Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

I didn't ask for it!

(9 Posts)
NannyPT Sat 12-Mar-22 13:38:46

In January I booked with Sykes holidays for a holiday in south Devon and duly paid the deposit. They sent an email to confirm the details and cost but sneakily included travel insurance that I certainly didn't ask for. The rest of the holiday cost is now due and they will help themselves to it next week from the credit card account that paid the deposit. I rang them to query why they had put travel insurance on and they said I had a 14 day cooling off period from when I got the 1st email(in January). I did not notice the travel insurance cost on the 1st email-probably because I didn't ask for it-it was them who added it on along with the booking fee.
I've got the feeling that I nearly caught out before with them some years ago but that time noticed what they had done.
Why anyone would need travel insurance just to get down to Devon from here is ridiculous.
They certainly deserve to be named and shamed.
I would like to hear of any similar experiences that anyone on this forum has encountered.

Elegran Sat 12-Mar-22 14:13:15

I would have though that cooling off was for something that you had chosen and bought but had changed you mind about. If they added an extra that you didn't choose, and were not aware of when you placed the order, then I am not sure you have to have it or pay for it.

Can you get your bank to refuse them taking the money, and instead to pay them for the holiday but not the travel insurance? Phone the bank and ask.

M0nica Sat 12-Mar-22 14:17:27

NannyPT We always have travel insurance. It covers a wide range of things that can happen even before the holiday starts. There may be reasons why you cannot take the holiday and need to cancel, you are protected if the holiday company goes bust just after you have paid the full cost.

It will cover you if you or anyone else become ill on holiday, and for example you have to stay in Devon another week because someone you are travelling with has had a heat attack, is in hospital and you need to stay with them.

Tragically my mother died when on holiday and the insurance covered all the extra costs of getting her body returned home from a holiday destination some distane away.

Why not print out the policy and read it so that you fully realise just what you are covered for.

MerylStreep Sat 12-Mar-22 14:27:53

It sounds like the Ryanair site where you have to opt out of travel insurance.
They might be a little sneaky like Ryanair and make it not easy to see.

M0nica Sun 13-Mar-22 09:34:29

Elegran It is a question of 'caveat emptor'. If you fail to read a contract document properly before signing and sign up to something you do not want because you failed to notice it was in the contract, then that is your problem not the contractors and you cannot expect him to change things after the event .

I think holidaay company's include travel insurance in the price, yes because it is a nice little earner for them, but also because when they rely on holiday buyers to confirm they have insurance some say they have insurance, even when they haven't and then the company gets involved in lots of hassle when something happens and the holiday maker turns out not to have insurance and also lacks the money to pay all the medical and other expenses looking after them incurs.

Doodledog Sun 13-Mar-22 09:46:48

This sounds to me like inertia selling, which is illegal.

This link explains a bit about it, and spells out that companies can’t just add things to contracts and blame you for not noticing. www.hants.gov.uk/business/tradingstandards/consumeradvice/goodsandservices/offpremisescontracts

You could tell them that you do not want their insurance, and that if they take your money you will refer the case to Trading Standards.

Nandalot Sun 13-Mar-22 10:22:48

That’s strange. We had a holiday with Sykes last year and have booked two for this year. I had to tick a box to say yes for travel insurance which I wanted and it showed clearly on my booking confirmation. Perhaps, you misunderstood and thought it was to opt out. We took it because holidays are not cheap and with five of us going we thought it wise.

aonk Sun 13-Mar-22 11:52:12

I completely agree that they should have asked you if you wanted travel insurance. Apart from anything else you might have already had it as I do through my credit card. I do feel you should think carefully before refusing to have it. Over the years I have had to cancel 2 holidays both because of illness in the family. This could happen wherever you travel. Also your belongings can be stolen or damaged in any country.

NotAGran55 Sun 13-Mar-22 12:46:24

Did you book on the telephone NannyPT ?
There may be a recording of your booking call that you could refer to perhaps?

The on-line booking form for Sykes clearly shows the options to select insurance cover either way.