Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

past life experiences

(40 Posts)
flowerfriend Fri 02-Mar-12 19:05:28

I was brought up to have Christian beliefs and although I am not a practising Christian any longer I would still call myself a believer. My closest friend believes in reincarnation and she believes that as young children we still have a vague memory of previous lives. I frankly think that this is all poppy-cock but she is a dear and kind friend and is mostly a normal fun person to spend time with. So I listen to her and accept books she lends me to read on the subject. I think these books are a load of rubbish. She is now hell-bent on doing self-regression to help her sought out things in this life. She has a book and a CD. When she decides to do it she says she will phone to tell me so that after a few hours I can check on her. Deep down I know that she will be all right but I am a little disturbed by her conviction that she will be able to experience a previous life.

Bronte Sun 22-Apr-12 12:42:19

I’m quite interested in past lives too. When being treated for depression I was asked if I would be hypnotise but I said no. I was reading about false memories at the time. I had enough to contend with without having suggestions or false memories planted by someone who might not know what they were doing.

granbunny Sat 21-Apr-12 21:10:27

Hypnotism requires a sort of contract of trust between you, and can't be imposed against your will

so they say. but i certainly did not want to lose my 'support system' which was taken away under hypnotherapy. i remember the hypnotherapist saying something about 'move away, be distant' and there being a response from the support system, and that was that. when i tackled the psychologist about it at my next appointment, she said she hadn't intended to remove it.

I think hypnosis is dangerous unless you are absolutely sure what you're doing. There are aspects of the brain yet to be understood and meddling can cause untold damage

i am absolutely sure this must be the case. if anyone is thinking of meddling with their minds, please don't.

in case anyone wonders, i had the hypnotherapy with a clinical psychologist to help me deal with the abuse i receive as part of my daily work in an inner city comprehensive.

i am actually interested in past life regression, though! jenny cockell's story was really interesting. the reproduction on this is poor but it will give you the gist www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6yl75kfhqM

Ariadne Sat 21-Apr-12 20:29:51

Or just differently? But still as deep.

Bronte Sat 21-Apr-12 20:21:17

Thankfully we are all different. Some people religious or not have spiritual inclinations that cause them to think a little deeper than most.

flowerfriend Sat 21-Apr-12 11:30:16

No definitely not boredom. She is an artist and spends many hours each day in her studio. She is very creative. bagitha I like sigh on boredom but its certainly not her problem.

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 10:56:44

sign of

bagitha Sat 21-Apr-12 10:56:26

I've always had enough "this life" worries and occupations to fill my time. I wonder if thinking about (wanting) to dredge up supposed past life scenarios is a sigh on boredom?

flowerfriend Sat 21-Apr-12 09:58:16

Dear friend hasnt mentioned self-regression for some weeks now and is currently reading about the past lives of animals. Strangely enough she feels sure that she was a maid of the very lowly kind in a large house at some point in her past lives. She also has some idea about having been a prostitute at the time of Jack the Ripper. In between all this madness she is normal and kind and suffers from all the worries that many of us have - like will my pension always provide me with sufficient income to carry on my current life style and shall I channel the water from my roof into some sort of reservoir.

crimson Sat 21-Apr-12 09:44:14

Rather think of souls as being the same as genes before people knew about genes...confused.

vampirequeen Sat 21-Apr-12 09:38:44

I have no idea....the books she read never explained the awkward bits like that lol

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 09:01:33

If the souls are being born over and over again, where do the new ones come from as our population on earth increases so rapidly? Not that I believe we have souls (although - flippant- I do like soul music and soul food) smile

vampirequeen Sat 21-Apr-12 08:35:36

I've never seen or heard anyone who has been regressed to a cess pit cleaner or night soil collecter which makes it suspect as we can't all have been rich and comfortable. Some had to do the smelly dirty jobs.

Having said that I have a friend who believes that our souls are born over and over with the same other souls. So in one life you might be husband and wife and another you might be good friends. I'm sure it's a load of baloney but would make sense of those times when you meet someone for the first time but feel as if you've known them all your life lol.

Carol Sat 21-Apr-12 08:14:03

I have worked with psychologists who practise hynotherapy ethically and as members of the British Psychological Association and the British Society of Clinic Hynosis. They work with integrity and would never venture into past life regression. Their work is effective in enabling people to move away from unwanted habbits and anxieties. Don't go there - as others have said - it's baloney.

goldengirl Sat 21-Apr-12 07:45:35

People I've read about involved with regression seem to regress to Princesses or high ranking individuals which strikes me as wishful thinking! My father trained as a hypnotist and could self hypnotise. He tried it on me when I came out in spots prior to exams [I hate exams] to calm me down. I think it worked over all but I still didn't do well in spite of my hard work! My mother was very susceptible to hypnosis - and she had a fragile mental state. She had all her teeth out under hypnosis and the level of bleeding was controlled by it too. Amazing. I think hypnosis is dangerous unless you are absolutely sure what you're doing. There are aspects of the brain yet to be understood and meddling can cause untold damage. Your friend should be told to steer clear and however difficult you might find it, you should not get involved.

Greatnan Sat 21-Apr-12 06:55:36

I think feetlebaum summed it up nicely 'regression is baloney'!

Ariadne Sat 21-Apr-12 06:53:07

Or excuses?

Bronte Sat 21-Apr-12 02:48:56

That’s true and it’s the toughest part of it - finding a good therapist. Some people wonder what good would it do to know about past lives. What it does is give you some insight into why certain things in this life keep repeating themselves. It can also be helpful for someone struggling to cope with this life.

JessM Sat 21-Apr-12 01:20:20

I am wondering what "qualifies" someone to do past life regression hypnosis.
I am a big fan of hypnotherapy in the right hands - for reduction of anxiety, facilitating relaxation, cultivating a more positive outlook on things etc.
Someone I know had a less happy experience lately with a hypnotherapist/counsellor who stirred up trauma from early life. (this life)
Trouble is that hypnosis/hypnotherapy is a very wide "church" with lots of different types of qualification.

Bronte Sat 21-Apr-12 00:26:00

Hi there! Does your friend intend to do this regression on her own or with a therapist? Personally I don’t think she should do it without the help of a qualified therapist.

I have been in groups that have discussed this type of thing. It is possible to get some idea about past lives by paying attention to your likes and dislikes; movies, books, people, favourite time in history etc.

Greatnan Thu 05-Apr-12 18:48:01

I know hypnotism works for many patients, but I am sure I could never allow anyone to control my mind.

feetlebaum Thu 05-Apr-12 17:34:38

My small experience of this, apart from working with a stage hypnotist, was a single session, during which I was made to relax, nothng more, and as a result of what was said to my surprise then and there kicked a smoking habit of many years duration. That was in 1976, and I have never touched tobacco since. The 'therapist' was a retred Army Colonel, who did it as a hobby, and charged me £2.10p (two guineas!) which he sent to charity.

Hypnotism requires a sort of contract of trust between you, and can't be imposed against your will. It's not magic or spiritual or any other kind of supernatural flummery.

I see mention of a dentist's use of it above - someone I was at school with became a RAF Dental Officer, and he found it a useful adjunct which he carried on into civilian practice.

'Regression' is baloney...!

granbunny Mon 02-Apr-12 06:45:57

i have had hypnotherapy by a clinical psychologist and consider it very dangerous! don't do it yourself and don't be hypnotised by someone whose name you found in the paper.

flowerfriend Sun 04-Mar-12 15:40:05

You have made very good points and I know I should be firmer when she is talking about regression and wanting me to read about it. Indeed it has been some months now since she last lent me a book. However I dont want to be too harsh when she is merely talking about it. Life does intervene in a most convenient way sometimes and she told me yesterday that what with visiting her sister and having various things to do which take her out every day for a week the regression isnt going to be imminent. And even then she wants to read some more about it. Could she be getting cold feet. Oh I do hope so. Thank you all for your feed-back.

Butternut Sat 03-Mar-12 11:43:03

I am concerned that your friend is asking you to check in on her after a few hours, flower after 'doing it'. What does she think is going to happen?

JessM Sat 03-Mar-12 10:41:38

Yes that is right greatnan, all too easy for a hypnotist to conjure up false memories.
I also agree with jeni that in the right hands (i,e a properly qualified hypnotherapist, not someone who has done a 2 day gimmicky course) it is a very valuable tool, which is sadly, rather out of fashion these days.

flower I agree with the others. i think you should say you respect her spiritual views but really don't agree with them and that you feel uncomfortable being involved in her plan.
Then when she brings the subject up say something like "I really can't get into this stuff, although i know it interests you." And don't accept her books. You are giving out a confusing message. It would be the same if someone was trying to interest you in any other religious belief.