Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Well said, Paul Blanchard

(15 Posts)
Bags Wed 24-Oct-12 08:36:02

www.4thought.tv/themes/should-britain-remain-a-christian-nation/paul-blanchard?autoplay=true

Paul is apparently "happy to call himself a militant atheist", but as the philosopher AC Grayling once pointed out, calling yourself a militant atheist is like calling yourself a militant stamp collector.

absentgrana Wed 24-Oct-12 08:40:27

He didn't look or sound very militant, but certainly made sense.

Bags Wed 24-Oct-12 08:59:04

That's what I thought. Pleasant voice and accent are plusses too, just by the way.

baubles Wed 24-Oct-12 09:05:00

An excellent point, very well made by an extremely reasonable sounding man.

Greatnan Wed 24-Oct-12 09:08:55

I think the person who demanded that he explain his dismissal of religion had completely misunderstood his point (not unusual). He was saying only that believers of any religion should not be given special privileges not that they should not be able to practise their religion. I expect many liberal-minded believers would agree with him.

Lilygran Wed 24-Oct-12 09:28:29

But only in the privacy of their own homes? And did you read all comments? Some of the Pro-Paul people I wouldn't want on my side!

Greatnan Wed 24-Oct-12 09:52:43

You can hardly blame him for what other people post!

petallus Wed 24-Oct-12 10:51:35

Makes a change to have someone bravely proclaiming who is on the other side. Well, suppose there are quite a lot of such atheists about these days. Wouldn't have been so easy sixty years ago.

I had to smile at the comment 'in the privacy of their own homes' Lilygran. Makes praying sound intriguingly fertive. smile

petallus Wed 24-Oct-12 10:52:05

Or do I mean furtive?

Greatnan Wed 24-Oct-12 11:24:56

No reason why people shouldn't pray in their places of worship.

Greatnan Wed 24-Oct-12 11:45:13

No, I didn't read all the comments - why should I? Anybody can post a comment and they are often pretty stupid.

Lilygran Wed 24-Oct-12 11:46:55

You can't blame someone for what other people post....I think you probably could if the OP was deliberately inflammatory. That isn't the case here. But do you want to be allied in any way with people who post offensive comments?

Greatnan Wed 24-Oct-12 12:15:33

No, I don't see why I would be allied with anybody else's posts, unless I said that I agreed with them.

Mishap Wed 24-Oct-12 16:42:42

He sounds a reasonable chap - he can't stop responders talking rubbish on that site.

I am slightly squeamish about the word militant in relation to beliefs of any kind - even the ones I agree with.

absentgrana Wed 24-Oct-12 18:37:03

Surely the privacy in their own homes thing was a response to how often religion – C of E, usually – plays a role in public life. He mentioned the bishops in the House of Lords, but there are many other examples.