Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Test and trace phone scam

(9 Posts)
DaisyAnne Sun 02-Oct-22 08:37:10

I received a message this morning purporting to be from Test and Trace and giving a link to ordering a free test kit. Of course, you knowsmile, but just in case DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK

www.devon.gov.uk/news/trading-standards-warning-over-nhs-test-and-trace-text-scam/

FannyCornforth Sun 02-Oct-22 08:50:45

Funnily enough, at exactly the same time I received this

FannyCornforth Sun 02-Oct-22 08:53:02

I must admit - it originally scared me silly, as we have only recently started going out and about due to various stuff.
I heard on the news this morning that Covid is in the rise again, so the b******s are clearly seizing their opportunities ?

Streaky Sun 02-Oct-22 09:01:34

I received the same text this morning. I must have been in contact with the same imaginary person!

maddyone Sun 02-Oct-22 09:48:15

I thought Test and Trace had wrapped up operations, so whoever is sending this quite possibly is not in the country.
It’s easy enough to obtain a testing kit if you’ve run out of the free ones. I’ve still got some left as I collected a few as I needed to test every visit to my elderly mum in her care home. However mum has since died so I’ve still got a few left. It’s not difficult to buy testing kits though.

rosie1959 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:10:08

My DH had one of these obviously fake and test and trace ended ages ago

DaisyAnne Sun 02-Oct-22 10:24:49

I think that might have been what alerted the rest of us rosie. However, I think that if putting even obvious scams on here alerts one person then it's worthwhile.

rosie1959 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:31:28

Most definitely worthwhile DaisyAnne there are so many scammers around. We frequently get a message say x amount has been withdrawn from our bank account

FannyCornforth Sun 02-Oct-22 10:34:22

DaisyAnne

I think that might have been what alerted the rest of us rosie. However, I think that if putting even obvious scams on here alerts one person then it's worthwhile.

Definitely. They succeed by catching people off guard.
Fore warned is fore armed