Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Gender equality and religious freedom in politics

(130 Posts)
Bags Sat 01-Sep-12 07:31:23

A religious sect in The Netherlands is not allowed to prevent women from standing for election. Good ruling. Glad to see the ECHR can and does make sensible decisions sometimes.

Greatnan Sun 02-Sep-12 07:29:50

Oh, dear - a lot of my 'jokes' (one member thinks the word has to be in inverted commas, for some reason) are sexist, usually making fun of men. I think there is a big difference in the sense of humour, especially of irony, between different members.

vampirequeen Sun 02-Sep-12 08:13:09

JO4....how sad not to have an unsophisticated sense of humour. If you only find sophisticated humour funny you can't laugh very much.

I love unsophisticated humour. Laughing now just thinking about Eric Sykes in The Plank, Basil Fawlty beating his car with a branch and "You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!"

absentgrana Sun 02-Sep-12 08:38:59

That was a valiant effort vampirequeen but I doubt if it had any effect.

Greatnan Sun 02-Sep-12 08:58:43

Do you regard yourself as sophisticated then, jingle? Do tell us what that entails.

whenim64 Sun 02-Sep-12 09:18:52

I loved The Plank and introduced my grandson to it. He laughed like a drain. Simple humour can be as enjoyable and rib-tickling as clever and witty humour grin

JO4 Mon 03-Sep-12 10:32:33

Missed this yesterday.

I don't regard myself as sophisticated. But I have got a small semblance of intelligence and therefore can't laugh at any old thing (especially *Bags' joke there). smile

I like any kind of excellent humour. So there!

up yours

JO4 Mon 03-Sep-12 10:33:39

OMG!

I've done it again.

GN - you wanna delete that?

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 10:36:21

Vampirequeen surely that was Michael Caine in "The Italian Job" grin

JO4 Mon 03-Sep-12 10:38:46

Vampireperson - Eric Sykes one - missed it, I think. Basil Fawlty - prob not have laughed much. "Only supposed to blow the bloody doors off" - hilarious. smile

Ok?

JO4 Mon 03-Sep-12 10:40:51

Oh yes. you're right *Nonu*

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 11:03:05

I don"t like simple humour BIG grin

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 11:06:14

Jo. Great , I think that is one of my all time favourite movie scenes .

Greatnan Mon 03-Sep-12 11:10:24

I try to provide a variety of types of humour in my jokes, which nonu doesn't appreciate. I can laugh at virtually anything, especially myself. A sense of humour is very useful when life gets tough. I can't imagine wanting to spend time with a miserable git.
Jingle - if you want to be rude, just do it, don't pretend to cross it out!

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 11:17:19

Youi are fight on the money I couldn"t bear to spend time with a miserable old git , himself it the tops when it comes to houmour. There are quite a lot of them about though suppose it comes with age.

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 11:21:25

TYpo TYPO Should have read you are right on the money ! still where would we be without homour, I don"t know the answer to that ? I find lots of things humerous .

JO4 Mon 03-Sep-12 11:21:58

Sorry GN. Am on a sugar rush. shock

Italian sweets that DD brought back for me!

JO4 Mon 03-Sep-12 11:22:33

Do you think they put anything else in them? shock

Greatnan Mon 03-Sep-12 11:53:31

Well, nonu, I have posted over 700 jokes and apparently none of them met your standards - I will have to try harder.

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 11:55:01

Who said they haven"t ????????? flag

annodomini Mon 03-Sep-12 12:49:06

700? Really? However many, I enjoy a laugh in the morning. There's no point in arguing about what's funny because we all laugh at different things. I like irony and verbal humour - not keen on slapstick.

Greatnan Mon 03-Sep-12 14:22:14

Nonu, I assumed this post meant you didn't find the jokes funny, or else why the inverted commas?

I wouldn"t call Greatnans posts witty , apart from her daily "Joke"

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 16:28:01

Well you assumed wrong, didn"t u smile

Greatnan Mon 03-Sep-12 16:40:17

In that case, I am very glad that I have been able to brighten you day with some jokes. (It is usually accepted that if you qualify a word with inverted commas you are being ironic.)

Nonu Mon 03-Sep-12 16:53:15

What me ironic , I would agree if I knew what it meant

vampirequeen Mon 03-Sep-12 17:44:35

Nonu ...I knew it was Michael Caine. I didn't name him because it's so well known I didn't need to.

JO4....you seem to have a problem with my name. We've been here before on another thread.

As you well know I am vampirequeen but if you want to shorten it by all means call me vamps or VQ. If this is attempt at sophisticated humour it's going over my head and actually becoming quite irritating.

I use your name correctly. Please do me the courtesy of using mine in the same manner.