Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Is this the time for Justin Welby to take a sabbatical?

(17 Posts)
BigBertha1 Mon 23-Nov-20 14:42:15

I lobbied my MP very early on to plead for churches to stay open but answer came there none.

LauraNorder Mon 23-Nov-20 12:46:39

When the church get involved in political matters they are told to stay out of politics and when they don’t, we ask what they’ve been doing.
I agree with Anniebach, we can all help and pray for the sick and their carers and all others.

Alexa Mon 23-Nov-20 12:32:11

Anniebach wrote:
"And everyone can pray for the sick and those caring for them."

Spoken like a true democrat! I agree.

Doodle Mon 23-Nov-20 11:51:16

Sorry to go slightly off track with your thread Maw as this is nothing to do with the Archbishop Justin Welty. I don’t know much about him at all but if anyone is missing a C of E service, may I suggest watching the Dean of Canterbury.

This gentle, calm interesting man has held a morning online service from his garden every single day since the start of the lockdown and I have found them a joy to listen to.
He and other clergy also do an evening service every day.

25Avalon Mon 23-Nov-20 11:51:13

B9exchange yes I too feel the c of e could have done more to reach out. It is after all our established religion.

Anniebach Mon 23-Nov-20 11:50:07

There has been much demand for pubs to stay open, haven’t
heard of demands for churches to stay open.

Lucretzia Mon 23-Nov-20 11:44:56

And to be fair to him, from the article linked above, the churches were closed after the Government banned public gatherings

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby and Archbishop of York John Sentamu - the two most senior clerics - told priests in a letter on Tuesday that they were bringing in the new measures to comply with the Government lockdown announced on Monday - which banned public gatherings of two or more people.

Lucretzia Mon 23-Nov-20 11:42:10

It's well documented that he struggles with depression.

Anniebach Mon 23-Nov-20 11:40:35

He can do no more for anyone than the priest in your local church, he is a priest and surprise he is a human being, doesn’t
walk on water.

And everyone can pray for the sick and those caring for them.

B9exchange Mon 23-Nov-20 11:32:37

It wasn't the Government that totally closed the churches, it was Justin Welby.

www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/church-of-england-closes-churches-slow-spread-coronavirus-a4396546.html

I can't speak for other denominations, but that was the case for the CofE. Our clergy were horrified that even they were banned from entering, and indeed were brave enough to ignore that and go in each day to make sure the building was sound, and because they believed it should continue to be a house of prayer.

I have been so saddened at the lack of response from all faith groups, surely we should have had a weekly service with prayers for the sick and those caring for them, put out on prime time television on all main channels.

I don't think the timing of this announcement is too brilliant, but we should be back to normal by the time he goes off, I think we can survive without him smile

annsixty Mon 23-Nov-20 11:21:24

It is said to be for “spiritual renewal”
Perhaps he has lost his faith.

eazybee Mon 23-Nov-20 11:17:40

I don't think this is a good time for a sabbatical; Justin Welby has been a disappointment as a spiritual leader and I think it would be a good time for him to retire.

Anniebach Mon 23-Nov-20 10:28:34

The government closed churches not the Arch Bishop, previous Arch Bishops have taken a sabbatical, it doesn’t mean
he is taking a holiday.

grannysue05 Mon 23-Nov-20 10:15:23

Am I right in thinking that there has been little/no effective communication from religious leaders worldwide.
I am thinking of the Archbishop of C, the Pope, Chief Rabbi, Muslim leaders etc.
If Justin Welby is missing for part of next year, maybe he will barely be missed!

kittylester Mon 23-Nov-20 10:11:23

I'm with you maw.

I had high hopes of Justin Welby but have been a bit disappointed by his lack of 'presence'.

Ilovecheese Mon 23-Nov-20 10:10:12

Was it his decision whether or not to open places of worship? I thought it was a Government decision.

MawBe Mon 23-Nov-20 10:08:21

Apparently the Archbishop of Canterbury is to take a sabbatical from May to September next year for “spiritual renewal”
What a shame he wasn’t more concerned with such a human need in others during this soul-destroying year. He might have renewed the spirit of many by opening places of worship.
Is it uncharitable to wonder what he has been doing for the past nine months?
Of course he is perfectly entitled to do this, but I wonder how this can possibly be setting a good example to the nation? Most of the rest of us will be looking at next year as possibly a period of hard work for those lucky enough not to have lost their jobs or even homes and financial struggles to restore the economy, not to mention restoring the morale and welfare of the country. Now hardly seems a good time to have a long holiday in France.