Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Spooky!

(17 Posts)
Lyndiloo Thu 18-Oct-18 01:54:58

Oh ... how disappointing. Just a technical abnormality then. No 'messages from the other side'. sad

Oh well, maybe next time ...?

Mabel2 Wed 17-Oct-18 10:52:58

The logic processor in the calculator is malfunctioning. I would suggest Bunning it and getting a new one.

cornergran Tue 16-Oct-18 06:40:32

It’s the solar panel lindy. We have a similar calculator here which also does odd things. I’ve always blamed reaction to the light levels. It’s never bothered us, no imagination here grin.

Lyndiloo Tue 16-Oct-18 03:45:53

I think you're right, MiniMoon. And I haven't had that. (And discovered tonight, that it turns itself on when I switch the room light on. But that doesn't happen during the day.)

MrsEggy I don't know. There's a little panel at the top of 4 squares and it says 'c-power'. But think you may be right, because there's another little box which has a ( with 'rays' coming out of it.

Synonymous I can't just 'bin it'! I want to know what's going on! (Probably nothing 'spooky', but I'm fascinated.)

I'm recording all the 'messages'. Now just need a Bletchley Bod to decipher them!

Synonymous Mon 15-Oct-18 17:09:04

Bin it!

MrsEggy Mon 15-Oct-18 14:44:40

Lyndiloo it must have some source of power - does it work with mini solar panels - we have one like that but you have to leave it out in daylight to charge it up.

MiniMoon Mon 15-Oct-18 13:11:06

Isn't it ... ---... ? That's dot, dot, dot, dash, dash, dash, dot, dot, dot.

Lyndiloo Mon 15-Oct-18 13:01:56

P.S. Calculator still switching itself on, with bizarre numbers, letters, dots & dashes. But if I go into the room and don't switch anything on, I can see from the light on the landing, that it's off. (Nothing on screen.)
Just had a weird thought - anyone know what SOS is in Morse Code ...? shock

Lyndiloo Mon 15-Oct-18 12:54:29

These last posts remind me of something which happened quite a few years ago.
I have a brass ornament of a little man sitting at a piano. When you wind it up it plays Scott Joplin's 'The Entertainer'. We never wind it up, because it just goes on and on and on, and gets sooo annoying!
Anyway, my husband was telling our grandson about his deceased father, who had been a wonderful pianist and organist - and the little brass man (sitting on the sideboard in the same room) started to play! Just for about 30 seconds, but it was very odd indeed. I'm convinced it was my father-in-law, popping in to let us know that he was still around, and listening in!

MiniMoon Sun 14-Oct-18 14:45:26

Never wind it up!!

MiniMoon Sun 14-Oct-18 14:44:11

I have a musical jewellery box given to me for my 21st birthday by our next door neighbour. It lives in the top drawer of my dressing table. It plays "somewhere my love", I don't remember the proper title! I never mind it up, it hadn't played the tune for many years. Anyway, for two nights before my mother died in hospital, it played its tinkly little tune.
It has never played the tune since.

Smileless2012 Sun 14-Oct-18 13:40:09

hmmfunny things do happen Lyndiloo. Years ago I had a chameleon 'phone, when it rang it played a section of Culture Club's song and the little caterpillar on a leaf played a harmonica; quite sweet really.

When Mr. S. and the boys couldn't stand it any longer it was unplugged, the batteries were removed and it was put on a bookshelf in another room. Months later we heard it singing and when we went to investigate, the little caterpillar was 'doing it's thing' but it was unplugged and there were no batteries either.

No explanation I'm afraid Lyndiloo but knowing others experience weird goings on, might help you feel a little less spooked.

NfkDumpling Sun 14-Oct-18 06:52:36

Why does it happen at all? Too scary! I’d buy a new calculator!

Lyndiloo Sun 14-Oct-18 01:56:28

Ha! Ha! Dumpling. Enjoyed that!

I've checked, and the calculator doesn't take batteries. I guess when it's dead, it's dead.

Tonight's 'message' was M-.-.-

Why doesn't it happen during the day?

NfkDumpling Sat 13-Oct-18 07:19:10

Perhaps it’s telling you it needs new batteries. Does it take AAA size?

BlueBelle Sat 13-Oct-18 07:14:33

Batteries dying or picking up electrical pulses nothing above turning it on and off

Lyndiloo Sat 13-Oct-18 03:47:26

Not sure if I'm on the right thread for this, but something very weird is going on! (And maybe some nerdy guy out there can put my mind at rest!)

I have a Casio calculator, which lives on top of my printer, in my office. It's the sort of calculator that you have to switch 'On', but when you've finished with it, switches itself 'Off' when left for a few minutes.

For the past two weeks or so (never happened before!) if I go into my office at night, the calculator has turned itself on and gives nonsensical readings, such as ME O.O.C.-.-.-.-.-.- There has also appeared 'nnnn7AAA', amongst lots of other configurations. None of them makes any sense!

Now, I didn't think that calculators had letters in them.

What's going on here? And how is my calculator turning itself on?

I thought that perhaps it was some sort of electrical reaction to me turning the computer on - but it doesn't happen during the day, just at night. Similarly, I've tried switching the light on in the day, and nothing happens. Only at night. Spooky!

But if the 'other side' is trying to get in touch, it's failing, miserably!

Any ideas?