Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Angora garments

(32 Posts)
Alexa Tue 19-May-20 13:02:00

Angora yarn is pulled off living rabbits which is as painful as you having your hair pulled out. Then the rabbits are so shocked they cant eat or drink and many die of shock .

In the name of God don't buy angora.

choughdancer Tue 02-Jun-20 10:08:33

Well said @OceanMama!

OceanMama Sat 30-May-20 06:58:07

Really? I was not aware this went on. I didn't even know it was possible to pull the hair from a rabbit. I did once visit an angora farm once and their rabbits were regularly shorn and well cared for. I don't usually buy angora but will be sure to check on the origins of any angora products should I be tempted by any. Thank you for raising awareness. Spreading the word is important so we can avoid inadvertently supporting such practices. I just thought all angora came from shearing.

Iam64 Sat 30-May-20 06:49:12

I agree that it's important to raise awareness of the fact that live rabbits/geese etc are plucked for commercial purposes. When shopping was an easy pastime, I often commented to others buying pillows and duvets for example about the inhumane cruel and disgusting way the feathers had been harvested.

ladymuck Sat 30-May-20 06:22:57

This is something I was not aware of, not that I buy angora anyway. Doesn't some angora come from goats?
This just illustrates how profit comes before ethics. It's well-known how much cruelty there is in China and yet most of us are quite content to buy goods made in that country.
I still won't shop in Tesco because they were selling live turtles in the supermarket they opened in China.

Alexa Fri 29-May-20 22:28:05

It is a terrible world, Choughdancer. Let's keep on trying to make it better.

choughdancer Thu 28-May-20 10:26:15

@Alexa do you remember that slogan years ago, 'Pure New Wool'? It sounded so lovely and summoned up the image of a sheep gently sheared of its unwanted wool; I was definitely fooled! Although this is how some sheep are sheared, the majority are not. Wool has become comparatively cheap over the years, and low price is a strong indicator of low welfare in my opinion.
Thank you for bringing up this important issue of angora; I hope it encourages people to find out more.

Alexa Wed 20-May-20 10:20:06

Janeainsworth, the basic ethic is to examine one's life and try to be good.

Humanists , religious, and self-described atheists all include people who have consciences.

janeainsworth Wed 20-May-20 10:12:27

So Daisymae and Alexa are you both saying that atheists and humanists are amoral and lack a conscience?

Alexa Wed 20-May-20 10:04:25

Daisymae, I agree.

Socrates said "The unexamined life is not worth living".

Conscience is important.

Daisymae Wed 20-May-20 10:00:53

I think that this is a spiritual issue. How you approach your existence is surely the most religious aspect of your life, what you do distinct from what you say. I can't bear silk since I found out that the silk worms were boiled alive to obtain it. Once you know something you can't unknow it. A friend questioned me about the dairy industry, but ultimately felt that ignorance is bliss.

Alexa Wed 20-May-20 09:30:37

Blondenana it'e true a lot of people don't realise. How can we raise peoples consciousness about cruelty in commercial farming?

Alexa Wed 20-May-20 09:29:00

I agree, Janeainsworth .

Good is not always religion, although religion may be good

Gransnet has no special ethics forum .

blondenana Wed 20-May-20 00:11:48

I have also seen those videos and they are very cruel, but i don't think a lot of people know or realise ,
Poor rabbits scream
Also seen geese being plucked alive for goose down jackets and quilts,also ducks same

Callistemon Tue 19-May-20 22:13:00

Yes, it is a moral or ethical issues and a person doesn't have to be religious to abhor such practices.

MawB Tue 19-May-20 21:51:35

AlexaTue 19-May-20 19:54:09
What do you think, Maw? Is cruelty a moral issue

A moral or ethical issue- yes.
Not “Spiritual”,or “ Religious” though.

nightowl Tue 19-May-20 21:44:44

It’s a disgusting practice. Well done Alexa for highlighting it. I believe it’s virtually impossible to produce angora on a commercial scale without extreme cruelty. There are a few small producers in the U.K. who shear the rabbits by hand, but you have to pay high prices for the resulting yarn.

It’s certainly a moral and ethical question, wherever you choose to post it.

janeainsworth Tue 19-May-20 20:46:42

I'm not religious Alexa, so don't ask me.
All I am saying is that religious people don't have a monopoly on ethical values.
A moral code can be derived independently of religious belief.

Alexa Tue 19-May-20 20:19:14

If religion and spirituality are not concerned with morality what are they for?

Orangerose Tue 19-May-20 20:16:41

Completely agree. It’s a disgusting practise.

janeainsworth Tue 19-May-20 20:08:46

What do you think, Maw? Is cruelty a moral issue?
I have to agree with Maw. I too wondered why this was posted in the religion & spirituality forum.
You don’t have to be spiritual or follow a religion to be disgusted by cruelty either to animals or human beings for that matter.
If the topic was modern slavery, would that come under ‘religion & spirituality ‘ too?

EllanVannin Tue 19-May-20 20:01:02

Please don't tell me what to do Alexa.

Daisymae Tue 19-May-20 19:59:59

I returned a jumper containing angora a few years ago and have never bought it since. Unbelievably cruel

MadCatWoman1 Tue 19-May-20 19:58:30

I've seen videos of the terribly cruel practice of pulling out fur from live rabbits. It's barbaric - and it's in China (there are some horrific animal cruelty practices there). Bears "milked" for their bile, pangolins killed for their scales and meat. And we all know about the "wet" markets..........

Alexa Tue 19-May-20 19:54:09

What do you think, Maw? Is cruelty a moral issue?

MawB Tue 19-May-20 14:59:30

What has this got to do with Religion and /or Spirituality?