Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Letterboxd, a clever scam

(2 Posts)
M0nica Sat 17-Dec-22 17:23:04

Yesterday I received an email from the above company informing me that I had signed up for a free trial. The email said

Welcome! You’ve signed up as xxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk at Letterboxd.

Thank you for choosing Letterboxd

You're subscribed up to watch hundreds of subscription-only classics from across the decades. Your free trial will last 14 days.

When your trial ends, you will be charged £49.00 a year automatically from your PayPal account - but you can cancel any time. The 14-day free trial is available only to first-time subscribers.
Order Number: 1212121112

Payment method: PayPal account: xxxxxxxxx.co.uk

Order date: December 13, 2022%

If you want to cancel your subscription you can access your PayPal account and follow the instructions

Cancel your subscription

The last instruction is in a bright green box. Now, I think I had an email from them last week, which I deleted without looking at it. Unfortunately I emptied my 'deleted box' last weekend.

Anyway, I went into overdrive when I first read this email. I knew I had never opened the first email. I haven't opened the second one either, so I did wonder how I could have signed up for it.

Anyway I have just googled it www.myantispyware.com/2022/12/15/letterboxd-scam-email-subscription-paypal-cancellation/ which has told me all about it.

The only thing to do is bin it. Do NOT click on the link.

Doodledog Sat 17-Dec-22 17:29:15

Scammers are getting cleverer and more believable all the time. I've heard of a few lately which sound credible enough to con people out of their money just before Christmas. I don't know what the sentences are for this sort of thing, but I hope they are severe.