Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Experian letter, are they phishing for business or is threat real??

(3 Posts)
GR206 Thu 01-Jul-21 12:47:34

OH has just received a letter saying someone online tried to access details of his credit history and that they have cancelled application as they have our new address, and that he should sign up with them to monitor who is accessing his details. The thing is, he has never had credit, so are they phishing for business or is there a real threat? It's a new one on me?

cornishpatsy Thu 01-Jul-21 12:59:03

Your credit history is not just about what loans or credit cards you have had, it states that bills were paid on time or not. I have always trusted Experian but if you do not want to check your credit score then don’t.

I would never access a site direct from an email even firms I know.

M0nica Thu 01-Jul-21 14:26:42

Scam

The job of a credit reference company is to let duly accredited organisations like banks, building societies,
credit card and public utilities access your record online to check on your creditworthiness.

This is a classic scam email. It doesn't say whether the person who accessed your account was entitled to to do that or not. It is classic scam behaviour use language that sounds worrying but actually means nothing.

Quite a number of organisations have been accessing my credit record online doing all the usual checks that surround a mortgage application.

Bin the letter. Do not respond.