Gransnet forums

Religion/spirituality

Faeries and Nature Elementals

(155 Posts)
kgb1987 Thu 10-Dec-20 11:35:17

Has anyone had met or seen a Faery? By these, I really meant those that Rudolph Steiner would have called an Elemental?

MayBee70 Sat 16-Jan-21 15:21:01

That’s lovely V3ra

Stormystar Sat 16-Jan-21 15:19:26

what a gift V the butterfly is an archetypal symbol of transformation, transmutation, and magic in world mythology and religion.

V3ra Sat 16-Jan-21 14:35:07

Not fairies as such, but....

My Mum died peacefully at home after living for several years with Alzheimer's.
The following week my sister and Dad went to register her death.

That day I was at home (miles away) and was scraping the moss and weeds on our block paving.
A butterfly landed and sat nearby with its wings folded.
As I continued scraping, it was in my way so I picked it up and moved it. It sat still again while I carried on scraping.
This intrigued me. I moved round and put my hand flat on the drive. The butterfly sat still.
I took my rubber glove off and put my hand flat on the drive again. The butterfly walked across, walked up onto the back of my hand, and sat there.
I watched, I looked away, it vanished. I was conscious of a warm feeling. It was at the time of my sister and Dad's appointment at the registrar's office.

I googled "butterflies" and they are said to be a sign of the soul departing to a happy place.
I found this very comforting and even now if I see a butterfly in the garden I smile and say "Hello Mum."
I've also found it a nice way to explain death to my little granddaughter: that great grandma was old, and very poorly, and has died and gone to be a butterfly.

My sister is completely cynical about it and to be honest, if anyone else had told me the story, I think I would be too.
But I was there, and it happened ?

janeainsworth Sat 16-Jan-21 13:57:14

Yes it is Lucca, like apologising to someone because they have barged into you grin

lemongrove Sat 16-Jan-21 13:55:22

Add to that fact that two of the ladies are Muslim, and had never even heard of Quakers.

lemongrove Sat 16-Jan-21 13:53:52

It could be Lucca but more likely it was that the book group was fairly newly set up ( about six months) and also most people don’t know much about Quakers so feel unsure what to say.They no doubt thought she was going to come out with outlandish ideas.?

Lucca Sat 16-Jan-21 13:47:35

Lemongrove re your Quaker/book club thing, that’s a very British thing though isn’t it ? To be embarrassed when people talk about beliefs etc.

Galaxy Sat 16-Jan-21 13:45:31

Yes when I went on fairground rides with my children, it was my willpower and holding them very tightly that kept them from falling out.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 13:44:07

grin

lemongrove Sat 16-Jan-21 13:41:59

Peasblossom

Magic is another word for things that happen that we don’t understand or can’t explain.

I still don’t understand how a plane stays up there or how a phone works.

The fault is in me.

I know exactly how a plane works, it’s kept in the air by my willpower and the strong grip on DH and the armrests.

lemongrove Sat 16-Jan-21 13:39:47

I’m liking it too Callistemon (possibly for different reasons)
Will you tell us more of your thoughts?

Stormystar Sat 16-Jan-21 13:26:04

callistomen I'm liking where your going with this Angels`~Aliens

Stormystar Sat 16-Jan-21 13:19:36

imagine someone who had never heard of christianity being told millions of people believed that a baby was born without a human father but through a ghost {holy} which was a manifestation of god~ who was both male and female, and this baby was god and he could make the blind see, walk on water and raise the dead, and after dying himself came back to life. and this person was love incarnate. yes even though we are now in the 21 century thank goodness we can still believe what we choose to believe. for me its because I believe in my heart of something far greater than myself

Peasblossom Sat 16-Jan-21 11:03:45

Magic is another word for things that happen that we don’t understand or can’t explain.

I still don’t understand how a plane stays up there or how a phone works.

The fault is in me.

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 10:57:30

I'm intrigued by magic and folklore. It's lovely to immerse yourself into another realm for a while.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 16-Jan-21 10:48:11

I don’t believe in the supernatural, and I think whatever you choose to believe as long as it doesn’t cause intolerance towards others for example homophobia or racism, then it is up to the individual.

I do however find it interesting how our belief systems are formed. There appears to be a strong influence in early childhood from caregivers, ie nurture, and also emerging evidence of a genetic tendency towards beliefs such as religion.

Missfoodlove Sat 16-Jan-21 10:45:50

I think folklore is wonderful and so magical.
There are so many things we cannot explain and that’s fantastic. .
Life would be so dull without magic,serendipity ,spirits etc.
Imagine explaining the internet to your grandparents, they wouldn’t believe it!

MissAdventure Sat 16-Jan-21 10:45:26

A few years ago I was helping to sort out items for a tombola, and saw a photo frame that I really, really wanted. (There was about 200 items in the tombola)

I told my friend Sue that I had a little trinket box that it matched exactly, and she said she check my tickets as I wouldn't be there.

When I next saw Sue she presented me with the frame, and told me I'd won it because she had prayed to the angels for me. smile

MayBee70 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:41:09

Several times in my life I’ve had a person appear in my life for a short time, helped me through something traumatic and then disappeared out of my life as quickly as they appeared. I’ve always thought if them as angels.

timetogo2016 Sat 16-Jan-21 10:40:37

I remember reciting this to my two boys when they were little.
I met a little elf man once down where the lillies grow,i asked him why he was so small and why he didn`t grow.
He slightly frowned and with his eyes he looked me through and through.
I`m just as big for me he said as you are big for you.

They loved it.
I really wish i knew where i got it from.
It wasn`t of a Unicorn that`s for sure.

Callistemon Sat 16-Jan-21 10:36:21

Most religions hold a belief in Angels. that's because they existed but ancient peoples didn't understand what they were.
They were aliens, of course.

Alexa Sat 16-Jan-21 10:33:59

As for faeries, signals from the dead, and angels, this world is so miserable with its losses and terrors that a bit of escapism is good for us.

Alexa Sat 16-Jan-21 10:31:19

I would have thought a book group if anything would make people know each others' beliefs and ideas. How can one discuss a book without also discussing values?

If a book has faeries in it, it would be still be interesting if it is entertaining ,or if empathises with how people feel.

Alegrias1 Fri 15-Jan-21 22:34:18

I don't usually get involved in the spirituality threads. So I'll leave now with a quote from the man with the cat.

I do not like it and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
- Erwin Schrodinger

lemongrove Fri 15-Jan-21 22:33:46

Back to Father Ted for me....?