Gransnet forums

Scams and fraud

Cold Caller from "Amazon"

(5 Posts)
Scribbles Sun 18-Apr-21 09:26:53

A friend told me of an attempted scam in his area (S Yorkshire) last week.

A man carrying a clipboard was going door to door and claiming to be from Amazon.

His story was that they were updating their records of everyone's nominated 'safe place' for their couriers to leave parcels when nobody's in!

Fortunately, nobody in the village fell for it and the caller's photograph is now with the local police and on the local FB site.
Is there no end to their creativity hmm?

Callistemon Sun 18-Apr-21 09:38:31

He doesn't sound as bright as the usual scammers, Scribbles!
the caller's photograph is now with the local police and on the local FB site. grin

Amazon once texted me a photo of my parcel outside a house which I did not recognise. They did send a replacement.

There is no end to what the scammers will think of next.

Oldwoman70 Sun 18-Apr-21 10:51:04

I'm afraid I treat all unknown callers (whether on the phone or in person) as suspect. It is sad that we have to be so careful. I don't think it used to be this bad - or is it that we are now more aware of it

Lollin Wed 28-Apr-21 17:43:04

Apparently Amazon decided to phone me today to tell me to ring a number so I could arrange for them to try delivering my parcel again!

Not expecting anything but thought wouldn’t they pop a card through the letterbox. However a funny year for the scammers to try claiming someone wasn’t in given how many are home these days.

ExD Mon 03-May-21 11:15:50

From my limited experience, amazon leave the parcel on the step and take its photo, they don't take the parcel back food re-delivery.