Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Grr................. Anne Atkins

(168 Posts)
Greatnan Tue 24-Jul-12 07:50:14

Why is this woman allowed to lecture us on Thought for the Day? She is so damned patronising and her only qualifications appears to be that she is married to a vicar. Her voice makes me want to scream.

Elegran Thu 26-Jul-12 12:24:35

Gally I think my/Gransnet version is simpler.

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 12:23:51

grin

Elegran Thu 26-Jul-12 12:23:24

Bet that egg custard page has never been so popular.

JO4 Thu 26-Jul-12 11:22:46

I'm gonna make that custard. I love the flavour of vanilla.

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 11:20:30

Yes, it does work but you have to insert your typed bit at the 'preview' stage.

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 11:19:17

egg custard

JO4 Thu 26-Jul-12 11:10:50

Anagram I don't think that would work. Give it a try on this thread.

Lilyg I agree!

Lilygran Thu 26-Jul-12 11:04:50

" She is a vicar's wife who has managed to get herself invited...." Bit sexist? She is also a novelist & writer on religious topics. Could we please have a forum titled 'Anti-religion'? So many of the messages on 'Religion and Spirituality' are actually anti. Some of them quite savage.

Anagram Thu 26-Jul-12 11:03:14

Can you dispense with the double brackets and just tick the 'convert' box, or wouldn't that work if you want to add a typed bit?

Gally Thu 26-Jul-12 04:46:40

Good heavens Jingle I don't understand a word of that - can you say it again grin

JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 23:08:39

To do links, right click on address bar of whatever webpage you want to link to. Click on 'copy' in the list of things on offer. This takes the web address into your mouse (yes. It does) Then go back to message box and click to start. Enter double square brackets. Right click, then click on 'paste' in the list that appears. This will send the address of the web page out of your mouse and onto the screen. Leave a space then type whatever you would like to type. This bit will appear in blue and you have to hope that the reader of the post has the necessary good eyesight and knows that they have to click on this. If you have any doubts, just type 'click here'. Enter double square brackets facing the other way. Go to preview message and test link to make sure it ok. Get rid of the webpage by clicking on the little cross and that takes you back to the message box. Click on post message.

Ok? smile

JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 22:55:25

Anagram. Yes. Totally agree about Martha who did all the work whilst Mary got the praise from Jesus just for sitting and listening! All very well to say that heavenly things are more important than the earthly stuff, but then, nobody notices housework until it's not done! hmm

Elegran Wed 25-Jul-12 22:20:47

stansgran I rememberseeing that there was a way to do those clever links, so i did a search and found this:-

"if you type [[ http://www.whatever.com here ]] without the space after the first double bracket, it will give you a link that goes to whatever.com but shows 'here' " (If they had not put in the space after the first double bracket in that example, it would, of course, have shown "here" in blue and not shown how to do it)

Testing egg custard

Yes!!! It works. (So does the egg custard)

jeni Wed 25-Jul-12 21:21:08

Anyway! I've a 6am start tomorrow!

Why am I still doing this?

jeni Wed 25-Jul-12 21:18:58

Salt was as you said, valuable!

Stansgran Wed 25-Jul-12 21:16:04

Jingle how do you get those references in blue-I am always impressed that i just click on and find wikipedia. And I suspect we are just meant to be good and do as a male patriarchal figure tells us and we will remain alive and useful. I always understood salt to be a very valuable commodity which bothers me to qualify as a punishment

jeni Wed 25-Jul-12 20:58:43

Martha and Mary!

Anagram Wed 25-Jul-12 20:53:57

In those days, possibly! Although I do recall some stories where women were portrayed favourably. I always felt sorry for the one who did all the cooking and cleaning while her sister just sat at Jesus's feet and listened to his stories, though....hmm

jeni Wed 25-Jul-12 20:45:14

Sisters? Apparently yes. Can't remember the sources though!
Bur Miriam was married and would have had lots of children.
Only males would be recorded.
For as we know they are the only ones who matter!grin

Anagram Wed 25-Jul-12 20:20:54

Pint glass? grin

JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 19:55:14

Perry. I like perry.

Only one glass though!

Bags Wed 25-Jul-12 19:45:24

grin What are you drinking, jings?

JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 19:44:22

I can't actually remember what the subject was. confused

JO4 Wed 25-Jul-12 19:43:40

That's very good Bags. smile

Bags Wed 25-Jul-12 19:38:29

I agree about the attitudes and mores of the times, nag. That's why most of it is irrelevant except from a historical point of view today, like any other old stories (old as in ancient rather than 'any old').

I'm not going to read that link, jings. I know what the sensible message is, as does anyone who thinks about the subject at all, with or without religion or faith.