them in the long run.

Treetops05 Sun 08-Oct-23 13:38:01

Contact Shelter, or find a Disability Advocate in their area - both will help.

Cabowich Sun 08-Oct-23 13:41:03

I am in a very similar situation involving my daughter and three grandchildren.

It is very stressful and, like you, I was at the end of my tether after a fortnight. My daughter and I had an almighty blow-up which was probably needed to clear the air, and things have been better since then. Not perfect, but better. I put it down to teething problems, neither of us being used to being in each others' pockets all the time.

I don't know how it will pan out. I'd say we've gone from feeling there's no hope of the situation resolving itself, to now having a glimmer of hope. We'll see. I hope your situation is resolved, but it might not be quickly. Good luck.

Jenn53 Sun 08-Oct-23 14:02:21

Contact the charity Shelter. They are very helpful and professional. They will advise and do all they can to find suitable housing. Good luck!