Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

tarot cards

(15 Posts)
overthehill Fri 21-Aug-15 13:08:44

I have a friend who I have known for a couple of years now.

She must be the unluckiest person going. She has been in an aircraft that had a crash landing, went to France a long time ago now and got caught up in demonstations, things electrical are always going wrong in her house. Nothing seems to work out right for her.

I discovered sometime back she reads tarot cards. Being a Christian I would never have such things in the house. I never felt it was my place to tell her to ditch them but when telling me all the many bad experiences she had, I did jokingly say she should throw them away.

Of course I cannot say this would make a difference to her life but it's worth a try.

What do others think?

Luckygirl Fri 21-Aug-15 13:22:14

Ttarot cards are nonsense, as is attributing bad happenings to their presence in the house. Why is this on the religion thread?

ginny Fri 21-Aug-15 14:01:49

How can a few cards cause things to happen. You could turn the cards every 5 minutes and they would 'say' something different. Total tosh.

overthehill Fri 21-Aug-15 17:54:57

I put it in this section as being a Christian I personally wouldn't entertain anything of the sort.

Ana Fri 21-Aug-15 17:59:58

I don't think there's anything wrong with your friend reading tarot cards, as long as she isn't relying on them to tell her how to live her life on a day to day basis.

I certainly don't think they're causing her bad luck.

If it was a Ouija board she was consulting regularly I would be worried.

jinglbellsfrocks Fri 21-Aug-15 18:34:41

Ooh heck! I'm not saying anything. [shiver]

hildajenniJ Fri 21-Aug-15 18:44:24

I new a nurse who read tarot cards. She read mine just before I sat my state finals. She was surprisingly accurate, although I must say that I didn't believe in any of that sort of thing!
I don't think that having them in the house would cause trouble. They are just pieces of paper with picture on.

coles Sat 22-Aug-15 10:05:01

They are a very ancient way if "seeing" forecasting etc. Like a lot of things in life, it is the intention that counts. I never did take any interest in them, I prefer Angel Cards if I use any at all, or information will come to me, via natural intuition. Blessings to all. Margaret.

Anniebach Sat 22-Aug-15 12:17:32

It is important to a Christian but I don't think we as Christians should tell others not to read these cards unless asked. As for the cards , they cannot influence life events

dogsdinner Sat 22-Aug-15 14:13:14

I too am a Christian but I believe in live and let live. My mother was a Christian who was asked to the read the cards several times at the village church fete for fundraising. No one took it seriously.

Bamm Sat 22-Aug-15 18:15:28

You could say that she is quite lucky! Doesn't seem to have been hurt even though these unfortunate things have happened.

feetlebaum Sat 22-Aug-15 18:43:40

The Ouija Board had no 'powers' whatsoever - it was marketed by Parker Brothers as a game...

If you bindfold the operator(s) it will return gibberish rather than occult messages!

There is a Tarot pack somewhere in this house, in a drawer with other conjuring bits and pieces (plastic fried egg , anyone?). Nothing weird or wonderful has occurred.

Ana Sat 22-Aug-15 18:55:04

People play just with a glass and cut-out letters, you don't have to have a proper board. The results can be frightening to some people - after all, 'spirits' are being called forth. (whether you personally believe or not is irrelevant, some people certainly do!).

Reading the tarot cards is not the same.

grumppa Sat 22-Aug-15 19:22:13

To survive a crash landing in an aircraft suggests the opposite of unlucky.

vampirequeen Sat 22-Aug-15 19:51:57

I'm suspicious of anything that messes with the other side so I'm with the OP. Tarot cards are not to be toyed with.