Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Day of Agreement

(20 Posts)
Bags Wed 10-Oct-12 08:11:50

According to the Council of Ex-Muslims of Britain, today is Agreement Day. The idea is to avoid dissent for a day, I think. I'll read the article more thoroughly after my shower. Meanwhile, I leave it with you.

Grannyknot Wed 10-Oct-12 08:31:20

I agree to the Agreement Day. Will follow it on Twitter too!

Bags Wed 10-Oct-12 09:14:24

grannyknot, perhaps you can help me. I'm still unsure how to 'join' a hashtag discussion on Twitter. Is there a trick to it?

baubles Wed 10-Oct-12 09:24:17

I'll give it a go, I'm working today so that will be interesting.

I didn't know that today is International Day Against the Death Penalty, thanks for the link.

Grannyeggs Wed 10-Oct-12 09:27:40

I like the sound of it and will try it. Am not sure I can do the fake smile, I think I will just try to avoid anyone who I am likely to disagree with !

Bags Wed 10-Oct-12 09:37:26

grannyeggs, I love your bit about the fake smile! It really made me smile

Greatnan Wed 10-Oct-12 10:38:09

No, can't do it! I won't be seeing anybody in person and I just could not pretend to agree with somebody whose views are totally opposed to mind.
I do understand the thinking behind it and have every sympathy with people living under the threat of persecution on religious grounds.
Anyway, it is raining heavily so I can't go out walking and what else would I do except join in discussions on Gransnet. smile

annodomini Wed 10-Oct-12 10:45:22

I think a Day of Agreement sounds a bit dull. However, I don't enjoy it when disagreement turns into mere dispute instead of informed debate. Mostly, I prefer to keep out of that.

nightowl Wed 10-Oct-12 11:04:22

If gransnet goes completely silent for the day we will know that it is happening....

See you tomorrow smile

Bags Wed 10-Oct-12 11:52:08

Maryam Namazie says "It is possible to always agree. Just don't think or speak."

Chuckle.

POGS Wed 10-Oct-12 19:42:14

nightowl

grin

Nanadogsbody Wed 10-Oct-12 19:48:09

Or post hmm

Bags Wed 10-Oct-12 20:03:59

Michael Nugent (@micknugent) tweeted this: #DayofAgreement is a hashtag for tweeting religious beliefs that we don't agree with

He didn't add, "and just pretending we agree with them".

I've read a good number of them on Twitter. Some of them are soul-curlingly awful confused

I guess that's why we usually don't agree with them hmm

baubles Thu 11-Oct-12 06:45:13

Ok, that didn't work. However I did manage to negotiate a truce between dissenting staff members who were in danger of having a serious falling out, I think that will do.

Bags Thu 11-Oct-12 07:02:22

baubles, grin. I'm sure it will 'do'. Well done you.

JessM Thu 11-Oct-12 07:43:21

It would be a day free of critical thoughts that would be a challenge. Turn the radio off, for a start.

Grannyknot Thu 11-Oct-12 17:08:24

Apologies bags didn't get back to this thread until today! The joys of snatching GN time when I'm at work grin. I'm still learning re Twitter too. The way I understand the hashtag bit - is you do a search for the hashtag you want to follow e.g. #dayofagreement then anything you post on Twitter about that you add the hashtag so that others can pick up what you say. Another way of engaging with people is to add thei Twitter name e.g. @dayofagreement - then all their followers see what you've written. Best of luck - it's fun, I love the discipline of having to keep to 140 characters or less (I tweet for work).

Grannyknot Thu 11-Oct-12 17:08:51

shd be their of course not thei

Bags Thu 11-Oct-12 21:18:46

Thanks (or do I mean Thnx?), grannyknot. I'm finding Twitter useful for directing me to interesting stuff without my having to search in several newspapers, etc. I've found how to search for a hashtag tweet stream, but of course you have to know what you're looking for to look for it, if you see what I mean! Fun though. smile

Bags Thu 11-Oct-12 21:19:49

I also find certain tweeters very entertaining. More fun. Can't be bad! grin