Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

What Adrian Chiles learnt from 46 consecutive days in church

(19 Posts)
Elegran Sun 24-May-15 13:17:25

At first I thought - good for you, Adrian Chiles, spending Lent going to 46 different churches and experiencing different services. Then I realised that every one of the churches he went to was an RC one. So he has ignored all other approaches to Christianity (leaving aside all the non-Christian approaches to God, and, obviously, non-religiosity.)

feetlebaum Sun 24-May-15 13:35:09

He is a convert to Roman Catholicism - they are always the worst!

His choice of course, which he has every right to make - but I have every right to wonder where he has parked his brain...

sunseeker Sun 24-May-15 13:55:42

I am also a convert to RC, I wonder what you mean by "they are always the worst". I don't preach to my friends, some of whom, being atheist, when we do talk about religion call God my invisible friend. My religion means a lot to me but it is personal to me and I don't feel I need to proclaim it to everyone.

After all they are all going to hell anyway (that was a joke grin)!

Elegran Sun 24-May-15 14:02:27

I am not criticising his conversion - that is where his thoughts and heart led him, that is fine, but when he was going to all those different churches why not . . . go to different churches?

aggie Sun 24-May-15 14:31:36

I read that report and wondered the same , and was kind of wondering why he was « googling » on his phone in church , he wasn't that blown away with a lot of the Churchmen , which is a healthy attitude

feetlebaum Sun 24-May-15 14:49:41

@sunseeker - converts are always so enthusiastic - I'm trying to remember who was the famous convert who had an audience with the Pope, who had to remind him that he too, the Pope, was a catholic. Maybe Evelyn Waugh? His late novel 'Sword of Honour' irritates with catholicism...

feetlebaum Sun 24-May-15 14:58:55

PS - I know - I was a convert to non-smoking, and for a while wanted to convert everybody else to my new-found happy state

soontobe Sun 24-May-15 15:32:48

I sort of presume that he did it for his own personal experience? So he wasnt doing it for a book about christianity in Britain today, or somesuch?

I am glad that he enjoyed it. I am not at all sure that I would have enjoyed going to 46 consecutive days in 46 different Methodist churches.

soontobe Sun 24-May-15 15:34:49

I agree though, that for media and reporting purposes, 46 different churches would have been more interesting for the rest of us to read about possibly.

AshTree Sun 24-May-15 16:26:14

I don't really understand why anyone would wonder that he didn't visit churches of different denominations. He's a Roman Catholic and this was a personal challenge. Had he chosen to visit a different denominational church each day, there would doubtless be people wondering whether he was now wavering about his conversion to Roman Catholicism. Whatever his reasons, I really don't think it warrants such disparaging comments.
Perhaps he plans a multi-denominational challenge next, who knows?

annodomini Sun 24-May-15 17:24:38

This is his own account which probably puts a different complexion on his experiences than a newspaper report.

durhamjen Sun 24-May-15 17:34:21

It's the same report, anno.

rosesarered Sun 24-May-15 17:37:00

I agree with you AshTree.

rosewhite Sat 11-Jul-15 11:13:39

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

soontobe Sat 11-Jul-15 12:28:59

Yikes.
As you may know, Jesus judges and condemns us or not. Not you.

mrshat Sat 11-Jul-15 16:12:05

Perhaps a little more in depth knowledge of Catholicism might be in order rosewhite?

vampirequeen Sat 11-Jul-15 16:28:52

Hey Rosewhite, I'm an RC convert. I don't worship graven images. I don't worship Mary. Get your facts right before you attack my chosen faith.

As for demons.....well if you genuinely believe I'm in touch with the dark side you'd better be very careful cos who knows what sorcery I could call upon.

vampirequeen Sat 11-Jul-15 16:30:52

I don't push my faith on others, feetlebaum. In fact if you read my posts across a variety of threads you'll see that I'm quite willing to criticise the Church when it's in the wrong.

vampirequeen Sat 11-Jul-15 16:33:44

46 different churches would have led him to experience a variety of services and styles of service. Some churches are very traditional whilst others can be very happy clappy. Like all Christian denominations you go to where you feel most comfortable.