Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Philosophical Soundbites

(13 Posts)
petallus Mon 01-Sep-14 14:15:02

I recently subscribed to Goodreads in order to get their quote of the day.
I'm rather disappointed with the quality so far but today's quote is:

'Humanity lives in it's fiction'.

Is that philosophy? I'm not quite sure what it means though I think I get the general drift.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 14:18:03

Well, Goodreads would say that, wouldn't they? They are on the side of the authors.

jinglbellsfrocks Mon 01-Sep-14 14:19:05

I've got this little book of quotes. It came with some kind of healthy margerine.

We could work our way through it.

rosequartz Mon 01-Sep-14 14:20:23

I'm not sure either, it could be taken in more than one way, but equally inhumanity could live in its fiction

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 14:29:39

I took it to mean that all humanity is deluding itself, and is living a different life from one as seen by others.

As in - some people believe their own lies!

whitewave Mon 01-Sep-14 15:38:09

Yes undoubtedly that is true

suebailey1 Mon 01-Sep-14 16:10:55

The saying I have always like is - 'nothing matters very much and very little matters at all'.

janerowena Mon 01-Sep-14 16:17:43

As in, sometimes you do have to accept that on occasion you are making a lot of fuss about nothing.

I like Maya Angelou's 'If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude'. Although I would add 'or clear off somewhere else'.

grumppa Mon 01-Sep-14 17:02:00

Philosophy threads are like London buses. You wait for ages and then three come along at once.

Mishap Mon 01-Sep-14 17:04:44

Very good!

petallus Mon 01-Sep-14 21:41:03

'I think therefore I am'

Alternatively

'I am therefore I think'

Both seem true to me.

durhamjen Mon 01-Sep-14 22:50:49

I hope that wasn't an accurate quote, petallus, in the OP.
If it was, you've wasted your money, as there's an apostrophe that should not be there.

petallus Tue 02-Sep-14 07:48:28

No, that was me durhamjen. I can never remember whether I should put an apostrophe in its or not, even though I have been told on a number of occasions that I should not. So look out for more inappropriate apostrophes in the future!

So Goodreads is off the hook but anyway the subscription was free.