Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Why are we here?

(234 Posts)
Galen Mon 01-Sep-14 12:18:08

What is the reason for our existence?

BBbevan Fri 12-Jan-18 06:00:04

God alone knows. Take that statement as you will.

Suleman Thu 11-Jan-18 13:29:46

Why are we here? The question implies we as in one entity that is Human. But i have a serious question about the integrity of this entity? And if there is an answer then it has to come from this entity which is out of question. By nature we are suppose to answer our own question. We are living in age of freedom and individuality, so the right question to ask is why am i here? And i must answer my self as i have freedom to choose.

I have pondered many years with the question, apparently, i think the question comes from our linguistic mind so i bother not so much now.

Like some of others here am too agnostic but that doesnt stop me from being compassionate, understanding and connecting woth others.

Alexa Tue 19-Dec-17 01:25:53

Existence is cause of itself.

Nelliemoser Fri 06-Oct-17 23:40:47

I don't believe in a divine being.
There have been a number of "Gurus" "philosophers" or such people, that have defined and explained ways of living in harmony with other people. Mindfulness or prayer or whatever you want to call it.

So why, when me, the agnostic, was up North Yorkshire way last week why did I feel moved to tears several times by the beautiful scenery.
There must be something in our minds that gives us a powerful "feel good" moment. a spiritual moment of some sort.

Crafting Fri 06-Oct-17 20:49:12

Crumbs, this thread has been reincarnated ?

norose4 Fri 06-Oct-17 14:27:07

Galen, do you have a theory or answer to your question?

helpme Fri 06-Oct-17 13:58:59

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MissAdventure Wed 04-Oct-17 22:19:01

I'm hanging, Maw. By the skin 'o' me teeth!

MawBroon Wed 04-Oct-17 22:15:47

Hang on in there missAdventure
“All will be well in the end, and if it isn’t, it isn’t the end” smile

MissAdventure Wed 04-Oct-17 21:36:30

I have no idea why we're here, and I'm past caring, really..

MawBroon Wed 04-Oct-17 21:30:26

To the tune of Auld Lang Syne
?
We’re here because
We’re here because
We’re here because we’re here
We’re here because
We’re here because
We’re here....
Because we’re here ?

scatpep Wed 04-Oct-17 17:47:04

I do think there is a spiritual reason we are here...in terms of karma as I understand it we are here to learn and grow, gain knowledge and higher spirituality and to amass spiritual 'brownie points' as it were. I just cannot believe that we are born and go through hardship and pain other than to learn and grow.

henetha Sun 11-Oct-15 11:50:15

The reason for our existence is purely biological, I suppose.
But if you mean more than that, then one way of feeling it's all worthwhile is to find someone or something which needs your help
Helping others gives meaning to our lives, I think, and makes us feel better about ourselves.
Also, this is a beautiful planet. Just studying something, anything, to do with natural history, brings fulfilment.

Luckygirl Sun 11-Oct-15 10:36:03

Makes one think? - it certainly does. Makes me think there's one born every minute!

coles Sun 11-Oct-15 09:58:04

I have just finished reading a book by Dr Wayne Dyer and Dee Garnes. "MEMORIES OF HEAVEN" it is a collection of reports from parents of comments and information given to them from their children; regarding where they came from, why they came to a particular set of parents and what God is like. These little ones offer this information in a very matter of fact fashion from first speech as young as eighteen months, even declaring that they were related to the parents in a previous life, grandparents, for example. They say that God is a light and helped them choose their parents. I read it in three days and it is goose bumping, because it rings so true. My two daughters and I know that we have been together before and a niece who died about fifteen years ago, told me when she was six that she remembers being a Mummy pushing her little girl in a push chair, and that she wore jeans. So that may have well been a quick return and again she died at the age of thirteen this time around, so did she learn and acquire all she needed to know in a few short years in both life times? Makes one think, doesn't it?! Blessings to all, Margaret.

mikey345 Wed 07-Oct-15 01:09:40

we are here to learn about love,,,,thats it.we are being prepaired

jinglbellsfrocks Tue 06-Oct-15 13:16:15

God knows. I should be doing some work.

Luckygirl Tue 06-Oct-15 13:14:28

Should there be a reason for us being here? - or indeed for any life at all on earth or on any other planet. We certainly do not know what that reason is, even should it exist. All we can do is get on with what we have and do our best to improve the world, both environmentally and in our relationships with others. End of.

soontobe Tue 06-Oct-15 13:06:35

I spoke to someone a few weeks before she died.
She was rather ranting and raving about God.
I had a calm conversation with her, sometimes agreeing with her points. And discovered that deep down, she was still holding onto a tiny fraction of her faith that still remained.

I would say to others to do the same.

nigglynellie Tue 06-Oct-15 12:49:56

I would love to believe in God and years ago I did. BUT as the years have gone by I've found myself simply unable to fit the jigsaw together. If it's too good to be true, which I think it is, then it sadly probably isn't true. I think I'm in the position of Doubting Thomas; Nothing to do with the state of the world, I just can't believe it, not anymore, just too fanciful! You don't know anything before your life, and I don't think you know nothing after life ends. Why we're here though is one of life's imponderables! I don't think anyone will ever find the answer to that.

Della Sat 03-Oct-15 22:35:47

I have come to think it is somewhat arrogant to think there must be a reason for our existence. Why should there be any reason? For me there is no reason, certainly no reason I have ever discovered (and I sure have thought hard enough and tried to find one which makes sense to me). However, because we are here, I believe we owe it to ourselves, the world and others in the world (both human and non-human) to make the best of it and not waste the time we are here. In some respects we are victims of our own developed (and still developing brains and the ever changing marvellous evolution of life. For me I believe it not to matter what we believe and it to be true that whatever we attempt to do, we are insignificant in the scheme of things (if there is a scheme). In evolutionary terms, one day - just like the dinosaurs - we humans as a species will have had our day. Time and nature are not dependent on whether we exist or not. It is completely immaterial and the world and everything in it as well as the universes will go on quite nicely without us. What we do while we are here will have an affect on those we come across and because of this it matters how we treat each other. Because we are here I believe we should appreciate that we "just are" as other life forms "just are" Personally, I find this world quite amazing - what I have said and what I think does not depress me- quite the opposite - I am accepting of it and still at 69 I am thrilled by the marvellous world which surrounds me. I feel so lucky and privileged that I have been part of the wonderful chaotic nature of it all. I feel I have been granted my individually unique and wonderful, if short, period of "being" in time. When I go - just as before I was born - I won't realise anything - it will be oblivion for me - no heaven and no hell, no ghosts, nothing to fear. I will simply return to the elements from whence I came and in some way the circle will be complete for me. The most logical way for me to think is that in some way those elements may join with others and be utilised some way, but I will know nothing about it if that is what happens.

Ana Fri 31-Jul-15 22:32:40

I'm inclined to agree. We just are.

feetlebaum Fri 31-Jul-15 22:26:03

annodomini's opinion seems right to me - the continuing of one's species says it all. To yearn for some cosmic 'purpose' is just arrogance.

annodomini Fri 31-Jul-15 21:08:29

Shakespeare, King Lear

'As flies to wanton boys are we to th' gods,
They kill us for their sport.'

greatmum Fri 31-Jul-15 20:10:29

I think the Greeks had it just right !!!
We all live in this extremely large box like thing , which can change shape at will, and in the clouds up above are these gods that amuse themselves with setting us trials/contests just to please them or make them laugh!
But we do not always hear their instructions clearly, so wander off!
This can make them bad tempered in such a way as thunderstorms and lightening, or any other frighting event!
Unfortunately they get so angry they don't care how many others are hurt too!

Have you ever felt ..how did I arrive here ? or in this mess!

I like this box theory it fits better with my mistakes...they were not entirely mine lol