Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Beware TV License scam

(10 Posts)
25Avalon Thu 19-Jan-23 11:20:58

I just received an email supposedly from TV licensing addressed to my email address rather than me telling me my services are scheduled for disconnection and tomorrow is my last chance to remain licensed. It continues I will be breaking the law if I listen to live broadcasts including IPlayer and I could be fined or sent to prison. Then there is a continue to our website sign to click. Followed by my supposedly TV license number.

A scam I thought. Their email address is weird. It’s not addressed to me by name only by email. Then the final twig your TV services cannot be disconnected by TV licensing. So if you receive one of these do NOT click to continue. DELETE immediately.

Kate1949 Thu 19-Jan-23 11:27:29

Thank you Avalon. I've had several similar ones, including one that says that my bank has refused to pay the direct debit to them which I knew wouldn't happen.

Esmay Thu 19-Jan-23 11:31:55

Haven't received that scam yet , but today I received an email from a vintage style dress company stating that there's a problem with my account and I won't be able to order from them unless I click on the link .

I haven't ordered from them for seven plus years and it was one item .

I'm pretty sure that it's a scam so I deleted it .

25Avalon Thu 19-Jan-23 11:54:57

Dh just had one saying his email was full and if he didn’t upgrade it then it would cease tomorrow. On checking it originated from Malawi so he deleted it.

nanna8 Thu 19-Jan-23 11:59:36

Time they got rid of tv licenses. Ridiculous, outdated idea. I can’t believe people just put up with it and pay.

25Avalon Thu 19-Jan-23 12:01:41

Some don’t

Yammy Thu 19-Jan-23 12:37:35

I got that yesterday Avalon and forgot to warn people Thank you. It does look rather official until you look really closely they were cutting me off last night.
I guessed a scam as DH pays the licence and it came to me.
I have also had one from a so-called American delivery company three times in the last week they obviously are not checking who they are e-mailing.

Blossoming Thu 19-Jan-23 13:05:51

I don’t have or need a TV licence. There are still a few of us.

AGAA4 Thu 19-Jan-23 13:59:15

Thank you for the warning. I've had a few threats of services I have never had being cut off.

Tweedle24 Thu 19-Jan-23 15:04:54

I first got that one when 70+ year olds got a free licence so it has been around a while. The current one seems to be from a supposed DVLA saying they were unable to take the money for my car tax.

Best thing is to forward all these scams to: [email protected] and then delete.