Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Could you be scammed?

(11 Posts)
Poppyjo Tue 25-Oct-22 21:18:18

Some scams are so sophisticated it can be very hard to recognise. I was caught out many years ago but as soon as money, bit coin, bank statements or gift cards are mentioned the phone goes down. Romance ones are the worst. Note most of these have lost their wife usually in an accident and have a child. Often in military or oil rigs.

As soon as money is mentioned you know it is not genuine.

For many people it happens after a bereavement. Always tell your family so you have their support. I told my son at the time and so thankful I did . I did not believe him at first, but he watched out for me.

Please stay safe everyone. Don’t let the scammers take one penny from you

Chris732day Tue 25-Oct-22 21:52:51

Unfortunately, after the death of my wife after 36 years of marriage some 2 years ago, I became so lonely even though my adult disabled daughter and her carers were with me everyday, but that is different company than I had with my wife.

About a year and a half agoit all got too much for me and I went on a dating site which I had been advised was good and started chating to a lady a few years younger than me and I was so roped into her my cautions went to the wall and when she asked for small amount I obliged, but small amounts add up and when I checked up I had paid her thousands. While deep down I kn ew I was being scammed I could not believe it so I contacted the police and they confirmed that I was being scammed. Although I gage them all the info I had I don't believe they took it further. I gave them photos, name she used and also her bank account details. not nothing.

I am back on another site but no so much more causious have to be so wary.

GagaJo Tue 25-Oct-22 22:23:47

I'd like to think I couldn't be, but I think there are some very sophisticated chancers out there.

I do remember 4 years ago, I was contacted through a networking organisation I belong to by a man who seemed charming. I answered him once, but knew he was dodgy. An older friend, who was also a member of the organisation mentioned chatting online to a man and described the bloke who had contacted me. I didn't have the heart to tell her he was a fake. Fortunately, she told her son about him and he put her right.

I think once we get past a certain age, any online 'romantic' contact is liable to be a catfish. There are so many older women and far less older men. The catfish see us as easy game.

GagaJo Tue 25-Oct-22 22:25:01

You can also do a reverse image search if you're wary. I've done that a few times and found the name of the REAL person in the photograph. As soon as you tell the catfish this, they scarper, sharpish.

Juggernaut Tue 25-Oct-22 22:35:54

Maybe people should stick to the rule of 'If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is'!
I honestly don't understand how anyone ever falls for a scam, they always seem so obvious!
Maybe I'm just a distrustful, bad minded, cynical old bat!

M0nica Tue 25-Oct-22 23:05:11

I have yet to fall for a scam and as I use very little social media, I get very few opportunitie to be tempted these days.

But I have no illusions, I would only say that as yet I have not fallen for any scams. I am always aware that this doesn't stop me flling for one in the future,

Witzend Tue 25-Oct-22 23:11:58

A year or so ago there was a piece in the Sunday Times by a financial journalist - who’d been scammed.
If someone like that can fall for it….

Just shows how very vigilant we need to be.

Norah Tue 25-Oct-22 23:19:01

We have been. Twice in airport arrival on a trip to Latvia.

Happens, never thought it would, but it did.

Not internet, not social media.

Just slick behaviour and slight of hand.

Dizza25 Tue 25-Oct-22 23:21:57

Chris, I am so very sorry this happened to you, unfortunately It’s increasingly common, many more people these days are looking for a relationship on line and it’s hard if you are not aware that some people are not genuine. Please don’t blame yourself, the scammers are sophisticated and know how to prey on good people. Hoping this has not affected your quest or self esteem going forward. At least you will be better prepared from now on.

Chestnut Tue 25-Oct-22 23:37:05

There's a basic rule, and that is to pull the plug the moment money is mentioned, even the smallest amount. Or if they ask then politely make it clear no money will pass hands and see how they react.

Chris732day Wed 26-Oct-22 09:07:22

Thanks, Dizza25, It took me sometime before I ventured again and my daughter recommended a site, which I went on for a month, did meet someone, but it is very early days.