Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

For Good Friday

(11 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 14-Apr-17 10:18:48

The Words From The Cross

Father forgive them for they know not what they do.

Truely, I say to you today you will be with me in paradise

Woman behold your son, Son behold your Mother.

My God,my God, why have you forsaken me.
I thirst .

It is finished.

Father into your hands I commend my spirit.

Greyduster Fri 14-Apr-17 12:12:38

Thank you, Annie. It's easy to forget the spiritual side of Easter when we are up to our knees in a tide of chocolate eggs and Easter bunnies; I for one am a culprit.

grannyactivist Fri 14-Apr-17 12:20:37

Just shared a walk of Witness with other Christians in my lovely little town and am feeling thankful for the wonderful spirit of unity that was evident.

ninathenana Fri 14-Apr-17 12:41:39

We passed the local annual procession of the cross this morning they walk the crosses about 2 miles and then site them on a mound in a local park and there is an open air service.

ninathenana Fri 14-Apr-17 12:43:14

ga excuse my ignorange but would this be a "walk of witness" ?

Anniebach Fri 14-Apr-17 14:04:59

Thank you for joining me

We too have a walk of witness , Nina it sounds the procession you saw was a walk for witness .

There is a lovely sense of unity on the walk, everyone sharing the love from the cross

grannysyb Fri 14-Apr-17 16:41:25

Just listening to St Matthew Passion on Radio 3, to me part of Easter.

mumofmadboys Fri 14-Apr-17 16:42:18

I have been to a Good Friday service this afternoon. Hope to go to an open air ecumenical service by a lake on Easter morning at ,7.30 am. Will also go to H C service at 10 am too.

Iam64 Fri 14-Apr-17 18:52:39

I've been listening to St Matthew Passion on radio 3 as well.
I missed the Good Friday service but joined many others climbing our local hill, a Good Friday tradition. Sadly, we mis timed our walk and missed walking with the cross and the service that takes place there.
Thanks Annie for the reminder x

Anniebach Fri 14-Apr-17 23:18:43

St Matthews Passion is so beautiful .

Mumofmadboys , a service by a lake on Easter Sunday could only be such a wonderful way to celebrate this most joyful of days.

Pity you missed the walk for Witness following the cross Iam but you took the walk so surely it was a walk for Witness

I ,listened to Handels Messiah, do so every year, since a child, it was part of Good Friday in chapel , generations of my family have done so

It's a long day isn't it?

So pleased you all joined in to remember what a very special day it is . X

grannyactivist Sat 15-Apr-17 00:34:49

Sorry not to reply sooner ninathenana, I've had visitors all day and only just popped back on here before going to bed. Yes, it's a walk undertaken jointly by the churches in the town and we stop at various places along the way for a bible reading, a short prayer and a hymn or song. The walking is done in silence, but we hand out pretty paper crosses and a small leaflet giving an explanation of what we're doing and why. It's always well attended and we had quite a large group of musicians with us today so the music/singing was very good.