Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Elitism

(78 Posts)
thatbags Wed 24-Sep-14 21:01:52

Is elitism always a bad thing if we accept (for the sake of argument on this thread, where argument means discussion*) that an elite is defined as "a chosen part or group, the pick or best of anything".

*the trouble with philosophy is that you have to define all your terms! wink

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 20:37:55

Good idea! grin

janerowena Fri 26-Sep-14 20:36:16

I didn't ever think you meant that you were.... am now totally confused by what self thought. Anyway, no, I didn't think you thought that I thought Oh stuff it! grin

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 20:34:58

I expect Julie will pop up soon. She's usually lumbered with on duty at weekends.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 20:33:33

Oh yes. Definitely for financial gain janerowena. grin

They're hoping for another money-spinner.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 20:32:29

janerowena I didn't mean that I am......! I didn't even say that.

Ana I had an email today from "Rob" of "Senior Chatters". He wants me to go back. I don't remember ever having been there!

janerowena Fri 26-Sep-14 20:27:34

Philosophically speaking, are Admin Staff, and we are their bosses in the way that Jeeves and Wooster function? As in, we think they are there to serve us, but really they manipulate us, sometimes for our own good but usually for financial gain? grin

janerowena Fri 26-Sep-14 20:24:15

Amongst the Staff, that is.

janerowena Fri 26-Sep-14 20:23:53

Or someone with a more wicked sense of humour left?

Ana Fri 26-Sep-14 20:22:16

I think the GN newsletter's got very boring recently - they don't seem to be bothering much, as though they've lost interest.

Last week they just quoted a few very recent posts from the forum and this week they've opted for just going for one of phoenix's.

Perhaps Gransnet isn't among the élite any more...sad

janerowena Fri 26-Sep-14 20:22:11

All I had was her excerpt! Yes, it was a very funny thread. grin

You are, of course, both Elite.

I decided to look up 'elitist', as I wasn't sure whether it meant someone who looked down on a lesser mortal or someone who always chose the best of anything and anyone.

The Urban Dictionary (very funny sometimes) had this to say;

'If you don't understand this definition, or voted it down, then you aren't an elitist. Nothing to worry about, but it just proves that you are a lesser being...that's all.'

I know my place.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 20:17:04

This isn't Philosophy. This is total confusion.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 20:15:56

grin The same of course! Try actually reading the thread! grin

janerowena Fri 26-Sep-14 20:12:41

I don't know which of them is the elite, perhaps GN can enlighten us? I got Phoenix's story about over-talkative shop assistants in MY newsletter. What was your story, jings?

Ana Fri 26-Sep-14 20:04:22

Is phoenix élite? Why? What's going on...? confused

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 19:58:50

Whaaat??? confused grin

janerowena Fri 26-Sep-14 19:50:48

That's weird, I have Phoenix in my newsletter! Do we get different letters? Does The Elite get different newsletters from the mere mortals, I wonder?

MargaretX Fri 26-Sep-14 19:03:58

According to my dictionary elite is a noun and therefore cannot be used to describe someone. You can be an elite or a part of an elite. Its a bit like unique- the word is enough and can't be quantified.

That we are ruled by an elite is true. Because they have become rulers . whether earned or not - makes them an elite.

I have no idea what elitism is, living abroad I seldom hear the word used
and suppose it is anchored in the British class system like so many things in the UK.

HollyDaze Fri 26-Sep-14 09:18:23

Who is this week's newsletter person?

(no idea what this is all about now)

petallus Fri 26-Sep-14 08:37:05

I bow to this week's newsletter person grin

Oh jingle cupcake

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 08:24:58

Only HQ could answer the GN elite question. Would it perhaps be the ones who make it most often onto the newsletter? (Have you seen this week's? grin)

I sure as hell know they wouldn't choose me! (Going by the number of past snotty emails arriving in my inbox grin (including the one suggesting I might like to find another forum to inhabit))

petallus Fri 26-Sep-14 08:17:34

I agree with Galen.

When I asked earlier if there was a GN elite, I should have said 'would we mind if there was one'.

thatbags last post deals exactly with the question I was trying to get at.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 08:14:26

The elite of this country are superior to the rest of us. That is what makes them elite. Not more important necessarily. But superior, yes.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 26-Sep-14 08:11:58

Actually, I think they could well be superior human beings.

thatbags Thu 25-Sep-14 22:46:47

Knowing that you are part of, say, an elite group of players of the viola da gamba, is harmless knowledge. Thinking you are a superior human being because you belong to "an elite" is where it goes wrong.

I am not suggesting that any elite viola da gamba players think they are superior human beings though they are, and probably know they are, darn good musicians.

Galen Thu 25-Sep-14 19:15:49

There is nothing wrong with elitism until the elite start thinking they are superior to the common herd. Nobody can be the best in every field!
Can they?hmm