Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

PayPal scam

(11 Posts)
HurdyGurdy Wed 14-Dec-22 09:34:57

I had an email from "PayPal" advising that someone had sent a request for £499.99 for a Boots gift card, using my PayPal. There was a phone number to call.

I didn't call the number, but I did log in to my PayPal account separately. And, yes, there was the transaction pending, for £499 99.

On the same page, was a contact number - which was the same as on the email. So I called it.

I got through to a man with a very thick Asian accent. He asked me for my email address, which I gave him, using the phonetic alphabet. He didn't understand me.

At that point, I got very suspicious, and ended the call. My phone flashed up that the number was potential spam.

I cancelled the transaction on my PayPal account, and changed the password.

Very clever scam, with the same number being on the email and the PayPal page. I almost got caught. I consider myself quite savvy to spotting scams, too.

If you use TikTok search for CharliePittayne, who describes the scam (I didn't find his video until after I'd nearly been caught).

FannyCornforth Wed 14-Dec-22 09:40:30

Well done HG, that is quite a scary one

FannyCornforth Wed 14-Dec-22 09:42:24

I don’t understand how they accessed your PayPal account though?
I’ll have to look at the TikTok thing.
Thank you for sharing

HurdyGurdy Wed 14-Dec-22 09:55:52

I can only assume that one of the sellers I have bought from, using PayPal, has been breached? Not sure how that would hive them access to add a transaction to my account though.

Maybe my last password wasn't strong enough.

According to a password checker, my new password, which is 18 characters long, would take a computer 7 trillion years to crack, so I feel confident that it's safe now 🤣

FannyCornforth Wed 14-Dec-22 10:16:04

Wow! What an awesome statistic!

muse Wed 14-Dec-22 13:17:53

Thank you HurdyGurdy.

I use PayPal a lot and when a large amount shows up with them to pay out for something, I always get a text to clear it with a passcode sent to my phone.

I've just changed my password. I realised when I read your message, that I hadn't done that for ages.

Devorgilla Sun 05-Feb-23 15:08:28

That's interesting about PayPal. I don't have an account with them but sometimes they are used by a company I place an order with. Recently I sent a gift to a daughter with a company who use PayPal. This was the only time I had used this company. Today I received a text from my credit card company telling me I had suspect purchases. I contacted them using a different phone and indeed transactions had been attempted. Card cancelled, refund pending and some inconvenience while I await new card.
Of course it may be a coincidence and some other person has got the required info. At times like this you tend to scrutinize any recent purchases that don't fit into your norm.

Theexwife Sun 05-Feb-23 15:41:42

A friend of mine had £1500 taken from her paypal account, she thought it was ok to keep money in there.

She was told it had happened as she was using public wi fi, if we were out in a restaurant or an area we would be for a while she would always ask for the password and connect to theirs, this was before 5G was widely available.

It was quickly refunded by Paypal, they do seem very good at picking up on scams.

crazyH Sun 05-Feb-23 16:10:57

I’m going to check my accounts now ..

Devorgilla Sun 05-Feb-23 16:11:09

Theexwife, that's good to know that they pick up scams quickly, as does the credit card company I use. It is usually not the company/money transaction server at fault but a rogue employee or 'hack'. My daughters all use PayPal and have never had any problems.

Harris27 Sun 05-Feb-23 16:15:16

My son was scammed through PayPal be very careful.