Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Bishop Michael Curry's Sermon

(229 Posts)
Alexa Sun 20-May-18 08:51:16

I hope that love will become the great paradigm shift in a similar way to the paradigmatic invention of firemaking.

Ashcombe Thu 12-Jul-18 07:30:28

I loved the whole service and even my atheist husband admired the sermon. My proudest moment was hearing the Kingdom Singers as I taught one of the girls when she was in Y6. She had a beautiful voice then and I gave her a leading rôle in our summer show.

Mapleleaf Sun 27-May-18 21:56:30

Very true, mumofmadboys ??

mumofmadboys Sun 27-May-18 06:28:36

Well not many sermons attract nine pages of comment! Well done Bishop Michael!

starbird Sun 27-May-18 01:13:11

As I understand it, the suggestion of inviting Bishop Curry came from Archbishop Welby who had heard him speak and admired him. . Also, Harry and Megan approved the subject of the talk which was in keeping with the charity work they plan to continue with. . I was beginning to feel I’d had enough after about 10 minutes, but probably in his own church he talks for an hour. As I recall our local vicat, when I was a child, talked for at least 15 minutes or even half an hour. In fact to invite someone of some importance to come all the way from Chicago to talk for 6 minutes strikes me as being very presumptuous and condescending. Ironic given that the Episcopalean Church to which he belongs, broke away from the C of E because after becoming independent of England America did not want to pay obeisance to the Queen as the head of the church.

Yes gogglebox was especially good this week ?

Mapleleaf Sat 26-May-18 23:37:04

Oh, and yes, I agree, gogglebox was hilarious! ??

Mapleleaf Sat 26-May-18 23:19:13

I’m not seeing an awful lot of respect on this thread by some of you for the American archbishop. Whether you agree or not with what he had to say and agree or not that he used the wedding in which to say it, calling him a windbag is downright rude and disrespectful in my book. Yes, he went on a bit, but actually, I don’t for one minute believe this was unexpected by the planners of the wedding. It surely will have been discussed beforehand, and though he may have been given a time slot, I think they will have known he would have gone over it and were prepared for that. Anyway it worked - it’s got us all talking about it! ?
Also, let’s not forget, he is a Christian man, spreading an important Christian message and you don’t have to be Christian to see that his message of love of each other and how important love is, is a very important message. All faiths and none should accept this as so, surely?

Iam64 Sat 26-May-18 15:31:45

I was even more Impressed when I read Prince Philip had broken a rib in a fall a few days before the wedding. He walked without a stick, so soon after a hip replacement.
He has moved off my banned list and onto my national treasure list in recent years.

Anniebach Sat 26-May-18 14:22:50

merlot, I watched gogglebox, yes hilarious ?

Anniebach Sat 26-May-18 13:46:40

He certaintly did, must have been in some pain

Besstwishes Sat 26-May-18 13:44:59

Apparently The D of E also had a cracked rib due to a fall, I would think that was why he looked frail, but he did a sterling job getting there.

Jalima1108 Sat 26-May-18 13:42:03

I did wonder if Zara might have had to make a hasty exit at one point!

OldMeg Sat 26-May-18 12:46:49

Irony is not dead then?

Anniebach Sat 26-May-18 11:15:55

Sadly Maw, it seems the way for some now, good manners, respect for others , courtesy, are not important

MawBroon Sat 26-May-18 10:57:28

No Alexa if one is invited to speak for x number of minutes, it is not “thinking outside” the box to overrun by a multiple of the original length.
It is bad manners.
Perhaps it was inspiring and uplifting, but he was not “in charge” and a running order had been worked out.
What if the choir had decided to fling in a couple of extra anthems , the (brilliant) cellist had decided to play several encores? Then some extra wordy prayers, an extra organ voluntary and the congregation would have been there all afternoon.
Poor Zara Tindall must have been in agony, not to mention Prince Philip just after his hip operation.
Self- indulgent and bad manners.

Anniebach Sat 26-May-18 10:46:55

I thought that to mumofmadboys

mumofmadboys Sat 26-May-18 10:37:18

Perhaps her mum didn't want a companion.

Anniebach Sat 26-May-18 09:49:25

Surprised Megan didn’t invite a companion for her mother ,

Alexa Sat 26-May-18 09:38:36

An inspiring speaker I thought, but way too long! The first five minutes would have been perfect.

Michael Curry's message was incorporated with his unconventionality. His unconventionality to speak thus and for so long at a royal wedding was an example of how we must now think outside the box. I thought that the smiles of the young couple meant that they can be unconventional and loving.

I agree Doria Ragland was queenly.

Lyndiloo Sat 26-May-18 01:41:16

An inspiring speaker I thought, but way too long! The first five minutes would have been perfect. After that, when the cameras went to Harry and Meghan, it looked to me as though they were trying not to laugh. (Not a good response, though I don't blame them!)

I felt sorry for Meghan's mum, sitting all on her own. But didn't she do well? She must have been so out of her 'comfort zone', but remained calm and dignified throughout. Well done, her!

The lasting thought for me, was when the carriage reached the private road to Windsor Castle. (If you've got it recorded, have another look.) Meghan, knowing that at last she is out of the public view, puts her hand to her chest and looks up at Harry. Her private 'Phew!' For us television watchers, a touching, heartwarming, reaction to her 'Big Day'.

Anniebach Fri 25-May-18 22:20:38

Don’t give up Jalima ?

I will watch that programme Merlot

merlotgran Fri 25-May-18 21:16:36

Just been watching the Goggleboxers' reaction to the speech. Hilarious!! grin

Jalima1108 Fri 25-May-18 20:41:37

Welsh is easier to learn

I have been having a little lesson this afternoon grin
but it has gone in one ear and out t'other

Jalima1108 Fri 25-May-18 20:40:29

grin

Anniebach Fri 25-May-18 08:53:32

It has been more interesting ?

OldMeg Fri 25-May-18 08:12:20

I’m delighted my little obiter dictum has moved the discussion about the Bishop’s sermon onto a higher level ?