Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Our Future Health - asking for blood, not money. Why!

(10 Posts)
Toula Wed 03-May-23 18:25:24

I received an unsolicited email which looked as though it had come from the NHS. Blood and DNA samples being taken at English supermarket car park. I contacted NHS who said they knew nothing about it. I telephoned the contact number of "Our Future Health". The health form for completion just did not look right. Not enough information requested - for one thing. Foreign voice told me that this was entirely confidential and would only be used by NHS. Another lie. Upon further questioning, the voice said results would be shared in North America but would not say what Company. I researched OFH and discovered the link back to Glaxo Smith Kline of India. Saw an article in UK tabloid last week. GSK was offering NHS results of blood/DNA surveys - at a price. Donors would not be given any results from car park vampires. Anyone else concerned that any blood samples given belonged to OFH GSK

CanadianGran Wed 03-May-23 18:44:03

How bizarre!

V3ra Wed 03-May-23 19:17:56

ourfuturehealth.org.uk/

We've signed up for this research programme as have some of our friends.
We've had our initial screening done and have no reason to believe it's not above board.

It's a new programme and is being rolled out in two London areas, the West Midlands and Manchester to start with.
We each had a letter inviting us to join, but anyone can sign up.

Toula Thu 04-May-23 08:08:05

V3ra. I was contacted by email. I dont mind being part of controlled UK NHS research - but not that of a big pharma who stated that it would keep all records confidential and then offered to sell results to NHS. I also asked "the voice" who they were researching. I was told indigenous population.

Marydoll Thu 04-May-23 08:43:27

I have had a look at this and it's untrue that the NHS are not involved. Its a partnership, of which the NHS is part.
I am all for scientific research, as long as rigorous protocols are in place.
Over the years I have been involved in various medical research projects.

Many years ago, I broke my spine in two places and was asked if I wanted to take part in an NHS project sponsored by the Mayo clinic, where bone cement would be injected into my spine. There would be two groups, once receiving analgesic treatment and one receiving cement.
It would be six months, before the patient would know which treatment they had.
DH didn't want me to do it but I insisted. Otherwise I would have enthalpy been in a wheelchair.
I received the cement and knew almost immediately, because my pain levels decreased dramatically. I was able to return to work in weeks.
That procedure eventually became common for patients with vertebraic fractures here.
I have no objection to my data being used to help others.

Secondly, at the moment I am part of a research project, sponsored by BHF and being carried out by the Glasgow University Hospitals Trust.
I have a heart condition, which for many years, hundreds of women have died from, due to that condition being difficult to diagnose.
As a result, new procedures have been developed to diagnose (it happened to me) and new medication developed. Previously there was no suitable treatment.
It has also been discovered that the condition is genetic.
That research has prolonged my life, it's a no-brainer for me.

Thirdly, recently I was asked to make my medical records available to Roche Pharmaceuticals.
I had experienced serious side effects from biologics and the company are legally advised to investigate.
I checked with my RA consultant and he stated that this is standard procedure.

How are medical treatment and procedures going to develop, if there is no research?
The NHS certainly doesn't have the funds to do so.

choughdancer Thu 04-May-23 10:56:02

V3ra thank you for providing the link to this programme. I have signed up and am glad to do so. I feel that it is appropriate to use modern technology to help research into health, such as this programme.

Toula Sat 06-May-23 11:41:56

I am not against medical research, but I reiterate that when I telephoned the NHS they knew nothing about OFH programme. I traced this back to a big pharma based in India. There was a news article more recently that the OFH would sell results back to NHS. Surely, if OFH were part of the NHS they would not be offering to sell results of finding. I started researching as I don't believe in car park tests anyway. I was once told by NHS Oncologist that these mobile units are not accurate, and to go to hospitals with more accurate and calibrated equipment.

V3ra Sat 06-May-23 16:11:07

I was once told by NHS Oncologist that these mobile units are not accurate, and to go to hospitals with more accurate and calibrated equipment.

The tests they did were height, weight, waist circumference, blood pressure, heart rate and finger-prick bloods for cholesterol levels.
Further bloods were taken to be sent away for testing.

Retread Sat 06-May-23 16:35:18

I've also participated in the Future Health research programme. I received a letter in the mail, completed an online survey, and I've had bloods taken, cholesterol and BP checked and basic measurements taken by a nurse, in a seperate area of a big Boots store. I'm happy to assist in medical research, I've done so several times.

Toula "I phoned the NHS and they knew nothing about it" is rather vague. Which NHS department and who are "they"? 🤔 I believe that the NHS supports the Future Health project.

NotSpaghetti Sat 06-May-23 16:44:47

I wish the NHS wouldn't outsource data management.
Get someone good to set it up for you, yes. But the NHS ought to own it.