Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Lent

(42 Posts)
petallus Fri 20-Feb-15 10:13:39

i thought I'd do something for Lent this year. I'm reading the Psalms and meditating on them. Already I have picked up a helpful tip.

Is anybody else doing Lent?

petallus Sun 22-Feb-15 17:22:58

Very enlightening article.

soontobe Sun 22-Feb-15 14:11:20

Not exactly in christianity rosequartz.

christianity.about.com/od/whatdoesthebiblesay/a/spiritualfasting.htm

granjura Sun 22-Feb-15 13:57:43

Makes much more sense then, I think. However, in Islam is it an essential and compulsory aspect - whereas it seems it is very much a choice for others.

petallus Sun 22-Feb-15 13:55:02

Yes and many Christians who decide to give up certain foods or alcohol during Lent donate money saved to charity.

granjura Sun 22-Feb-15 13:41:07

Ramadan is very much linked to giving money and food to those in need- it is one of the essential 5 pillars of Islam (zakat)

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 13:29:51

Is denial of food supposed to lift one to a higher level of consciousness?

petallus Sun 22-Feb-15 13:00:52

Other religions' practices involve self denial. Ramadam for instance.

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 12:51:07

Denial and restrictions could help me personally (lose weight) but I don't think that is the thinking behind it grin

granjura Sun 22-Feb-15 12:18:42

Can't understand the denial and restrictions personally- unless it is to help others. I like the idea of saving the money or time from anything, and give it to others.

petallus Sun 22-Feb-15 12:09:03

Oh dear! So far the Psalms aren't as interesting as I'd hoped. I'm up to No 20 and it's mainly bewailing and asking God to break the teeth, smite etc. the many enemies. Also telling God how virtuous the writer is compared with 'the nations'.

Maybe I need to read metaphorically.

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 09:38:00

Join the movement?
Looked on FB and it says we can take a day off today.
DH can cook his own dinner then.

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 09:35:25

Register? Email address? Resource packs?
hmm

rosequartz Sun 22-Feb-15 09:31:29

It reminds me a bit about the young man who was in the paper because he did a good deed every day for a year, some quite simple. I hope he hasn't stopped doing them now the year is up. "That's it, I've done my bit, let someone else be kind for a change!"

I think most of the lovely Gnetters do a good act every day regardless.
Must take a look to see what it includes.

Ana Sat 21-Feb-15 22:55:08

I'm with you, jingl!

(although I probably do an 'act' every day anyway - surely most of us do?)

jinglbellsfrocks Sat 21-Feb-15 22:40:27

I am not giving up anything and I am not doing any sodding acts.

Treebee Sat 21-Feb-15 21:50:34

I'm having a go at 40 Acts too. I've never really done Lent, don't give up chocolate etc as I would see it as dieting not fasting for spiritual reasons. But I like something to focus on and the generosity of 40 Acts appeals. Not sure how successful I'll be though I chased a runaway bit of litter today and stuffed it in a bin while doing my father in law's shopping!

TriciaF Sat 21-Feb-15 19:54:46

Rosequartz - thanks for the explanation.
I'm not so knowledgeable about the New Testament, though I used to be.
I believe the first Lent ended with the last supper, which was in fact the Passover meal.

grannyactivist Sat 21-Feb-15 16:10:36

Purpledaffodil It's good fun isn't it? Today I joined a friend and painted over some graffiti on the local High Street. I'm actually ashamed I didn't do it sooner and without the 40Acts prompting because it took only 15 minutes to complete the job and it's been an eyesore in the town centre for many months. blush
I get much more out of doing this sort of thing than I put in. I have just been outrageously generous with gifts for each of my children - and they were so shocked because they're used to my husband and I supporting people outside the family and just for once I decided that I wanted to do something lavish for them. Their childhood motto was FHB (family hold back) as we so often had needy visitors to the house and to be honest they not only rarely complained, but were very generous themselves. To see their surprise and delight yesterday was worth every penny I spent. smile

Purpledaffodil Sat 21-Feb-15 13:18:28

I'm having a go at 40 Acts too grannyactivist. Some inspiring ideas!

grannyactivist Sat 21-Feb-15 12:25:22

ninathenana I really hope that I have the same sort of outlook on life that that lady has if I live to be nearly a hundred years old. sunshine

ninathenana Sat 21-Feb-15 12:19:01

That clip really made me smile ga what a lovely lady.

grannyactivist Sat 21-Feb-15 11:57:59

I'm doing something called 40 Acts - it's a guide to doing something positive each day. There's a website and a FB page and every day there's an inspirational film. I thought you might like to see this one: https://vimeo.com/83621582 and be inspired by this wonderful elderly woman.

feetlebaum Sat 21-Feb-15 09:21:45

It's not 'the secular things' that stop us from thinking straight...

Anya Sat 21-Feb-15 08:55:21

I'm not a religious person Lilygran but in answer to your question 'what's wrong with that?' I'd answer 'nothing at all'.

In this day and age it would do many of us good to go without, and to remember that in many parts of our world, being hungry (and cold and frightened) is the norm.

My previous post may have been quite light-hearted, but underlying it is the knowledge that we live in a very privileged country.

Lilygran Sat 21-Feb-15 08:35:18

All the major religions incorporate some element of fasting (and you know it doesn't mean the same as starving, feetle) and other attempts to move away from the secular things that dominate our lives and prevent us from thinking straight. Often it is combined with meditation and prayer and extra efforts to be charitable, avoid dissension, pay debts of every kind and make up quarrels. Something wrong with that?