Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Choosing the new Archbishop of Canterbury.

(24 Posts)
Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 09:46:22

Just to demonstrate how even-handed I am in my interest in religion!
15 bishops will meet to decide whose name goes forward to be rubber-stamped by the queen. There is , of course, no woman and no black person amongst them - in fact, the only 'foreigner' is from Wales.
Should the world-wide Anglican communion not be better repesented in the process to choose the new leader?

Ceesnan Sun 07-Oct-12 12:25:16

Do you know for sure that the fifteen bishops haven't canvassed world wide Anglican opinion, or are you just assuming that they haven't?

Bez Sun 07-Oct-12 12:43:11

The list of possibles that I have seen still has John Sentamu, Archbishop of York, and born in Uganda as a front runner - that was just over a week ago though - has it changed since then?

JessM Sun 07-Oct-12 12:49:29

And last time I heard, Bishop John was black. grin

vampirequeen Sun 07-Oct-12 13:00:15

www.thespoof.co.uk/news/world/110251/shortlist-for-archbishop-of-canterbury-position-announced

Lilygran Sun 07-Oct-12 13:12:33

The committee consists of 15 clergy and laymen and women according to the BBC. I have no idea if any of them is black.

Ana Sun 07-Oct-12 13:19:18

If we're talking about the CNC, there are at least three women on it.

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 13:21:05

Yes, I have just found the complete list, and the Sunday programme was wrong. Three women out of sixteen members, all white and British.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9591600/The-16-people-selecting-the-next-Archbishop-of-Canterbury.html

Lilygran Sun 07-Oct-12 13:26:19

Greatnan the committee which selects two names to put forward for the Archbishop is the same one that deals with Bishops. The only difference is that the two Archbishops would normally be on the committee but in this case, a lay chairperson is elected instead. Membership is restricted to people who are members of the CoE or 'closely associated' with it but that seems to me a reasonable form of discrimination. www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/9591600/The-16-people-selecting-the-next-Archbishop-of-Canterbury.html

vampirequeen Sun 07-Oct-12 13:45:53

What exactly does the Archbishop do? I ask this in all seriousness. Is he just a figurehead or does he have power to change the Church of England?

jeni Sun 07-Oct-12 13:49:58

Pontificate on matters.

absentgrana Sun 07-Oct-12 13:54:59

jeni At least he's not infallible – not even in matters of doctrine.

Lilygran Sun 07-Oct-12 14:11:16

Archbishop's role: www.archbishopofcanterbury.org/pages/roles-and-priorities.html. Seems reasonable to me.

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 14:14:07

I don't really care what religious leaders do within their own domain - I just keep a wary eye on what they are up to in case they try to involve their own beliefs in legislation, although I do hate the influence of religion on the lives of vulnerable people.

jeni Sun 07-Oct-12 14:40:58

lily is the Poe infallible on matters of doctrine, or does he just think he is?
Discuss!

jeni Sun 07-Oct-12 14:41:24

Poe? POPE!

Stansgran Sun 07-Oct-12 14:46:47

We have only had our Bishop here in Co. Durham for a year seems a pity if he moves on -he needs to win his spurs a bit more. I always thought that the path to Canterbury was Durham then York. I rather like the York man-not being a churchgoer I shouldn't have an opinion but he seems to say his mind and not pussyfoot around. Surely we are past looking at sex and colour of committees in the 21st century?

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 14:55:21

Past looking at domination of the seats of power by white males? I wish.....
The Anglican church is supposed to be world-wide, so where are the representatives of other countries?

Lilygran Sun 07-Oct-12 15:01:36

Not an RC so not qualified to discuss Papal infallibility. The Archbishop isn't head of the world-wide Anglican Church. I think Canterbury has seniority as the oldest Archbishopric, not supremacy. It's a domestic appointment. And if it's of no interest, why raise it?

JessM Sun 07-Oct-12 15:26:08

There was an interesting prog earlier this year about how the Ab of C was a key mover behind the scenes in engineering the abdication of Q E;s uncle, back in the 30s. But cos we have no written constitution he had no direct power in the matter - but thought he should have because he would place the crown on the monarch's head. So he briefed behind the scenes and eventually told the ed of the Times that is was about time he broke the story, and which "spin" should be put on it. The public were largely behind the king.

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 15:30:37

I didn't say I wasn't interested in the process, just that I didn't care about the activities of the successful candidate as long as they don't impinge on my rights or harm others.
I claim the right to post about any subject I choose.

Lilygran Sun 07-Oct-12 16:42:11

But when your OP on religious or ecclesiastical matters is factually incorrect and therefore misleading it might be gracious to acknowledge it!

Greatnan Sun 07-Oct-12 17:18:06

Mea culpa, Lily, I relied on the BBC and they got it wrong. Didn't realise I had to apologise and I did acknowledge that it was wrong.

Lilygran Sun 07-Oct-12 17:22:01

Graciously done smile