Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

BT Scam 01297824094

(7 Posts)
ParlorGames Thu 24-Nov-22 10:13:10

Every morning for almost a week I have received a phone call on the landline. Up to this morning I have simply ended the call. However, today I decided to listen attentively; the caller claimed to be from BT and stated that my neighbours, and other people locally, are using my internet connection and advising me to immediately log into my computer and allow the caller remote access to enable them to upgrade my security rectify to the problem. The alarm bells were ringing even louder by now,
I let the caller ramble on for several minutes - who doesn't like a bit of entertainment in the morning - before advising her that although she was speaking to quite an elderly lady, I certainly was not stupid. I went on to tell her that she and her colleagues in the call centre - I could hear other people in the background - were disgusting, vile and abhorrent.
I then told her to "Foxtrot Oscar"!
I have included the telephone number in this thread subject for your information.

henetha Thu 24-Nov-22 10:18:37

Thanks for the info ParlourGames. I had a couple this week from supposedly Amazon saying someone was ordering things in my name and would I turn on my computer so they could help me deal with it online. I said that my son would deal with it when visiting me later. She put the phone down then.
In the past I have sometimes asked if their mother knew what they were doing for a living.
I think your response was brilliant!

Georgesgran Thu 24-Nov-22 10:59:03

DD2 showed me a video of a call centre in India - professionally set up to scam people on the other side of the world. It was hilarious when the intended victim started to call the scammers by the correct names and asking how their wife X was and how their children X and X were. At first it was treated as a bit of a joke, but as the investigator continued, it was interesting to see how the scammers reacted. They have no shame.

FannyCornforth Thu 24-Nov-22 11:33:34

This year I have had loads of dodgy calls to my landline from 012 numbers.
I add them to my ‘blocked’ list.
There are at least 30 on there.

I’ve just this second had a scam Apple Pay text, and yesterday it was a Santander one

Tizliz Thu 24-Nov-22 11:42:19

Today and tomorrow ONLY the police are sending out texts to 70000 numbers they think have been victims of bank fraud. I am sure fraudsters are going to use this as an opportunity to scam more people so beware

ParlorGames Thu 24-Nov-22 11:48:40

Tizliz

Today and tomorrow ONLY the police are sending out texts to 70000 numbers they think have been victims of bank fraud. I am sure fraudsters are going to use this as an opportunity to scam more people so beware

Yes, Tizliz, I heard that on the news too and had exactly the same thought. These despicable individuals will stop at nothing!

Blossoming Thu 24-Nov-22 11:57:56

They do go a bit mad around Black Friday as there’s an increase in online shopping.