Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Endless fascination with the possibility of the "afterlife" ;

(350 Posts)
wotanuisanceABC123 Wed 14-Oct-15 19:51:24

Has anyone else, without proof positive been fascinated with the afterlife, spiritual communication etc? I have been since aged 8

GandTea Sun 29-May-16 20:46:44

Oh, that's a rule I wasn't aware of. must remember not to post on threads that other Gners are using.

Alea Sun 29-May-16 20:36:51

Hey, don't have a go at granjura!!
That's usually my job just joking GJ!!

practical Sun 29-May-16 20:33:24

granjura I think you had better keep well away being as you seem to be following me around having a go at me. I don't know what your problem is and don't really care so thank you for keeping well away.

granjura Sun 29-May-16 18:36:33

again yet another old thread on a religous theme deliberately re-opened by practical. How many more??? Purpose? Will keep well away now I am aware.

Alea Sun 29-May-16 18:30:46

Don't hold any brief for any of that I am afraid!, and I think that was my original objection to the OP! No endless fascination for me and no belief in proof, tangible or otherwise.

granjura Sun 29-May-16 18:07:02

I believe in re-incarnation through our actions, end of.

practical Sun 29-May-16 17:51:52

TwiceAsNice When my mother was ill she was always staring at the door as if someone was there then she would stiffen up and turn away, but she went during sleep one night and someone told me if they wont go with who is sent for them a child will go to fetch them in the night. She knew my beliefs but didn't believe there was an afterlife. But at the service during her funeral I saw an orange glow in the tip corner of the chapel and felt a comforting warmth from it then it filled the room.

nigglynellie Wed 16-Mar-16 15:31:53

My much loved uncle also told me that after his death he would let me know if there was anything there- but after 21 years, nothing, except that, when we moved 5 years ago, it was the most hideously difficult house move I've ever done, and I certainly felt his presence at this time, encouraging us, and assuring us all would be well, and it was!!!!!! He's gone again, but who knows!!!

BBbevan Sun 13-Mar-16 14:44:18

My Dad always said he would come back if there was an afterlife. Just to tell us. He has not been yet!
I often feel my Grandma is near though

middleagedmenopausalmum Sun 13-Mar-16 13:57:40

I'm interested in anything spiritual or paranormal. I love Ghost Adventures with Zak Bagins

nigglynellie Wed 17-Feb-16 21:08:02

No problem!!!!

wot Wed 17-Feb-16 21:05:56

Niggly not giggly!

wot Wed 17-Feb-16 21:05:20

Thanks, giggly. I've just ordered a free download of this book. Can't wait to read it!

nigglynellie Wed 17-Feb-16 19:46:15

Has anybody read a book called 'lLife in the world unseen'? By Anthony Borgia. It's a story of how life begins when we die. I haven't read it for years, but I know I found it fascinating.

Imperfect27 Wed 17-Feb-16 09:51:38

On the night my daughter died, two people had a dream. One was a friend of my parents who lived in another country. His son, Simon, had committed suicide a couple of years earlier. In his dream he said a girl with beautiful long hair came to him (answering my daughter's description - she had beautiful long hair). The girl put her hand on his arm and said ' Simon is alright.'

When I telephoned my best friend to tell her the news the phone woke her daughter who was in another room, upstairs. After speaking to me downstairs she went into her daughter, clearly very upset. Her daughter said 'It's Evelyn - she's dead isn't she.' When my friend asked how she knew, she said she had been having a dream: she was in big space with a girl 'with beautiful long hair' (the use of the same phrase really struck me at the time) and ahead of them was a very bright light. Lots of people were walking towards them from out of the light. The girl said 'I'm scared' and my friend's daughter said 'Don't be, they all love you.' She was squeezing the girl's hand to reassure her as the phone rang and woke her up ...

My mum was brokenhearted when my daughter died. She suffered heart problems soon after and died suddenly a couple of years later. The morning she died /I was walking along the beach. I was stopped in my tracks by a noise. The noise was a shout - my daughter's voice crying an excited welcome: 'Nanny'!

I would say I am a person of faith rather than religion. I believe there is something else.

Anniebach Wed 17-Feb-16 09:34:41

Injustice is carried out by man not by God. Unfairness by mans love of money not by God.

TwiceAsNice Wed 17-Feb-16 08:05:02

I am a Christian and believe firmly in an afterlife. I have had several experiences where I have heard and felt my son around me after he had died. The afternoon he died in hospital I could feel a wonderful presence in the room with me and knew that he was being taken to Heaven, I believe the presence was Jesus who takes all children who have died to be with him . My faith is the only thing that kept me sane, if I didn't believe I would see my son again I wouldn't have survived

I don't push my faith down people throats, it's a personal thing for me. It has sustained me through many awful things in my life besides bereavement. It also means that I'm not afraid to die at all, that doesn't mean I'm not going to appreciate every minute I still live on Earth.

Luckylegs9 Wed 17-Feb-16 07:35:29

If you have faith there is more than this earthly existence, that is a very special gift to have because there can be a purpose in the injustices here on earth that one day will be settled , but if you think that this is all there is to life and when we die it will just be like falling asleep that's ok too, but it doesn't help with all the unfairness and cruelty in the world. I find it nigh on impossible to read of cruelty cases or watch the news of people's suffering. When I was younger everything was so simple we didn't see all the horrors our grandchildren do.

lucycakeface Mon 18-Jan-16 17:01:52

My Nan was always very spiritual. When my Granddad died in her arms she said he had the most amazed and happy look on his face as though he was seeing someone he hadn't seen for years. Years later I lived with her and her partner, following the tragic loss of my boyfriend. I was at my lowest ever and she told me to book an appointment with a top spiritualist in London. I did as she suggested and on leaving the church I felt as though a ton of bricks had been lifted from my sholdeurs. I felt so happy knowing that he was ok and that there was hope for me as well.
I lost my dad last April and I have since attended a local spiritualist church where I have met some lovely friends and have received messages that my lovely dad which makes me very happy. I an not so afraid of dying now and truly believe in the afterlife. Its wonderful that your loved ones never truly leave you.

wot Thu 14-Jan-16 23:03:13

Did anyone see the programme on "really" channel tonight on reincarnation? Wow!!

Falconbird Mon 16-Nov-15 09:37:05

Anya - flowers

I quite like the idea of re-incarnation. There is a theory that if you meet
someone and you think you know them already, it may be that
you were friends in a previous life. Reversely if you don't like them they may have been someone you didn't get on with.

I was raised RC and was very religious as a child but stopped when I reached my teens. Now in later life and having gone through a lot of traumas the old teachings have returned and they can be comforting.

When my husband passed away my sons arranged a Humanitarian funeral
because he was a non-believer.

Personally, I did miss the religious element, so the local vicar came to the funeral and I found that a comfort.

Faye Mon 16-Nov-15 05:07:31

An 78 year old man recently said during a group conversation about the paranormal I was involved in said "some people don't need to know." An adamant non believer in the group questioned him, he told her "you don't need to know, there is no benefit."

I think he was right, if you haven't experienced anything like that and you are positive there is no such thing, maybe you don't need to know.

It's like banging your head against a brick wall trying to explain something someone else just can't imagine. Bit like trying to explain something technical to me, I am not technical, never will be, don't want to be and don't need to know. smile

starbird I enjoyed your post at 15:24.

Elegran Sun 15-Nov-15 20:14:57

After reading that review, I've just bought the book. Maybe it will improve my starting/finishing things ratio.

rosesarered Sun 15-Nov-15 20:07:43

I would like to be paid to be a blue skies thinker!

rosesarered Sun 15-Nov-15 20:06:58

This doesn't appy to philosophers though, their purpose is only thought,as they don't have a practical end product to show.