Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Not exactly a scam but.....

(15 Posts)
FarNorth Thu 04-Nov-21 13:10:33

Today I got a call from someone connected with EasyLife, a firm I have bought from.
He talked about a £50 voucher they would send me and said that, with it, I would also get information about a 'wellbeing scheme' costing £70 a year, which would give me instant access to medical consultations (phone or online).
If I decided I didn't want to be part of this scheme, after the 7-day trial period, I could cancel.
So the fact is, they would sign me up to this scheme before I knew anything about it and the onus would then be on me to cancel if I didn't want it.

I told him it was fine to send info for me to decide about but if they were going to sign me up automatically, I didn't want it.

Of course, the hope is that people won't catch on that they are signed up to this thing until after some money has been taken and/or that they won't bother to cancel.

So, not exactly a scam but.....

Baggs Thu 04-Nov-21 13:22:54

Sounds like a scam to me, FarNorth. Thank you for flagging it up.

FarNorth Thu 04-Nov-21 14:33:21

I think it's not a total scam, but is a slippery sales practice.

AGAA4 Thu 04-Nov-21 15:49:50

If this is not illegal it should be.

Cabbie21 Thu 04-Nov-21 19:17:03

Easy Life have become really persistent, once you have bought from them.

MerylStreep Thu 04-Nov-21 19:20:17

Not very nice people by the looks of it.

www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-6435299/We-ripped-Easylife-shoppers-hit-catalogue-retailer.html

FarNorth Thu 04-Nov-21 21:12:07

In the call I got, the bit about cancelling after the 7-day trial period was slipped in among a lot of chat about what a great scheme this was, they'd send me info, I'd get a £50 voucher to buy their excellent goods etc.
Obviously, I was meant to think I'd just be getting a voucher and info in the post but a recording of the call would show that I'd been told the deal and had said yes.
(I did not say yes, btw)

I can easily see how people could be hoodwinked.

welbeck Thu 04-Nov-21 21:48:30

this is almost inertia selling by subterfuge.
thanks for the warning.

Chestnut Thu 04-Nov-21 23:50:05

FarNorth I don't know why you are even holding a conversation with these people. I slam the phone down the moment I realise it's not a friend, family or the doctor. I don't use my land line any more but there's just a chance it could be one of those three.

FarNorth Fri 05-Nov-21 14:57:56

Chestnut I take the view that if I am keeping them talking, that's a few minutes in which they haven't been able to bother someone else.

This call was from a genuine firm and wasn't asking for any info from me, so I wanted to know what it was about.

Having found out, I'm now warning others not to be taken in as (it turns out) the people in the newspaper report were.

TLDR :
Not everyone is as clever as you Chestnut.

Katie59 Fri 05-Nov-21 15:59:36

The sales people are on commission, very pushy, nothing new it’s been happening for a long time

Chestnut Fri 05-Nov-21 16:40:16

The firm may be genuine FarNorth but you don't know if the people you were talking to were actually from that firm. I assume anyone contacting me by phone is a scammer. Maybe one or two are genuine but who cares?

jesindaparker7 Fri 22-Jul-22 11:51:40

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Forestflame Wed 07-Sep-22 13:15:31

Had a real problem with Easy Life a few years ago, similar to the OP, but this was a motor club. Despite my phoning to cancel within the timeframe they still room money from my account which they would not refund. They then tried it again with a grocery club! Told them not to contact me again.

lemsip Wed 07-Sep-22 13:20:36

* AN OLD THREAD!* sorry to shout alert