Gransnet forums

Relationships

The best online dating sites for over 50s

(39 Posts)
NatashaGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 04-Jun-20 16:41:42

If lockdown has got you thinking about finding love or companionship, we've rounded up the best online dating sites for over 50s HERE in the UK, along with some tips on finding the best sites for you.

We know dating during coronavirus may seem paradoxical, but looking at it from another angle, lockdown may actually provide you with the perfect opportunity to explore your options with online dating. Plus many online daters are getting creative, hosting 'virtual dates' over Skype, Zoom, FaceTime etc.

We do hope you'll find this a valuable resource whether you're new to online dating or are thinking about trying a new site or app.

grin

ValerieF Thu 04-Jun-20 18:32:21

I am really shocked that Gransnet is promoting online dating services to be honest Natasha. They are not cheap and not actually 'safe' either. Why not add a 'online dating chat' option to your forums?

Jishere Sat 06-Jun-20 00:59:17

Some datelines are free, not sure if the above are but there is plenty others that are.
You say they are not safe Valerie F but if common sense is used then maybe singletons might meet someone. Some guidelines.
1. Never ever give out money to anybody especially anyone who declares they love you, work in the army usually say their American mention god fearing and usually say they need money for medical bills. Con artists.
2. If you have Facebook than you can check your date out.
3. If you have WhatsApp than you can video to make sure person looks like their photo.
4. If ready to meet than do it in a busy place cafe...etc...coffee but let friends know. If that nervous make sure a friend is in the corner of cafe with her sunglasses and book in front of her. Of course only meet when cafes open again.
Lots of people have met partners this way. But online dating might not be for you but for someone else they might find their life partner.

anadybella Sat 13-Jun-20 07:29:18

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Seajaye Wed 24-Jun-20 14:25:55

Actually none of them that I've tried are that great. Some fairly expensive such as Elite Singles and Silver Singles ( both run by same German parent company) and even the ones where you register for free don't often let you have a couple of days free trial of the actual service you will be paying for, as they are looking to sell the service before disillusionment sets in. The most disappointing aspect for me seems to be that profiles of people who are no longer active members/subscribers are included in the free 'searches' or 'matches' which creates the illusion that there may be plenty of compatible subscribers, but reality is that not very many 'matches' actually bother to respond because they no longer subscribe to the fee paying service. I know that for a fact as I have ceased my own subscription with the above companies but still get sent messages from people wishing to establish contact which suggests that my profile is showing as active subscriber when I'm not. It is a shame that there is not even a standard message you can send to explain that you are not an active subscriber so as to let the messenger know in a polite manner that you have not just ignored their message.

But online dating is the modern way, and like a lottery ticket, there is no chance of winning a prize if you do not enter the game.

spoiltheprincess Thu 25-Jun-20 13:55:29

timetogo2016 Tue 28-Jul-20 15:45:26

Well posted ValerieF.
Could not have put it better myself.
We have all heard horror stories so why any woman would put themselves at risk is far beyond me.

GreatGary Sat 01-Aug-20 19:54:57

Jaffacake2 Sat 01-Aug-20 22:24:41

Have reported the above message from Greatgary as sounds like the classic script on online dating sites from someone who is up to scam a woman. The clues,are there in the language "God fearing, someone who will treasure my heart " then straight into an email address to get you off site. The photos are probably taken from the internet.
Please don't respond to this dubious charmer !

Apricity Sun 02-Aug-20 04:49:25

A 'matured' woman? Like cheese? A god fearing cheddar who might break apart a heart? Artichoke? Lettuce?
Definitely a scam. Avoid like a Biblical plague.

Sparkling Sun 23-Aug-20 19:27:40

I would be very worried about meeting up with someone via a dating site, they can tell you anything.

MellowYellow Sun 23-Aug-20 20:08:00

I had awful problems with one of your 'best' websites Natasha, in spite of being wise about the pitfalls. When I tried to cancel my subscription it self-renewed and I was plagued by scammers. I'm shocked you've started this thread.

Esspee Sun 23-Aug-20 20:36:33

My OH and I met through a free on line dating service. We had so much in common, both having lost our spouses to cancer a considerable time before. Life is much better now we have each other.
I was extremely careful and continually refined my approach with experience.
I am happy to give tips to anyone who wants to PM me.

Sparkling Mon 24-Aug-20 06:40:32

I do wonder if Gransnet has a more involved interest in a particular dating site they endorse, that would surely be wrong.

AlfieFoster Thu 26-Nov-20 23:36:28

During a pandemic, it is really very convenient to use apps or sites for online Dating. I did so, and met my partner.

Elrel Thu 26-Nov-20 23:47:03

My DGD wants me to apply for First Dates, anyone tried it?

PaulDavis11SK Mon 07-Dec-20 19:35:20

Chewbacca Mon 07-Dec-20 20:01:01

shagbook.com? Sounds like a really classy, selective dating site
Paul Davis11SK. I'm confident GNetters will be clamouring to join. hmm

Iam64 Mon 07-Dec-20 20:56:35

I can't imagine anything less attractive than on line dating. I realise living alone during this pandemic has been hard. But, I can think of so many other ways to make friends that could possibly lead to more. Why risk so much by internet dating. I'd rather read a book, or in better weather do the garden.

Chewbacca Mon 07-Dec-20 21:21:22

Even cleaning the grill pan out is a more attractive option Iam64.

EllanVannin Mon 07-Dec-20 21:47:16

Jaffacake2, the " charmer" has probably got teeth like a witch-doctor's necklace in real life.

Iam64 Mon 07-Dec-20 21:55:03

Chewbacca, we could start a thread on things we'd rather do than join an online dating site.

Even cleaning the windows is a more attractive option.

Esspee Mon 07-Dec-20 22:04:41

Iam64. You sound bitter.

TrendyNannie6 Mon 07-Dec-20 22:06:39

Oh goodness no, might be ok for some, but wouldn’t be for me if I was single

Iam64 Tue 08-Dec-20 08:40:59

Espee - in what way do I sound bitter?