Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Strange personal messages

(44 Posts)
Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Oct-26 09:45:51

After posting on a thread, I got a cheerful-sounding PM from someone commenting favourably on what I had said and asking some fairly reasonable questions. We had a few messages backwards and forwards, but it occurred to me that all the questions were based on bouncing back what I had said, and that the poster didn't come up with any original ideas. Also, there was no first name at the end of the messages, which I (perhaps wrongly) regarded as etiquette for PMs.

Anyway, I was pretty sure that it was a bot, and I know that I am not the only person to have had PMs from that "person". Apparently the name is now classed as a "former user", so perhaps someone has already reported it.

We all need to think about PMs from unfamiliar names - are they looking for information or am I paranoid?...

Llamedos13 Thu 08-Oct-26 13:21:55

Chestersmiles sent me a pm asking why I liked sketchers Toms shoes .I posted a photo of them on the show us your shoes thread.He asked what it was about them that I liked.🤷‍♀️I did not respond.

mokryna Thu 08-Oct-26 13:24:56

If everyone reports Csmiles the the name will be blocked… in time another to pop up. However, GN has not confirmed it is in receipt of my report, yet, in its usual rapid response.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Oct-26 13:35:12

Marydoll

^I am fairly sure it’s a foot fetishised.^.

Mine was also about shoes. 🤣

Mine was about shortbread. Can you be a shortbread fetishist, I wonder?

Another GN member ( a real one) told me that a search on GN for Chestersmiles said that it was the name of a former user.

Like you, mokryna, I haven't had the quick response I was expecting from GNHQ. However, I've never reported a PM before, so maybe they don't respond to that in the same way as they do to a reported post.

Usedtobeblonde Thu 08-Oct-26 13:35:42

In my reply I didnot sign with my name, only Regards.
I did make a reference to my region but no detail as to where in the area and gave no other personal information, my original post to which he referred contained the information that I am a widow, but that is all.

butterandjam Thu 08-Oct-26 14:08:50

Usedtobeblonde

I am going to confess to replying to Chestersmiles.
I now wonder if I should block him, it all seemed so very innocent but I did say I was concerned about giving out personal information to a stranger.
He replied that he totally understood my concern and was very old fashioned about such matters.
Am I being drawn into a cult, will I be talked into the white slave trade at 89?
Will I be asked to send 1000’s of dollars?
Seriously though is a con?

You've been charmed by a conman who targets old ladies online . Online, he can imitate the charm and manners of an oldfashioned gentlemen.

However, "used to be blonde" suggest your hair is now grey or white; age range reveal. "Gransnet"; confirmation of social status.

Potentially a frail elderly widow living alone; owns a valuable property and healthy bank account. After a bit more gentlemanly charm and reassurance, could easily reveal either her own or family members full names, ages/birth/marriage/death dates/ location. Making all an ideal target for ID theft.

Or he could just sell your details online; "daft old dear , easy victim/target for knockers, or a break-in".

Usedtobeblonde Thu 08-Oct-26 14:16:05

All/most of us who post on the Good morning thread say where we are posting from, in other posts we say where we are visiting nearby, we talk about our families,our general doings.
Some post about their homes, indicating wealth in some cases, some being lonely and vulnerable.

I am seriously concerned now.
So concerned I am going to consider every post I make.
I am furious that someone can make me feel so ill at ease and scared.

Smileless2012 Thu 08-Oct-26 14:20:27

I had messages from Chestersmiles too. I searched and as there was no history of posts on GN, ignored him/her.

butterandjam Thu 08-Oct-26 14:56:10

mokryna

I had a strange one from San Francisco last week, I reported it. It was questioning me about my grocery shopping and what kind of shoes I buy.

Your grocery shopping can signal you're shopping and cooking for one; and a great deal about your social , financial and health status.

The kind of shoes and older woman buys/wears are an indicator of health, fitness, social activity and mobility.

Oreo Thu 08-Oct-26 14:59:57

My Nigerian Prince seems to have dumped me😩

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Oct-26 15:13:49

Oreo, I don't understand why I got messages from a shortbread fetishist from San Francisco, but not from a Nigerian Prince who wants to give me money. It's not fair!

I'm sorry you've been dumped though. You must be very disappointed. grin

Retread Thu 08-Oct-26 15:20:46

"... be sure to wear some flowers in your hair ... 🎵 🎹 🎶 (I also got the DM from San Francisco. I blocked the sender. Boring. Didn't report it so I'm glad others did).

Sometimes I think the DM function is unnecessary. Do GN members often use it I wonder...

Marydoll Thu 08-Oct-26 15:23:03

The rogue poster has obviously been trawling GN, for info,

I suspect they are looking for vulnerable posters, to scam.

Just don't respond and block.

Esmay Thu 08-Oct-26 15:24:32

butterandjam -
No I didn't.
I once had a guy posing as a soldier in Afghanistan and after asking me to marry him -he wanted money in order to explore a hidden cache of gold !
I didn't comply.

Oreo Thu 08-Oct-26 15:26:18

Wheniwasyourage

*Oreo*, I don't understand why I got messages from a shortbread fetishist from San Francisco, but not from a Nigerian Prince who wants to give me money. It's not fair!

I'm sorry you've been dumped though. You must be very disappointed. grin

I’m gutted.
I was going to invest in his up and coming witch doctor business that he advertised on here.

ixion Thu 08-Oct-26 16:02:48

Smileless2012

I had messages from Chestersmiles too. I searched and as there was no history of posts on GN, ignored him/her.

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/a1361939-Trump-Carlson-on-Trumps-nihilism

No hint of feet in his/her contribution here!
🦶

Calendargirl Thu 08-Oct-26 16:26:42

C Smiles followed up my reply to a post, I had said a tv series I was watching was a book I had read, but couldn’t remember the outcome.

He asked me what sort of books I liked?

📚🤷‍♀️

TillyTrotter Thu 08-Oct-26 16:33:29

I had a “foot” one from USA and ignored it as I thought it was someone with a foot fetish .

TillyTrotter Thu 08-Oct-26 16:33:54

Always suspicious, me 😁