Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

email message asking for help

(16 Posts)
mokryna Wed 13-Jul-22 03:08:38

Reported

MariaP1984 Tue 12-Jul-22 23:38:07

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Franbern Mon 04-Jul-22 11:24:32

Thank you Aldom. Yes, obviously I knew it was a scam which is why I was posting it here.

I did contact someone whom I knew was a close friend of that person asking her to inform her that her email had been hacked.

I find it incredible that people still fall for this sort of thing - but they do sadly.

crazyH Sat 02-Jul-22 16:26:50

Judy54 - code word sounds like a good idea. Thanks

Wheniwasyourage Sat 02-Jul-22 16:21:07

I've had this twice, once from a relation and once from a friend. They had both been hacked, and I did let them know. The code word sounds like a good idea, Judy54. Thanks for that.

Aldom Sat 02-Jul-22 14:31:30

Franbern knows it's a scam. She's posted under *Scams and frauds!

Callistemon21 Sat 02-Jul-22 14:29:12

25Avalon

And let your friend know that her email has been jeopardised.

Yes, she's been hacked.

Judy54 Sat 02-Jul-22 14:25:04

It sounds like a scam On the texts from your Son crazyH a friend set up a codeword between her and her Son when he was away travelling, if the codeword was not used she knew it was not a genuine message. Definitely something worth considering.

Poppyred Sat 02-Jul-22 10:24:50

It’s a scam. I was on the bbc scamming programme last week.

Yammy Sat 02-Jul-22 09:30:21

It's a scam, I've had two like this one from a close relation and he knew nothing about it and one from Canada from a distant relation.

Shinamae Sat 02-Jul-22 09:24:44

crazyH

Are you sure it’s actually your friend ? I had a text from my son, saying that he had changed his telephone number and bank details , and asking for money. I didn’t fall for it, but someone I know fell for a similar scam and lost a couple of thousand. Be careful.

I had that one as well and was actually going along with it but then a warning bell rang and I asked them to name their two brothers (they were purporting to be my daughter with exactly the same problems as you’ve described) obviously they couldn’t so end of that scam for me but not for others…… what a world we live in ?

crazyH Sat 02-Jul-22 09:18:25

Are you sure it’s actually your friend ? I had a text from my son, saying that he had changed his telephone number and bank details , and asking for money. I didn’t fall for it, but someone I know fell for a similar scam and lost a couple of thousand. Be careful.

25Avalon Sat 02-Jul-22 09:18:06

And let your friend know that her email has been jeopardised.

Betty65 Sat 02-Jul-22 09:17:53

Ignore it. If they ask when you see them next, say you never saw their email as you too are having a few internet problems and perhaps it went into your junk mail. I’m willing to bet that if you do nothing then they won’t even mention it when they see you next. Blooming cheek

thisisnotme Sat 02-Jul-22 09:15:35

Variation on a scam - popular in the US
I suspect your friends email has been hacked. Do not do as asked.

Franbern Sat 02-Jul-22 09:08:54

Received an email message yesterday from some I know (but not that well), from a group I go to.

They firstly said they needed a little help and was I available. I said yes - let me know what help.

Then this came back saying they were having problems with their internet (obviously not enough to prevent them emailing),and would I be kind enough to purchase an Amazon gift card for them and they would give me the cash when I saw them at our next meeting!!!!