Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

After death

(203 Posts)
MissAdventure Tue 28-Aug-18 16:44:29

What do you believe happens after death?
Are we reincarnated?
Do we go to heaven or hell?
Is there nothing at all after this life is over?
smile
I'm very interested, lately, to ponder these things.

TrendyNannie6 Wed 01-Jan-20 17:35:38

Doris stokes the famous medium always said you can’t die for the life of you

Smileless2012 Sat 14-Sep-19 11:41:53

My dear GM used to use a particular brand of hand cream with a very distinctive scent. For a long time after she died, I would pick up the scent, it was really strong. The feeling that she was standing behind me was so strong that I'd turn round expecting her to be standing there.

I never saw although I have seen others, but she was there, I'm sure she was.

blondenana Sat 14-Sep-19 11:32:17

I have loved reading all these posts and i have had experiences which prove to me that there is life after death
My dad who was very cynical regarding any talk even of spirits, my grandmother was a medium and so often the subject of life after death came up
3 weeks before he died, he asked my mother when the 28th was, she asked why and he said he just wondered, no explanation, he then said he had a lovely dream that he was in a garden with flowers the vividness of which he had never seen before, so bright he was dazzled, he said the sky was the bluest he had ever seen too, she didn't think too much of it as he was a keen gardener,
The 28th of May came and my mother heard him call out to her as if in pain, she rushed into the bedroom and he had collapsed, he was already dead, the ambulance came and apparently he had had an aneurism
So that was the significance of the date,

Another time an elderly blind lady who i used to shop for i found on the floor having fallen, i called an ambulance and visited her every day in hospital,
On my last visit she suddenly held her hands up in front of her and cried no no go away, i asked what she meant,she said her mother was there calling her,but she didn't want to go, she said and she's wearing that watch,
When i left the hospital i suggested to the nurses that they contacted her son who lived in another part of the country,
The nurse said oh she will be fine
I told her she won't be here in the morning ,and that was what happened
I felt bad as i maybe should have contacted her son, but felt it more appropriate that it came from the hospital

Anja Sat 14-Sep-19 07:31:34

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. End of.

Peonyrose Sat 14-Sep-19 07:04:43

Truth is no one knows. Live the best life you can, enjoy yourselves, help others. I think it's like going to sleep. If you do the best you can and there is life after, your covered, if not we'll you've had a good life anyway.

Bridgeit Sat 24-Aug-19 22:24:34

I like to believe that we live on in someone’s memory ,
Even if it is something so fleeting as perhaps remembering someones post on here or a comment which may have seemed insignificant but will have stuck in someone else’s mind.

Frinders Sat 24-Aug-19 21:01:21

Biochemicals are not alive. The way I think of us is that we are like cars driving around the world. Cars are made up of three things, a body, a tank of energy and a driver. When the car breaks down beyond repair, the driver gets out and goes off to find a new form of transport. This isn't quite right but somewhere near it: We have a body which we get from our mums, an inheritance which we get from our dads, and a spirit which we get from God. Nothing works without the spirit.

sparklygran Sat 27-Jul-19 08:05:45

I have had many weird experiences but the strangest I ever had was when my 2 DDs were still at school. I got up early one day to let out our two cats. It was January so one came straight back in. I promptly forgot all about the other one and started preparing lunches, etc. Suddenly I heard our patio door open and close. I walked out into the living room and there was the cat, standing looking at me. We just stood there staring at each other when suddenly a cold wind blew straight across me, as if someone had opened the door and brought all the cold air in with them. Then the door at the end of the room opened and closed. I stood there expecting to hear footsteps on the stairs but there was nothing. When I went upstairs DH was in the shower and the 2 DDs were still in bed, asleep. I was mystified. After I dropped the DDs at school I went to my office to drop off and collect some work (I work at home). On the way back along a narrow, fast road, I came the closest I ever have to having a head-on collision with a lorry. It wasn't my fault, it was caused on a blind bend by the lorry driver and a van and I was almost caught in the middle. I missed them literally by inches. Suddenly it all became clear to me. My mum, who had passed away 10 months before and who adored my DDs had thought I was going to be killed and come back to help with the children. She never did think that much of my driving! When I got back to the house it was strangely peaceful and still.
I have had other experiences, too. I have heard and seen things that other people apparently can't see and hear.
Now youngest DD seems to have the same gift (she's 29 btw) I showed her an old photo of me at around aged 3 having a teddy bears' picnic, one that she had never seen before. Without any prompting from me she told me exactly what had happened to one of the toys (it had been lost on a walk with my auntie - my mum was livid at the time!) Daughter has over the past couple of years been through an horrendous time and is still suffering. I may post about it on the estrangement thread when I feel a bit stronger but she says that at her lowest point, my mum appeared in the room to give her encouragement one night. So yes, I do definitely think there is something in life after death.

luckyrose62 Sat 27-Jul-19 07:29:31

I don’t know how or why I started reading this I came on gransnet because earlier in the week. I saw on another thread about obsessive thoughts. I am getting obsessive thoughts about my uncle who I never met aged 19 died in ww2. Mum never mentioned her brother so I did not know much about him. When she started with some dementia I was sat in the chair opposite her and she said Oh Ronnie was sat there last night I told him why was he staying so long as I told him he better go because I was going to bed anyway. Well a burning feeling started on the seated area and spread up my body. Spooky usually gives people shivers. Then when she was in hospital when I visited she asked where is Ronnie? Have you seen him, I suppose he’s busy. Now I know this does happen a lot with people with dementia but now I feel I am obsessed by finding out about this young man. I have done a bit of googling He was in a tank regiment but I remember years ago mum saying he got shot by a sniper who was in a tree? Having googled It seems the tank was hit and the men were killed outside of the tank. ( I wonder if the tank was on fire and they had to get out) hence the bum on fire feeling! Ok common sense tells me when your gone you are gone! I found a couple of letters in my mums things to his parents , he sounded lovely finishing his letter god bless. On another subject when my son was very young he was looking at photos of my daughter who was 5 years older playing with friends. He said I remember that. I said you cannot you were not there. No he said I watched her all the time when I was waiting to be born.

alternativegran Sun 16-Jun-19 10:29:45

Hello Bradford lass72

I checked but neither book is on audio. However if you buy the David Sunfellow kindle version the videos are all on line to listen to.

I do agree about Elizabeth Kubler Ross, her work is so important and completely changed the way the medical profession treats dying children and their siblings.

She is no longer with us but I have a friend who knew her, sadly she faced opposition right up to the end for some of her views. She had burglaries, one of her lamas was shot and in the end her house was burned down presumably because she wanted to put a hospice for children with aids on her land.

BradfordLass72 Sun 16-Jun-19 08:27:39

Elisabeth Kübler-Ross did a lot of work with the dying and her books would convince anyone of life after death.

alternativegran Is your book in an audio CD version by any chance? Or in an audio version I could listen to online?

crazyH Sun 16-Jun-19 00:24:03

What a great thread and great stories. I firmly hope that there is life after death. I want to protect my children and grandchildren....when they say 'someone up there is looking after you'....I want to be that 'someone'

alternativegran Sat 15-Jun-19 23:40:51

If anyone wants to read some serious research on NDEs IANDS have just published a book called Foundations of Near Death Research A Conceptual and Phenomenological Map.

alternativegran Sat 15-Jun-19 23:18:42

Near death experiences have been mentioned, David Sunfellow has written a book called The Purpose of Life as Revealed by Near Death Experiences From Around The World. I have a kindle app on my iPad and downloaded the Kindle version, after each chapter David gives a link to videos of the experiencer talking, it’s very easy to click onto it.

Peter Fenwick has done a lot of research on NDEs and deathbed visions in the UK, several videos and TED talks on You Tube, Pim Van Lommel a Dutch cardiologist believes that consciousness survives after death and has written an interesting book, he is also worth an internet search.

MiniMoon Mon 10-Jun-19 10:49:27

I don't know if I've passed on these anecdotes before, if I have, sorry to be repeating myself.
When DGD was 2/3 we were in the car passing a pub. From the back seat, a small voice said, "we should put on our make-up and jewels and go to the plub."
Another time she was out with her mum and dad at an agricultural show. My daughter bought her a drink in a plastic cup. She tapped it, looked disdainfully at it and said, "this is not crystal". And when they went for lunch the knife and fork came wrapped in a napkin, GD looked at them and xxx asked where the rest of the cutlery was.
We are sure she's been here before, and has come down in the world!??

BradfordLass72 Mon 10-Jun-19 09:02:46

Fascinating video. I sent for Prof Stevenson's books and papers (copies) many years ago.
His research was meticulous and he would not include any case where there was even the hint that the child may have got the information from any adult.

Trueblue your case is similar to many I've looked into and I too have had inexplicable happenings.

trueblue22 Mon 10-Jun-19 08:17:39

nannyc2 hmmangry

trueblue22 Mon 10-Jun-19 07:45:38

My DH passed away suddenly in front of me 2 years ago. He wasn't ill.

However, a couple of days before that he told me he'd had a dream that he 'saw' his late mother. He told he had dreamt that he had to leave me and I would be ok after.

We had been married 35 years and were the closest we'd ever been. So there was no reason for him to say that. I now know it was a premonition dream and gives me a bit of comfort to know it was his time to leave this earth. We had just moved back to London to be near our GC 6 months before this and loved the house we moved to.

Another sign for me was when I had arranged for my cousin to stay with me for a couple of months last year, as she needed to rent out her flat for financial reasons. My late DH couldn't stand her.

While she was here the lights downstairs kept flickering and turning on & off. The radio and computer in her bedroom came on in the middle of the night. A car alarm went off outside her bedroom window. Soon after that she left.

All this confirms and reinforces my belief that there is a type of existence after death. It does give me strength.

absent Mon 10-Jun-19 05:19:27

Bazza Is it really conceivable that when someone is clearly dying, someone else – probably not a loving family member – constantly weighs them so that they don't miss the instant of death and the cadaver can be weighed again immediately after dying?

stevenk Mon 10-Jun-19 04:42:12

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbWMEWubrk0

Dr Ian Stevenson on youtube. There are many videos of Dr Stevenson's research.

DanniRae Sun 05-May-19 16:33:20

I have just come across this thread and found it very interesting.
I would like to add that I believe that we are not supposed to know what happens when we die - and when death comes it all becomes clear to us.
To the poster who said that all religions are good and if they aren't then it's not a religion - thank you. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Poppyred Sun 05-May-19 10:36:06

I have enjoyed reading everyone of these posts. Very reassuring and echoing my own beliefs that there is another dimension out there where we will reunite with all our loved ones including precious pets. For the one or two who don’t believe, I hope you will be pleasantly surprised.

notentirelyallhere Sun 05-May-19 09:35:17

What a brilliant thread with some heart warming stories. I do think houses hold memories. The house I grew up in was part of a Victorian crescent and we all had experiences of cold spots, rooms full of strong perfume which would fade when you entered (no one wore perfume in our family), voices which would suddenly be heard, occasionally the dog's hackles would rise and he would growl at something we couldn't see and my mother was once frightened out of her life by waking in the night and seeing a bright light hovering at the end of her bed. The latter happened several nights running and she stopped sleeping in that room for a while (she was a widow, so slept alone). I could go on, that house WAS haunted......

Like others, I've heard a number of fascinating stories about people investigating their family histories and finding strange coincidences. Either they've bought, unknowing, a house lived in by an ancestor or moved to the same village inhabited years ago.

When I was researching my family history, I was at one point trying to find a definite link with a man who was a well known journalist in the past and also a spiritualist. I walked into a secondhand bookshop, and the first shelf of books I looked at, had, in the centre of the shelf, a book by this man staring me in the face. It was a hardback in a row of cheapish fiction paperbacks and when I took it to the counter to ask the price (because it wasn't marked), the bookshop owner stared at it, said he'd never seen it before, asked where I'd found it and then said 'well, make me an offer'. It's hard to put this down to just coincidence.

I can see clear family traits in my children, so I think things are certainly carried in the DNA but I have heard so many stories like the ones in this thread that it's hard to dismiss them all as rubbish. Thanks everyone, a fascinating and moving Sunday morning read.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 05-May-19 08:52:47

After death?

Back to the Earth.

Anniebach Sun 05-May-19 08:50:49

Years ago our building firm was working on an old house in the country. My elder daughter went there with her husband to be to help with the sweeping up etc when the work was complete. She came home very distressed , her boy friend was startled, she had gone into one of the bedrooms and started sweeping, she ran downstairs to her boy friend sobbing, said’ I want to go home now , I want Mum, I hate this house’. She couldn’t explain, just kept crying .

15 years ago I was working on my family tree, found my maternal grandmother had lived in that house when a teenager with her parents.

My grandmother had a very sad life , she married young, had three children , her husband was killed in WW1, two years later she married my grandfather, they had a son and a year later she died giving birth to my mother, she was 31.
My grandfather died 7 years later.

My g grandfather had been a farm labourer and when I checked the census returns the family had moved many times. My mother knew nothing of my grandmothers life , just the two marriages .

My daughter certainly sensed something in that house , do houses hold memories?