Religion/spirituality

Help please

(15 Posts)
farview Fri 16-Mar-18 10:50:16

That's a beautiful gift!! Well chosen and special

tanith Tue 13-Mar-18 14:08:11

Thanks for that info ☺️

Caledonai14 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:57:00

In Scotland, many Celtic crosses date back to the dawn of Christianity in our country and the start of a transition from paganism. There is a lot of argument about the meaning of different carvings and shapes, especially concerning circles, but the crosses - like St Martin's on Iona - were powerful symbols of catholicism (with a small c) which reached across the sea from Ireland.

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:15:10

tanith, that sounds good, put a bit of Welsh Family History of your side of the family with it and it will be A great gift.

tanith Tue 13-Mar-18 13:11:00

'Oopsadaisy' an explanation is included with the order of the spoon .

tanith Tue 13-Mar-18 13:09:41

Thanks everyone that's put my mind at rest I'll go ahead with my plan. I'm sure it will all be fine I'm looking forward to it one of my daughters is coming with me it's only Gibraltar but I know dils Spanish/Gibraltarian family are church goers.

Oopsadaisy12 Tue 13-Mar-18 13:08:53

Why not write out, on a card, the history and tradition of the Spoon and also the family connection to it, I’m sure that your GC will appreciate the history behind it when he/she is older.

Bridgeit Tue 13-Mar-18 11:59:47

If it is a problem, then I would see it as a rather sad way of displaying Christianity. So I would give this lovely thoughtful gift,it’s is being given in good faith ( excuse the pun) so if it is not accepted in the vain that it is being given,then its say more about them & their interpretation than it does about you. They will be out of order if they take offence, because there is nothing offensive about it.

Lynnebo Tue 13-Mar-18 11:58:32

Fabulous idea! I can’t see how it could possibly offend smile

kittylester Tue 13-Mar-18 11:55:03

What maryeliza said.

maryeliza54 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:53:14

I’m sure it will be fine - it’s an acknowledgement of your side of the family - it’s nor a voodoo doll??. Don’t check with them - it will spoil the surprise. Lovely idea

Granny23 Tue 13-Mar-18 11:50:02

Sounds absolutely 'special' appropriate and perfect to me and guaranteed not to be replicated by any other gift giver.

sunseeker Tue 13-Mar-18 11:30:59

Why not contact your son or DIL and explain your concerns. I am sure they will be able to reassure you. The loving spoon sounds like a lovely gift.

M0nica Tue 13-Mar-18 11:28:50

As a catholic (half Irish) I can see no problem with a loving spoon as a present. It sounds a wonderful idea. You do not say what country the family live in, but, perhaps, you could google 'christening traditions country'. I tried France where we have a holiday phone and picked up a discussion that showed there, at least, it is like the UK, they mention things like napkin rings and silver bracelets (if a girl).

Presents do not form any part of the christening ceremony, which at heart is a very simple ceremony. But, rather like weddings, how big, small, what customs go with it, etc etc have very little to do with the church and much to do with family and local traditions.

tanith Tue 13-Mar-18 11:07:33

I admit to having very little knowledge about religion as I have no faith but I don't want to commit a serious Faux Pas.
Newest GD is being baptised soon into the Catholic church abroad, I was looking at a meaningful gift and had settled on a Welsh loving spoon as we have Welsh blood in our family. It's a Celtic design and hand made with the child's name and birth date I just want to make sure a Celtic gift wouldn't be a problem for a Catholic family? Probably a really silly question but I do not want to upset my lovely DIL.