Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Bank card arriving unexpectedly

(11 Posts)
FarNorth Sun 14-May-23 11:55:17

I saw this on facebook, about an apparently genuine bank card arriving with a letter giving instructions on how to 'activate' it.

But it was a scam.

libra10 Sun 14-May-23 11:57:35

Thanks for the warning @FarNorth.

Have heard of most of the usual scams, but this is new to me.

Callistemon21 Sun 14-May-23 12:11:17

That's a new one! Whatever next.

Thank you FarNorth

Foxygloves Sun 14-May-23 12:16:43

Similar thing happened to me so I cut it up and binned it.
The following week my bank card was declined on three occasions and in a panic I rang the bank, afraid my card had been cloned. They checked and it hadn’t but offered to cancel it and send me a new one.
Then they asked “By the way did you not get the new card we sent you last week as we are changing from Visa to Mastercard debit cards?”
Embarrassed silence at my end!
Oops 😳😳😳😳
All was sorted but I did feel a ninny. (In my defence a letter accompanying the new card would have avoided any confusion )

karmalady Sun 14-May-23 12:19:01

Thanks for that very important warning Farnorth

Blossoming Sun 14-May-23 13:28:07

Santander have said the Facebook message is probably fake. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be careful when receiving messages or letters claiming to be from your bank. I’m suspicious of all emails these days.

fullfact.org/online/santander-card-scam/

ExDancer Sun 14-May-23 13:37:59

I've just received one from Lloyds. It doesn't have a magnetic strip. I've destroyed the letter that came with it, but it did say there was no need to activate it.
Now, I'm wondering ........

NanaDana Sun 14-May-23 13:44:27

Blossoming

Santander have said the Facebook message is probably fake. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be careful when receiving messages or letters claiming to be from your bank. I’m suspicious of all emails these days.

fullfact.org/online/santander-card-scam/

Not surprised, Blossoming, as there was something about the Facebook post which just didn't ring true to me. Clickbait, I suspect, as there's a lot of it about. As regards scams, they're so prevalent now that I'm reluctant to believe ANY emails/SMS/texts or even written correspondence these days without double checking directly with my bank. As for phone calls, no way, as most banks advise that they'd never contact you that way, and would certainly not ask for personal details or "arrange" transfers to allegedly safeguard your account. You can't be too careful.

Georgesgran Sun 14-May-23 14:05:01

Same here - in March, my Mastercard was declined and M&S said they’d sent me a new one (didn’t get it) even though the old one doesn’t expire until 8/23. Replacement arrived safely, but it had me a bit worried.

FarNorth Mon 15-May-23 15:37:29

Not a ninny at all Foxygloves.
Imo banks are far too casual about a lot of things.
It's only sensible to be careful.

FarNorth Mon 15-May-23 15:46:36

Does it matter if that message is fake?
It highlights that we should be watchful about communications we get, as you say Blossoming and NanaDana.

I got a scam call from someone pretending to be my bank & trying to get my card number.
The bank knew nothing about it - not surprising as it was a crook impersonating the bank.
I don't suppose I was they only one they tried it on.