Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Fake Trojan attack error message - CodeOx268d3

(1 Post)
Elegran Sat 29-Oct-22 18:05:37

I was innocently browsing Facebook when a big message wndow popped up on my screen, supposedly from Windows Defender, claiming that my computer had been infiltrated by a virus and was unable to operate. It warned not to try to restart it or close the window. As I have McAfee anti-virus and that was on and active, I suspected that this was a scam, and I was proved right.

The key reference word in the message seemed to be CodeOx268d3, so I noted that down, then went to the Task Manager (by selecting Control, Alternate, and Delete simultaneously) where I could choose to sign out or close down. I signed out and then logged back in again as soon as I could. Then I searched on good old Mr Google for CodeOx268d3. This is what I found:-

"As usual, the fake error states that the system is damaged (infected, not activated, spreading viruses, and so on). Users are encouraged to immediately resolve these issues by contacting tech support (via a telephone number ["+1-855-913-7111"] provided) and following given instructions.

Be aware, however, that is merely a scam - your computer is safe and virus free. Cyber criminals simply generate revenue by tricking users into calling and paying for tech support that is not required. Therefore, "ERROR 268D3" message should be ignored.

This error can be removed simply by closing the web browser. Bear in mind, however, that some rogue sites employ scripts that prevent users from closing browsing tabs/windows. In such cases, terminate the browser using Task Manager. After re-running the browser, do not restore the previous session, otherwise you will end up revisiting the malicious site.
at www.pcrisk.com/removal-guides/13453-error-268d3-pop-up-scam
So if you you get a warning from a pop-up message with the reference " CodeOx268d3 " just ignore it and restart your device, if necessary from the Task Window.