Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

It makes me despair.....

(17 Posts)
Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 09:45:59

According to The Independent, traders in Larkhill have to change their shop signs to exclude green or risk having their windows put in by protestant bigots.

absentgrana Thu 23-Aug-12 09:51:26

Where is Larkhill?

Mishap Thu 23-Aug-12 10:26:53

Despair, despair! Are we still in the dark ages?

Notsogrand Thu 23-Aug-12 10:30:09

Belfast?

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 10:34:34

No, I remembered it wrongly - it is Larkhall, South Lanarkshire.

Grandmanorm Thu 23-Aug-12 10:43:24

How depressing that is. In my opinion that is why religious schools should not be allowed!!!! If children were taught all together regardless of religion I am sure that life would be less complicated and devisive. I have said this somewhere before, but it would be good if the children could be taught about all the main religions and tolerance for others would maybe grow from that.
I repeat, this is my humble opinion smile

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 10:51:55

Granmanorm - it has worked very well where it has been tried in Belfast.

Lilygran Thu 23-Aug-12 11:22:13

This seems to be more to do with tribal allegiance to a football club than any genuine adherence to any religion!

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 11:23:55

But why is that allegiance so clearly split along sectarian lines?

Lilygran Thu 23-Aug-12 11:27:57

According to Wikipedia (where would we be without it?) there are seven secular primary schools and one Catholic in Larkhall. There is one secular secondary school. Greatnan, thugs will find any excuse. Religion is a handy one in some parts of Glasgow.

Marelli Thu 23-Aug-12 11:29:34

It's always been like that in that area, unfortunately. Grandmanorm is so right - children make no differences when they play together, but once separated and shown that they are considered different by the adults who care for them and educate them, then everything goes awry. sad

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 11:29:37

We are now in complete agreement, Lily.

Joan Thu 23-Aug-12 12:10:06

It's a good thing here in Queensland that there is no sectarianism. Even catholic schools teach 'Study of Religions' ie study of all the main religions. I know, because my eldest son teaches this to 15-18 year olds as well as History and English. He has taken his students to mosques, synagogues, anglican churches, orthodox churches and Buddhist celebrations among other places. I believe this subject is very good for preventing trouble later in their lives.

The only real sectarianism or tribalism we have in this State concerns sport, but in spite of our sporting-mad reputation, more people go to public libraries on any given weekend, than sporting fixtures.

They have these inter-state rugby league matches once a year (I think) called 'state of origin'. The Queensland colour is maroon (which they inexplicably pronounce marone) and their main rival, NSW, is blue, so you might get sniffed at for wearing blue on the train on a game night, but that's about the extend of it.

Greatnan Thu 23-Aug-12 12:15:52

Lily, when you say secular schools, do you mean not affiliated to any sect at all? Most village schools in England are at least partly under the influence of either the C of E or the catholic church.
I agree that most schools now teach about the world religions in an unbiased way - all credit to teachers. Privately funded academies may be a different kettle of fish.

vampirequeen Thu 23-Aug-12 12:51:08

I worked in an RC school and tbh we had far more children who were other faiths or no faiths than we had Catholic. I think it depends more on the area and as someone previously said the desires of the local thugs.

absentgrana Thu 23-Aug-12 12:59:47

Those whom the gods would destroy they first make mad.

Lilygran Thu 23-Aug-12 13:24:39

I think it depends on the part of the country the extent to which primary schools are influenced by the church(es). In some parts of the post-industrial north, if there is any religious influence it's more likely to be from the mosque! In smaller towns and villages, it is likely that a lot of community activities and events are still centred on a church so to that extent non-denominational/faith schools will be involved with the church. We should, perhaps, remember that the law still requires RE to be taught in schools and that there should be regular assemblies of a largely Christian nature. Letting the children take part in the local church sponsored flower show or summer fete lets schools off the hook. Absent confused