Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Balliol College bans The Christian Union

(21 Posts)
TerriBull Wed 11-Oct-17 16:19:23

Balliol College have banned The Christian Union from taking part in their Fresher's Fair because apparently Christianity can lead to homophobia hmm I find this a prejudicial assumption to say the least. I don't know anything about The Christian Union but this ban seemed discriminatory. Just that really. Does anyone else have an opinion on this either way.

M0nica Wed 11-Oct-17 16:37:48

It is an abrogation of free speech on the basis of a wild generalisation. The story did not say whether any other religious societies wanted to be present and whether they were banned as well. I would include in that group any Atheist Society that wished to be present.

Homophobes come from all religions and from those with no religion at all.

Riverwalk Wed 11-Oct-17 16:38:57

Old news Terri, the ban has now been lifted - and it wasn't Balliol College that did the banning but the students (JCR).

TerriBull Wed 11-Oct-17 16:46:06

Oh ok Riverwalk I stand corrected.

POGS Wed 11-Oct-17 21:07:49

I can't find anything to say the ban has been lifted I must be missing something.

Irrespective of whether it was the University or the JCR it is the case of a University showing bigotry toward a christian faith.

Actually, it was the University who banned the Christian Union because they are either too afraid of the students or they silently agreed because it suited their private thought too.

No - Platform ( very selective who they decide to no - platform), Anti-Semitism , you name it the fact is Universities are no longer bastions of Free Speech they are anything but.

The inmates have taken over the asylum and the sad thing is they don't see how they have become so bigoted themselves.

Baggs Wed 11-Oct-17 21:29:44

Balliol College JCR Committee is what did the banning and the ban has been lifted for future freshers' fairs. The ban is of a piece with other sillinesses in universities where students think other students need to be protected from ideas. Makes you wonder what they're at university for. Nincumpoops.

College JCR Committees are not "the university".

POGS Thu 12-Oct-17 00:03:09

Baggs.

" College JCR Committees are not "the university".

Yes, I fully understand they are not the university .

My point is the college is/was either in agreement with the JCR when they make such decisions, deny freedom of speech , from the Master down or they are impotent when it comes to decisions made that reflect on the College because the likes of the JCR , students, are in control of Balliol.

It appears to me that the plot has been lost in our Universities/Colleges. The fact is the loss freedom of speech and expression , non- platforming , anti semitism is now reported as 'the norm' in our Universities/Colleges and if from the Chancellors/Masters down this is not/cannot be stopped then it is a case of the universities/colleges as institutions tantamount to aiding and abetting the demise of what our so-called ' Seats of Learning' were known for , tolerance and freedom of speech and expression.

I know you and I have raised similar issues re our universities so please don't think I am arguing/labouring a point . I am genuinely concerned how such establishments are becoming , in my opinion, so radicalised it appears.

Baggs Thu 12-Oct-17 06:07:16

How do you know or why do you assume that "the college" was in agreement with the student committee, pogs? I think it's an important detail and one that we shouldn't make claims about without clear evidence.

I don't disagree with the rest of your argument, that free expression is in danger (and has been for a while) in universities both here and in the States.

Riverwalk Thu 12-Oct-17 06:57:05

Irrespective of whether it was the University or the JCR it is the case of a University showing bigotry toward a christian faith.

This implies that Christian's were singled-out ... I read that they wanted the event to be a safe and secular space which is a different take on the one of Christians under attack.

POGS Thu 12-Oct-17 09:06:00

Baggs

Fair enough !

It did come over as though I was being accusatory to Balliol College so I apologise for that.

I clumsily was trying to make a point how I hold an opinion that there is a will to over protect the students and there are certainly some rather odd choices of whom they deem fit or unfit to invite as speakers etc.

Nelliemoser Thu 12-Oct-17 09:52:51

I am appalled by that . I am an agnostic but I seriously object to those who do have faith being banned.

Having said that the Christian Union are from the evangelical wing of the C of E.
This group do tend to be against gay marriage etc, and you will not get to heaven if you are. Some more extreme persons do not accept evolution, and the age of the world.

I was quite shocked when a niece added The "love honour and obey" clause in her ceremony.

annodomini Thu 12-Oct-17 09:53:22

The CU isn't - or, in my time wasn't, the only Christian organisation on student campuses. When I was a student, albeit 50+ years ago, I was an active member of Student Christian Movement which was on the 'liberal wing' of Christianity; and there was also a Catholic Society. The CU was a fundamentalist organisation. One of its members, asked me if I was 'saved', assuming that I wasn't. Although Balliol's ban on the CU has made the headlines, I haven't heard that other Christian organisations have been treated the same way. I hope the SCM is still active: it helped me on my way to becoming a humanist!

lemongrove Thu 12-Oct-17 10:38:19

I’m afraid that student bodies, like unions ( as opposed to simply students) seem to have become more and more ill eral in their views and policies. They have pet causes, but anything that falls outside those are labelled ‘bad’...scary eh?

lemongrove Thu 12-Oct-17 10:39:12

Typo failure, illiberal ( it should read)

whitewave Thu 12-Oct-17 10:41:06

grin students illiberal -well there’s a thought

lemongrove Thu 12-Oct-17 11:01:37

Nope, student unions illiberal.

MiceElf Thu 12-Oct-17 20:02:44

archbishopcranmer.com/richard-dawkins-oxfords-christian-union-predatory-nasty/

And here’s the truth of it.

Baggs Thu 12-Oct-17 20:45:56

Thank you, miceElf. Good old Cranmer smile

Alexa Tue 19-Dec-17 01:20:35

Is this thread dead? No? Then I'll post.

University students should acclimatise themselves to disrupting influences even Christian ones.

MawBroon Thu 20-Sep-18 16:27:21

Good try to advertise your product - but not quite good enough.

notanan2 Thu 20-Sep-18 17:26:15

The NUS has turned Universities (previously places to BROADEN the mind) into echo chambers where deviation from a single strain of far left politics isn't tolerated, students are DISCOURAGED from thinking from themselves after listening to a wide variety of sources/views and are being told how to vote what to think.

Its a huge problem which goes far beyond any one issue like this. Now even if the NUS isnt directly involved, student groups won't dare play devils advocate and listen to any opposing voices because of the scary aggressive rage it brings out in the NUS minded throng