Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Buddhism

(74 Posts)
Mishap Thu 07-Mar-13 17:35:22

Our book club book this month is The Art of Happiness which explores the beliefs of the Dalai Lama.

It is documented by an American psychiatrist - a bit of an irritating chap really.

I was intrigued by the Dala Lama's assertion that Buddhists believe that all humans are born inherently and mainly compassionate and selfless. I wanted to invite him to a morning in playgroup with a roomful of toddlers!!

Greenfinch Sat 11-Jul-15 11:46:51

How can you be so arrogant rosewhite? Surely you are "having a laugh" !

Greenfinch Sat 11-Jul-15 11:46:21

How can you be so arrogant rosewhite? Surely you are "having a laugh" !

rosewhite Sat 11-Jul-15 11:02:43

Buddhism is a false religion set up by Satan who saw Buddha sat under atree one day and decided to possess hima nd have him start claiming to have surerior knowledge - naturally the rank and file think such peopel are wonderfula nd start worshipping them.
Buddhism is totally contrary to God's teachings and logic so we know it is Satanic.

Satan used the same method with Bernadette at Lourdes, Joseph Smith in USA, etc etc.

feetlebaum Sat 13-Jun-15 21:31:01

@Mishap - I think you misunderstand the phrase (which Darwin never used) 'survival of the fittest' - the fittest to survive might well be those who act for the good of the population - and evolution is concerned with populations, not individuals.

trendygran Tue 02-Jun-15 17:25:57

How I agree with you lilygran. . I was introduced to Buddhism shortly after losing my DH and then 16 months later, my younger daughter. I was in a very bad place! The frienship I found at the local Buddhist Centre comtinues to help me remain more positive than I would have been otherwise and the meditation is quite calming.
Have to say that , with a couple of exceptions, I received little help from the Congregation of the church myself and my family had attended for many years.
The Buddhist faith most definitely concerns care and compassion for others. absent. -more than I have come across from the church I was very much brought up in.

Jane10 Tue 02-Jun-15 08:53:09

Yes, I'm wondering too why the Buddhists in Myanmar are being so cruel to the Rohingya people? We keep hearing about these radical monks -what's going on? I had always thought of Buddhists as inherently peaceful.

Anne58 Mon 01-Jun-15 19:53:28

I was horrified to read an article today where the person quoted was forced to leave her home in Burma after am attack by a "Buddhist mob".

Please forgive me if I'm being naive, but I thought that Buddism was a religion founded on peace, tolerance and gentleness?

Liz46 Mon 01-Jun-15 14:24:31

Several years ago I visited The Grand Palace in Bangkok and went into the meditation room there. It had the most amazing and relaxing atmosphere. It was just a room but I could feel the peace and wanted to spend more time there.

Mishap Mon 01-Jun-15 12:28:15

Inner peace is one tenet; but compassion is another - I am surprised that one poster felt it had made her DD more selfish - I don't think that is quite in the spirit of the thing!

samraj12 Mon 01-Jun-15 10:34:00

Meditation is a great thing to do. it gives perspective and is an aspect of a potentially sacred life.

samraj12 Mon 01-Jun-15 10:31:47

Thanks for this thread. It is interesting. I do meditate and there is great value in it.

positivepam Tue 12-Mar-13 22:55:59

It is a tremendous compliment Bags and I will try and explain that anyone who really tries to explain Taoism, does not truly understand it. If you read the Tao De Jing, the first verse actually says that the Tao that can be explained is not the true Tao. It is known as "The Way" or "The Path" and you live it. To be a natural Taoist is to be a wonderful person Bags except I bet you don't even realise it or would accept that you are. Nice one. flowers

soop Tue 12-Mar-13 18:20:41

It is a compliment, Bags smile

Bags Tue 12-Mar-13 18:13:03

Three different people on three different continents at three different times of my life have said that I'm a 'natural taoist'. On none of those occasions did I have a clue what they were talking about. Still don't. I took it as a compliment though smile

Galen Tue 12-Mar-13 17:52:27

NFK visiting relatives has that effect on me as well!

soop Tue 12-Mar-13 16:46:02

smile

JammieB Tue 12-Mar-13 16:29:53

I am a practising Buddhist and lead a simple live devoid of attachment, all this really means is that we do not depend on the attachment of other people or things for our own happiness. The basis of our belief is that it is only our interpretation of things that make them good or bad, our philosophy of life is to be kind to all living beings, Regular meditation has been proved to aid recovery from illness and to quieten our minds from the racing around that is part of everyday life, the act of sitting still can reduce blood pressure - a medical fact - and gives us the opportunity to gather our thoughts and file them away neatly.

soop Tue 12-Mar-13 13:03:02

I echo your message, trendygran smile

trendygran Mon 11-Mar-13 17:31:17

I too totally agree with Jadey. I am not a Buddhist, but have been greatly helped by meditation and the total friendliness of everyone I've met who shares the peace and calm felt as a result of a short meditation. There are no 'cliques' ,which seem to exist in many churches, and everyone is made to feel so welcome, regardless of any problems they may have or have experienced.

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Mar-13 20:05:03

Weeeell, not the other side of the world for a weekend, but have managed a bit longer in quite a few distant places - this autumn we hope to return to Africa (just love Saga - they understand the older bladder). We had Taoism explained to us in China near the Li river and it made perfect sense. As did the ability to be Budist and Christian at the same time. At the moment I feel the need for Budist calm and look forward to receiving soops recommended book ( name of which escapes me - third glass of wine after today's visit to mum).

granjura Sun 10-Mar-13 19:10:56

So do I, so do I ... and yet- I am more and more happy to visit closer places - and wouldn't dream of flying to the other side of the world for a week-end, etc.
And those words have made me reflect ... but not there yet - definitely not yet smile

NfkDumpling Sun 10-Mar-13 19:06:00

But granjura I love to visit. I enjoy my food, (can't do the make your own clothes bit), and am very content with my own home. But I do love to visit.

nanaej Sun 10-Mar-13 15:59:06

MY DDs MiL recently became a Buddhist. It does appear that she has become more single minded /self-centred in that she really does only do things she wants, when she wants.
This of course could be her own interpretation of what she has been taught. From an outsiders perception this behaviour appears selfish however the Dalai Lama always appears kind and thoughtful but decidedly naive in many ways.

granjura Sun 10-Mar-13 15:07:49

Let people enjoy the simple technologies,
let them enjoy their food,
let them make their own clothes,
let them be content with their own homes,
and delight in the customs that they cherish.
Although the next country is close enough
that they can hear their roosters crowing and dogs barking,
they are content never to visit each other
all of the days of their life.

Galen Sun 10-Mar-13 15:07:03

Hope so. Thought it might help me relax and take calmer look at life.